Just got a ticket for "loud music"..

xmakeafistx
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Kenosha, WI
I'm going to the court date to see if I can get the fine thrown out, has anyone had experience with this?

I really had no idea that cops can get you for loud music if it was the daytime.

I don't want to have to pay a 151 ******* dollar fine.

depends on what your actual vehicle code says for your state....generally speaking...if law enforcement cant hear a stereo within 50ft from the vehicle, the ticket will stand.

To be on the safe side, whenever I'm approaching a red light, or going into a residential area, my system gets turned way down.

You can still go to court and try to convince the judge to void the ticket, or at least get the fine lowered.

GL

in wisconsin we have a "25 foot rule" where if you can hear it from 25 feet away its a violation, and apparently he heard me from down the block. I personally don't think I was playing that loud, I'm sure the throw wasn't that far at all.

But yeah the guy was just watching the intersection on his motorcycle, I doubt he had a DB meter.

depends on what your actual vehicle code says for your state....generally speaking...if law enforcement cant hear a stereo within 50ft from the vehicle, the ticket will stand.
To be on the safe side, whenever I'm approaching a red light, or going into a residential area, my system gets turned way down.

You can still go to court and try to convince the judge to void the ticket, or at least get the fine lowered.

GL

Yeah, I don't have anything else on my record they should understand. But yeah, hopefully it gets lowered at least. Normally I turn my music down in residential areas, but I was so close to a busy street I figured it didn't matter, I was heading right towards it.

"California Vehicle Code 27007: No driver of a vehicle shall operate, or permit the

operation of, any sound amplification system which can be heard

outside the vehicle from 50 or more feet when the vehicle is being

operated upon a highway, unless that system is being operated to

request assistance or warn of a hazardous situation"

Unfortunately having a dB meter doesn't apply in Cali. =(

Are you sure he said 25 feet? If so, then that's completely incorrect and the fine could be thrown out, according to this:

"LOUD MUSIC FROM VEHICLES: Wisconsin State Statute 346.94(16) prohibits operating, parking, stopping or leaving standing a motor vehicle while using a radio or other electric sound amplification device which is audible under normal conditions from a distance of 75 feet or more. 1st Violation is a fine of $87.50; 2nd Violation a fine of $162.00."

If you can go back to the place he stopped you or whatever, I'd measure the distance. If he was closer than 75 feet, you can probably fight with "He didn't even follow the statute! He was far closer than 75 feet, with this proof! *provide proof* Furthermore, because he was far closer than 75 feet, and because he doesn't know the law he's supposed to be enforcing, I refuse to pay a fine for not doing anything wrong."

"California Vehicle Code 27007: No driver of a vehicle shall operate, or permit theoperation of, any sound amplification system which can be heard

outside the vehicle from 50 or more feet when the vehicle is being

operated upon a highway, unless that system is being operated to

request assistance or warn of a hazardous situation"

Unfortunately having a dB meter doesn't apply in Cali. =(
you sir are wrong. I have gotten many of my friends out of their sound violation tickets here with that db meter excuse....haha my dads a cop. I should know ;D

Almost positive, I think 50 feet, but either way that thing says 75 feet or more, he also said "the distance of 7 cars lined up"

but either way that fine isn't nearly as bad as the one I got. Thats kind of ******** because this is my first violation.

It says I violated ordinance 23.4 (b)(i)©

???

Sorry to tell you but he's right. Its 50'. There is no decibel limit law, they base it off of distance.
you can testify and say that the windows were down and say that with the windows down they could hear anything from 50' away. You can also say "how can they judge 50' so well?" if they aren't 50' then it gets thrown out. trust me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

xmakeafistx

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
xmakeafistx
Kenosha, WI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date