Help with charging a capacitor

ttaylor0024
10+ year member

Kansas
I bought a 10F Capacitor from a member here a week ago, and am having trouble charging it. I took out the fuse, got a 12v light (old tail light from a truck) to use as a resistor to charge it, and the capacitor gets to about 9V before it stops charging, and falls back to 8.5V. Would this be because the light has too much resistance(I dont know how much the light has)? What do I need to do to fix the problem?

And I dont want any of the "capacitors are pointless", "why did you get one", "you should of just got another battery or upgraded your alternator" talk. I dont want to spend a lot of money and got this cap for cheap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I would like to know as a reference also. My current set up has 6 100Ah batteries in the back.(but) about 2 or 3 years ago I was building a less expensive,and lower powered set up in a 200.00 car I picked up a 5F cap. It is still new and never charged.

Would like to at least know how to charge it in case somebody wants to know.

car_audio_capacitor_charging.gif

Thanks for the replies... Well to those of you that helped. Its sad to see people bash stuff like this. I got the capacitor working, and it does exactly what I want it to do. Hate all you want, it works for me...

I simply forgot to unplug the amp... :/

Thanks for the replies... Well to those of you that helped. Its sad to see people bash stuff like this.
Most of them dont really mean any harm, and probably feel they are/were helping you. But I think you made it clear you already know the general feeling about caps around here, so they didnt need to add those comments.

Glad you got it working.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.