New to Home Audio

The pioneer is a good price, the main difference i see is the onkyo will do internet but only 5.1, the pioneer cannot do internet but 7.1

HDMI Pioneer has 4 input and Onkyo has 6 input

I am not sure if the Pioneer will do Audio Return Channel if you have a smart TV (if you do you need this Audio Return Channel), but the Onlyo will do this

good find on CL though

The pioneer is a good price, the main difference i see is the onkyo will do internet but only 5.1, the pioneer cannot do internet but 7.1

I am not sure if the Pioneer will do Audio Return Channel if you have a smart TV (if you do you need this Audio Return Channel), but the Onlyo will do this

good find on CL though
I think I'd still go with the Onkyo just for the piece of mind that it's a new piece of equipment. I mean for the price difference you don't know what that Pioneer has been through. Just a thought.... Plus I don't really even like 7.1 it's too many damn speakers in my opinion and unless you spend an assload of money on a 7.1 system you're not going to hear a big difference anyway.

I think I'd still go with the Onkyo just for the piece of mind that it's a new piece of equipment. I mean for the price difference you don't know what that Pioneer has been through. Just a thought.... Plus I don't really even like 7.1 it's too many damn speakers in my opinion and unless you spend an assload of money on a 7.1 system you're not going to hear a big difference anyway.
Thanx I will scoop that one up, My local CL has no good deals tho //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I like the bookshelves cause really that's all you need and I prefer to have every speaker exactly the same, just easier to tweak it right, like your rears could sound to drab or flat, well if you eq it up then your fronts may be too bright then, or the sound shift to the back and all the sudden the back is brighter, just a preference of mine to make it easier
agreed. I have never like'd the sound of towers. bookshelves sound better.

not always the case when the receiver also does up-conversion of other inputs to HDMI. then the signal can pass through a process.
all connections are subject to digital loss. all contacts, plugs, etc. are sources of resistance.
Well yes, if it's upconverting a non HD signal then of course there will be conversion. But a 1080p HDMI signal would need no conversion and resistance or not there is no quality loss with a digital signal.

good find on CL though

when you say "do internet" what do you mean??

I found this one as well for a good price

Yamaha RX-V373 Home theater receiver with 3D-ready HDMI switching at Crutchfield.com

Well yes, if it's upconverting a non HD signal then of course there will be conversion. But a 1080p HDMI signal would need no conversion and resistance or not there is no quality loss with a digital signal.
you are assuming that the receiver doesn't do anything to the signal and that it switches it only. but if the receiver tries to always output 1080p then it has to pass every signal through a processor to analyze it.

i have personally seen signal degradation when running HDMI through a receiver vs. direct to a TV. i do not recall if it was upconverting or not.

it's an easy thing to experiment with.

It means you can hook it up online and get pandora, tune in radio, slacker radio etc and can also get update online
I use Pandora and youtube from the Bluray once in a while for music. I also just run my phone through the receiver. Good sound from Pandora imo. Better than my phone for some reason.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.