CAR AUDIO VS HOME AUDIO

What would you say are the main differences you have noticed between your car stereo and your home stereo regarding sound quality and sound experience ? Which one is more enjoyable for you ?
Home stereo sounds much better, images better by mile and cost much less and was way easier to set up. Car audio system has more sub bass.

My stereo at home is more for "background noise" while I'm doing stuff...the car is where I tend to actually listen the music more...

Last edited:
What would you say are the main differences you have noticed between your car stereo and your home stereo regarding sound quality and sound experience ? Which one is more enjoyable for you ?
I like my car audio better. I can play it LOUD!!! and not worry about complaints. However, my living room and garage setups also sound good. Never thought to compare, as I can adjust the sound using equalizers and other controls. Interesting topic.

Should be a lot less ambient noise at home so you don't NEED it to drown everyone else out.

I also listen to peaceful relaxing, feel good music at home. When I'm driving I want something that is going to wake and fire me up.

Home Audio.. I can sit back in a recliner and Pass out with a Cold one with the tunes going and sleep like a baby

Home Audio.. I can sit back in a recliner and Pass out with a Cold one with the tunes going and sleep like a baby
I have been using a yamaha pro audio p3500s hooked up to a yamaha home surround reciever for a long while.how did i get a balanced signal to an unbalanced signal ? Rolls mb15b.i guess you could say its a line driver.i have 4 alpine 6090e's 6x9's in 6x9 boxes with the slanted back..two in front.

one on each side of tv and two in the back on each side of the sofa connected to the 7.1 reciever.and 2 diamond d6's wired for 2000rms watts on the p3500s.sounds really good.i have been using this setup for several years except for the 7.1 surround sound reciever.i have only had this version for about 4 years.

one of my diamond d6's got retired out of one of my rides long ago.got that thing so hot it when i ran it in the car on rebass music,the heat faded the logo on the cone almost out.still kickin ass in the home system.sounds damn good on movies,special singing events on tv,and music.it will rattle the pictures on the wall and i have a big living room although i rarely use it for that.

thats what my system in my truck is for.and on my laptop,i have itunes and i can play any song,album i want via BT from laptop to yamaha reciever.why did i do it like that ? cause i could lol.honestly i wanted to get back to where home receivers were back in the day where you didnt have to use one of those plate amps.it was ALL built in to the recievers...but my way works just as good.

Really can’t compare the two as the listening environments are totally different. Unless you’re driving a Rolls, you aint neva going to get the same out of your car systems as you could at home. I’ve been doing this for over 40 years. I have well over 30k in the home system and the sheer size of the area in which you can project sound in a home compared to a car in and of itself allows for an ambience you cannot duplicate in a car. (the better comparison would be, for $4000, which would you prefer and why) The goal in my car is to come as close as I can to headphones with lots more BASS! Conversely, getting the same thump, rumble and tumble at home, well that isn’t as easy as it is in a car. To equal the two Focal 13” polyglass subs powered by a DS18 EXL2500.1 in my car setup, in the home I have two Peerless dual 10” driven infra-bass 3 cubic foot subs tuned to 22hz powered by an Adcom GFA 5800 (that’s a total of 4 10’s), two, 2.5 cubic foot subs loaded with dual Vifa 10” drivers tuned to 25hz (that’s another 4 10’s) powered by another Adcom GFA-5800, (that’s 4 subs and counting), a single 18” Dayton Ultimax sub in a 12 cubic ft box tuned to 16hz and powered by a Dayton 1000 watt rack mounted amp, all running through a 4x8 DSP. That doesn’t include additional midbass punch provided by the Focal Aria mains, the Focal Aria super center or the 4 Focal surround and Atmos ceiling Focals. It can absolutely astonish you with emotional, hair standing up on your arms volume with presence and clarity that would simply hurt you in a car. Then again, hard to travel to the lake in my house.

Last edited:
I haven't had a proper home theater or home audio system in quite a few years but here's what I remember. I like both systems to perform the same so it's more of a this vs that scenario for me.

Home audio is so much simpler. Tuning and **** takes literal minutes or a few hours instead of days/weeks.

Home audio is less exciting in a sense. Running 3 way is virtually unnecessary, 2 - 18" drivers in a home theater isn't that extreme, everything kinda looses it's "fun" factor when you have a whole room of space and an entire power grid to run it.

Car audio seems louder/more violent even with comparable power/drivers. This is mostly due to space and whatnot, but still.

You have alot less options for huge power in home audio unless you have specific breakers installed for it. 20 amps on a 120v line is only 2400w.

Overall I like my car better. It stand out more, sounds great, and surprises people. The same setup in my house would be kinda "meh" because it's a house, and who hasn't seen it before.

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...