Good new 6.5" comps for around $300

sjv13
10+ year member

StayStrange
I have some entry-level focals right now. They certainly get the job done, but I feel like there should be more punch/kick coming from things like snare drum hits, etc.

So yeah, recommend me something. A personal review of what you are recommending would be nice too.

Looking to stay around the 75+ wrms rating too.

Wow, so sorry I didnt even realize there was a thread with almost this exact title two from the top of the list. haha.

Ive been through alot of components over the years, and a good friend of mine talked me into getting a set of cdt, AND THEY ARE FANTASTIC FOR WHAT i PAID FOR THEM!! The vocals are amazing,the highs are impressive, and the mid can be brute,or even mellow.I have approx 100rms on them.These are what I have, but got a much better deal on them.MyLows on this Forum sells the newest and latest models with full warranty.LOL while writting this you popped up needing 2" depth??

Well,one set I have, and the second are also going back up front as well,that may be just fine for you

WoofersEtc.com - ES-063it - CDT Audio 6.5" 2-Way Mid-bass Enhanced Braxial Component Set

WoofersEtc.com - CL-62 - CDT Audio 6.5" 2 Way Component Speakers

Massive Audio CK6 III/V/X are some of the best for bass extension and overall sound. Good power handling. Another interesting set is the new JBL MS-62C. A few other interesting speakers are JL Audio C3, C5, and Polk Audio MM.

Here are some reviews:

HAT I6 vs Massive CK3 - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

JBL MS-62c First impressions. These surprised the hell out of me! - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

polk mm6501 or JL C3 6.5 or JL C5 - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

I would also toss Hybrid Audio Unity into the mix, but they cost about $350 online. Maybe they're cheaper at a dealer. Bass is well composed and detailed, but not really that loud without a subwoofer. Very good power handling. Overall a great high end speaker. These are effectively the same as the cheaper HAT Imagine, but with a better passive crossover network. The HAT Imagine is a good set as far as raw drivers are concerned but you have to run them active IMO.

until the last requirement I would have recommended XS65s.. sonic Electronix had em on sale for the mids for 160 a while back.. the tweets were 80 so 240 for a GREAT set
If I make my own bracket out of MDF, do you think I could get more than the 2-1/4" of top mount depth I have right now with the stock plastic bracket?

If I make my own bracket out of MDF, do you think I could get more than the 2-1/4" of top mount depth I have right now with the stock plastic bracket?
Well if you need 2" as stated before, and could go with 2 1/4, use 1/2-3/4 and you shouldnt have any issues, or buy some pods, and be able to put whatever you want in them,or if you are good building, and have the patience you can make you some also wrap them in whatever youd like also.Here are some pods that might work for you,a little more money to spend, but can give you more options for other depths of components

+07 GM Fullsize Truck Dual Speaker Front Door Pods

Ive been through alot of components over the years, and a good friend of mine talked me into getting a set of cdt, AND THEY ARE FANTASTIC FOR WHAT i PAID FOR THEM!! The vocals are amazing,the highs are impressive, and the mid can be brute,or even mellow.I have approx 100rms on them.These are what I have, but got a much better deal on them.MyLows on this Forum sells the newest and latest models with full warranty.LOL while writting this you popped up needing 2" depth??Well,one set I have, and the second are also going back up front as well,that may be just fine for you

WoofersEtc.com - ES-063it - CDT Audio 6.5" 2-Way Mid-bass Enhanced Braxial Component Set

WoofersEtc.com - CL-62 - CDT Audio 6.5" 2 Way Component Speakers
Yeah, my doors must be pretty shallow. On crutchfield when I put in my car the deepest one I see that comes up is 2-1/4"

Well if you need 2" as stated before, and could go with 2 1/4, use 1/2-3/4 and you shouldnt have any issues, or buy some pods, and be able to put whatever you want in them,or if you are good building, and have the patience you can make you some also wrap them in whatever youd like also.Here are some pods that might work for you,a little more money to spend, but can give you more options for other depths of components+07 GM Fullsize Truck Dual Speaker Front Door Pods
Yeah, the plastic bracket sticks out quite a bit from the door

View attachment 26537364

The door pod wouldnt work though because when I close the door, the speaker is pretty close to the side of my dash. Hard to explain, but look at this picture and try to imagine it with the door closed. It ends up being next to where the yellow and white warning sticker is.

View attachment 26537365

EDTIT: Okay, so maybe not that close to the sticker, as it isnt that close the front of the car when the door is closed... but either way, those door pods would hit in that location when I close the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the plastic bracket sticks out quite a bit from the door
View attachment 26537364

The door pod wouldnt work though because when I close the door, the speaker is pretty close to the side of my dash. Hard to explain, but look at this picture and try to imagine it with the door closed. It ends up being next to where the yellow and white warning sticker is.

View attachment 26537365

EDTIT: Okay, so maybe not that close to the sticker, as it isnt that close the front of the car when the door is closed... but either way, those door pods would hit in that location when I close the door.
What kind of vehicle is it??By the way..that kinda blows being close to the side of the dash like that.Id have to look at the door personally to see what could work..maybe a car lot vehicle same as yours.Kind of a shame to have the speaker blaring into the side of the dash,not good for SQ thus far.another option would be to use kick panels like by Qlogic, and maybe put a midrange in the original speaker location/run a 3 way set up would be really nice

Is it the Volvo in your sig?2000 model?Ive never messed with a volvo before..Id sure find a way to run a good set of components though,if I could.id have to go look at a Volvo/check one out

I have some custom door pods I could sell you
I'm not sure I'm into that much customization. This is my first car, and dont want to put too much into it that I cant take out, just in case if I get in an accident it, or sell it.

Is it the Volvo in your sig?2000 model?Ive never messed with a volvo before..Id sure find a way to run a good set of components though,if I could.id have to go look at a Volvo/check one out
Yeah, it's the Volvo. The wagon is awesome as I will be able to have niceee substage (plan to add another type-r 12" and 500w alpine).

I kind of over-exaggerated about all the sound going into the side of the dash. Most of it really goes into the cabin, but there is some overlap I think. I dont really remember at the moment. I'll get a pic up in 30 min or so.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.