Boomsday

New to Home Audio

I just have a few quick questions.

First Im going to buy a receiver and I notice alot of them have HDMI inputs now, how much does that really help???

I can build my own towers, how are dayton audio components?

278885445_zps33dfd389.gif

HDMI actually carries audio and video at a higher rate than your rca and optical cables. so instead of audio and video cables its just one. if you have a smart TV (TV's that can go online) you need to get a receiver with ARC. good place to get receiver is accesories4less, price wise i would go with Onkyo, Denon and yamaha.

let me know if you need help

HDMI actually carries audio and video at a higher rate than your rca and optical cables. so instead of audio and video cables its just one. if you have a smart TV (TV's that can go online) you need to get a receiver with ARC. good place to get receiver is accesories4less, price wise i would go with Onkyo, Denon and yamaha.

let me know if you need help

Tried to pm you, but ur box is full :(

[quote name='Boomsday']Tried to pm you, but ur box is full :([/QUOTE]

I am going to be running dayton components soon. They are in my sig. @keep_hope_alive ; He uses some daytons and loves them.

The HDMI is for audio. It allows you to play 256kbps. Optical goes up to 192kbps.
Pioneer, Harmon Kardon, Yamaha, Denon, Sony, and Onkyo all make receivers.

Head Unit Pioneer P99RS

3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Power and 3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Ground

1 XS Power D3400 & 2 XS Power XP3000 with Copper Bus Bars

380 Amp & 320 Amp Iraggi Alternators(One is a chevy case, the other ford)

RD 7500.1 running 2 12 inch SPLaudio (AA Mayhem motors/baskets)

Tuned to 36 hertz. About 4.5 cubic feet, 8" Aeroport (made by dbeez)

Zed Audio Leviathan III on Morel MDT-29, RS100-4 & RS225-8 Daytons

Alex Jones www.infowars.com Endgame, Obama Deception, Truth Rising,

Fluoride in the water, poison in vaccines, chemical trails in the skyglobal

elite banks run our government towards a one world global government.

I love this site AVS Forum and did research there before making my receiver purchase 6 months ago. I would stick with a receiver that is 3d capable if you plan to watch 3d and try and find a receiver that has maybe at least 3 hdmi. In my opinion, this should give you a little "future proof" specs for the receiver. Just my $.02

I bought a Denon to replace my Onkyo. I love Onkyo still, but found a deal on the Denon on Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons & Discounts on Laptops, Computers, LCDs, TVs, Dell, HP, Apple, Amazon It's nice to also have receiver that connects to the internet, because we listen to Pandora radio quite a bit at the house.

If 3d capability and hdmi is not someting you are interested in, I have an Onkyo older receiver I'd sell cheap or trade for a battery :)

Bought From: JohnnyBASS, Boomsday

Sold To: whitedragon551

Headunit: Pioneer AVH-P8400BH

Front: Hertz Energy ECX-165

Rear: Alpine SPE-6090

Front/Rear Amp: Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4

Sub: 2 Obsidian Audio D4 12" Sealed Enclosure & Massive DMX Stage 2 15"

Sub Amp: Rockford Fosgate Power T500-1bdCP & Mark Antony MK3000D

INCOMING: Mark Antony GS1000D

I love this site AVS Forum and did research there before making my receiver purchase 6 months ago. I would stick with a receiver that is 3d capable if you plan to watch 3d and try and find a receiver that has maybe at least 3 hdmi. In my opinion, this should give you a little "future proof" specs for the receiver. Just my $.02

I bought a Denon to replace my Onkyo. I love Onkyo still, but found a deal on the Denon on Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons & Discounts on Laptops, Computers, LCDs, TVs, Dell, HP, Apple, Amazon It's nice to also have receiver that connects to the internet, because we listen to Pandora radio quite a bit at the house.

If 3d capability and hdmi is not someting you are interested in, I have an Onkyo older receiver I'd sell cheap or trade for a battery :)

most of them will do pass thru on 3d now adays the one you really want to watch out for is to make sure it can do arc since most new tv's are smart tv now. your tv becomes a source now instead of just output for video

I'm no expert but I've got a pair of towers running (in each) 1 dayton tweet, two dayton mids (I believe they're 3.5 or 4") and one 10" dayton sub with an Onkyo receiver. The center is an off the shefl klipsch center speaker. I'm not running any surrounds right now out of laziness. I ended up designing the crossovers myself in using a crossover design program where you can input the actual parameters of the speakers and see the graphed response. Parts express sells crossover components, I just mounted mine to a couple of small pieces of plywood.

c3bbE.gif

I prefer Onkyo receivers (in the sub-$1000 range). Excellent build quality, great sound, and great features.

I think Dayton makes a quality driver that is a nice choice for anyone.

HDMI switching is nice if you have a cheaper TV with limited HDMI inputs. HDMI switching also simplifies remote control operation. with a nice TV, actually using receiver HDMI switching should be avoided - we want to minimize cabling and connections and conversions.

HDMI switching is a standard feature with new receivers and it's fairly cheap (compared to component video switching of old).

2014 Accord Sport build log:

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos

My 1966 MGB Restoration: http://www.mgexp.com/journal/keephopealive

Fix Photobucket Image Loading ------> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fix/ <------

2016caraudiologos (2).jpg

I prefer Onkyo receivers (in the sub-$1000 range). Excellent build quality, great sound, and great features.

I think Dayton makes a quality driver that is a nice choice for anyone.

HDMI switching is nice if you have a cheaper TV with limited HDMI inputs. HDMI switching also simplifies remote control operation. with a nice TV, actually using receiver HDMI switching should be avoided - we want to minimize cabling and connections and conversions.

HDMI switching is a standard feature with new receivers and it's fairly cheap (compared to component video switching of old).

What conversion would there be? Minimizing cabling may have been a factor in the old analog days but HDMI is digital and not susceptible to signal loss and the receiver just passes the video signal through untouched...

c3bbE.gif

Hmm what would be the best bang for your buck Under $200 with HDMI?? I saw a yamaha

look at this $160

Onkyo TX-NR414 5.1 Home Theaterl 3-D Ready Network A/V Receiver | Accessories4less

main stuff

Special Features

6in/1out HDMI Support for 3D Video and Audio Return Channel

Network Capability Delivers Internet Radio and Network Streaming

Picture-in-Picture Input Source Preview with InstaPrevue™ Technology

Direct Digital Connection of iPod/iPhone via Front-Panel USB Port

Onkyo Remote App for iPod/iPhone

Convenient Overlaid On-Screen Display via HDMI

Optional iPod Dock / HDradio module via proprietary U.Port

Audyssey 2EQ w/ Dynamic EQ

DOLBY Decoder True HD, DD Plus

DTS Decoder DTS-HD Master Audio

HDMI Version V1.4a (supports 3D video and Audio Return Channel)

I got a Sony 5.1 receiver off Craigslist for cheap (60 bucks). It's huge. 110 per channel. It's right before HDMI came out but still a nice receiver. I pretty much put an entire surround system together for around 300 bucks off Craigslist. Lol! Got 2 older 10" DCM front's, 2 Yamaha bookshelf for rears, a cerwin vega center channel and I bought a 12" Dayton sub from Partsexpress when they were on sale for 100 bucks shipped. Bought a Vizio Bluray from a pawnshop for 40 bucks. Home audio loses a lot of value used for some reason. Getting things extremely cheap has become my life's work....

That refurb Onkyo above^^^ looks like a great deal!

look at this $160

Onkyo TX-NR414 5.1 Home Theaterl 3-D Ready Network A/V Receiver | Accessories4less

main stuff

Special Features

6in/1out HDMI Support for 3D Video and Audio Return Channel

Network Capability Delivers Internet Radio and Network Streaming

Picture-in-Picture Input Source Preview with InstaPrevue™ Technology

Direct Digital Connection of iPod/iPhone via Front-Panel USB Port

Onkyo Remote App for iPod/iPhone

Convenient Overlaid On-Screen Display via HDMI

Optional iPod Dock / HDradio module via proprietary U.Port

Audyssey 2EQ w/ Dynamic EQ

DOLBY Decoder True HD, DD Plus

DTS Decoder DTS-HD Master Audio

HDMI Version V1.4a (supports 3D video and Audio Return Channel)

I got a Sony 5.1 receiver off Craigslist for cheap (60 bucks). It's huge. 110 per channel. It's right before HDMI came out but still a nice receiver. I pretty much put an entire surround system together for around 300 bucks off Craigslist. Lol! Got 2 older 10" DCM front's, 2 Yamaha bookshelf for rears, a cerwin vega center channel and I bought a 12" Dayton sub from Partsexpress when they were on sale for 100 bucks shipped. Bought a Vizio Bluray from a pawnshop for 40 bucks. Home audio loses a lot of value used for some reason. Getting things extremely cheap has become my life's work....

That refurb Onkyo above^^^ looks like a great deal!

Ok I will go with that, probably gonna order when I get off of work

Now the towers, would they be just like car audio comps, meaning i need to find one with a crossover network and wire them in parallel or series to get the desired impedance

I'd buy used. I literally just picked out a receiver for my sister. Used lets you get a better one than what you could buy for new. She got a Yamaha that was the 2nd highest model when it was made. And it looks like the guy never even used it. $100. and it was $550 when it was new.

Head Unit Pioneer P99RS

I'd buy used. I literally just picked out a receiver for my sister. Used lets you get a better one than what you could buy for new. She got a Yamaha that was the 2nd highest model when it was made. And it looks like the guy never even used it. $100. and it was $550 when it was new.

I have no problem buying used I just dont no what to look for, I'm gonna need two, one for the main living room and one for my man cave

I have no problem buying used I just dont no what to look for, I'm gonna need two, one for the main living room and one for my man cave

Dang. You really need 2?

Well I didn't know what to look for either when I was helping my sister out. But I started searching Craigslist. First thing I did was reply to ones that had features I wanted. To make sure the person still had them. Because we all know that no one ever deletes there ads on craigslist. because that would just make too much sense.

So when they would reply back to me and they had it. I would google search the name and model. I would check CNET reviews. And try to find the manufacturer page to see if it was a low-mid-high end receiver corresponding to the other models.

The yamaha I picked out for her came in 10 models I believe. Her model was the 2nd highest model. So you know it has good features and quality since it isn't a entry level.

Head Unit Pioneer P99RS

Dang. You really need 2?

Well I didn't know what to look for either when I was helping my sister out. But I started searching Craigslist. First thing I did was reply to ones that had features I wanted. To make sure the person still had them. Because we all know that no one ever deletes there ads on craigslist. because that would just make too much sense.

So when they would reply back to me and they had it. I would google search the name and model. I would check CNET reviews. And try to find the manufacturer page to see if it was a low-mid-high end receiver corresponding to the other models.

The yamaha I picked out for her came in 10 models I believe. Her model was the 2nd highest model. So you know it has good features and quality since it isn't a entry level.

The man cave one doesnt have to have much of anything, could be a cheap, free, or old, just as long as it works

Get an onkyo with on screen display from accesories4less like mentioned, the best one you can afford, they are the only onkyo refurbished authorized distributor online, they will honor the warranty, pick up 3 pairs of these for center, fronts, and surrounds

Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair 300-652

Get one of these subs

Powered Subwoofers in the Home Audio / Video Department at Parts Express | 95 - 301

Get these

Dayton Audio TT25-16 PUCK Tactile Transducer Mini Bass Shake 300-389

Get this to power them

Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier 300-784

And get a 100ft roll of 16awg while you are there and some Dayton hdmi cables (which are on sale) and don't forget a subwoofer rca cable and a short rca to jump from the sub to the other plate amp

Thank me later

refs

woc47, nigro013, defconx3, louisiana_crx, bld 25, supa_c, lancer1978, sxkicker89, 310w6, more, i forget

shitbricks.gif

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now