* Video* - What is causing this sound? Is this normal?

darkist240sx
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Im wondering if this is normal for hdc 15's? becasue Ive never had or heard a sub that did this.

th_2011-02-13_21-34-12_51.jpg'%20alt='th_2011-02-13_21-34-12_51.jpg'>

i don't need a vid of it playing/rubbing. that is definately the voice-coil tapping the pole-piece. look at the side that you didn't video, and push the cone up while watching the spider. i'm 90% sure that it's separated from the cone on that side and working its' way around. if you can't see it, i believer there is a 2nd spider underneath the spacer..... don't try and glue it back in place without removing the dustcap and aligning the coil, or it can set out of alignment...

Agreed, coil former is either deformed and rubbing or a spider has separated from the former. Sadly if it's the bottom spider separated I don't think you can fix it.

I hear a lot of reports about AQ subs failing like that. That's what you get when this is your average factory worker:

a-chinese-child-sits-amongst-a.jpg

On the bright side I think AQ sells recone kits pretty reasonable, get some good glue and DIY.

Agreed, coil former is either deformed and rubbing or a spider has separated from the former. Sadly if it's the bottom spider separated I don't think you can fix it.
I hear a lot of reports about AQ subs failing like that. That's what you get when this is your average factory worker:

a-chinese-child-sits-amongst-a.jpg

On the bright side I think AQ sells recone kits pretty reasonable, get some good glue and DIY.
Lol at the pic.. N yeah I already spoke to them and the recone is 65, and 25 for a 2oz. CA glue that will be enough to do 2-3 recones. Just ***** that I just bought the sub like this... Got it for 150 tho so its still cheaper than new... but not by much. Certainly not enough to make me go through this hassle.

I would just spend 6 bucks on some e6000 adhesive dont waste your money on the ca it will dry up before you ever use it all

or, go to a hobby store and buy some thick ca for like 4 bucks.... if the bottom one is separated, then there is a chance you will still be able to salvage it. remove the dustcap, and start separating the spider spacer from the basket. if you get it without damaging the spyders, then you can glue them back to the cone, and then allign the coil and glue the spiders back to the basket, once the cone dries. then, put the dustcap back on and you are done. you can also get new spiders for like $5 each. the hardest thing to save is the surround, but you can do it if you are careful scraping it off the basket. worth a shot before having to wait on a re-cone to show up

or, go to a hobby store and buy some thick ca for like 4 bucks.... if the bottom one is separated, then there is a chance you will still be able to salvage it. remove the dustcap, and start separating the spider spacer from the basket. if you get it without damaging the spyders, then you can glue them back to the cone, and then allign the coil and glue the spiders back to the basket, once the cone dries. then, put the dustcap back on and you are done. you can also get new spiders for like $5 each. the hardest thing to save is the surround, but you can do it if you are careful scraping it off the basket. worth a shot before having to wait on a re-cone to show up
^^ true this. Doesn't hurt try to salveage what you have. I have saved surrounds before, a very sharp chisel and patience....

You may be able to get smaller size CA glue from hobylinc.com for less. Also I have found some in Ace hardware stores called "hammer tite" or somesuch, thick CA glue with spray activator, about 8$ and more than enough to do up a 15"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.