0-600 and SB 1 or 2 CRX build

soundstreamer
10+ year member

Ω
Hi everybody!

I started putting the stereo in this car about 5 weeks ago. I photographed some of what I did to get it to the point it is today. This car has it's first show today (March 20th).

I brought her home in December.

12-19-09_2039.jpg

Picked up an engine upgrade. It's a complete DOHC B18, two transmissions, half shafts and everything to mount it in a rex for $200. I'm going to run the D16 SOHC that has already been swapped into this car until I get more time an better weather since I don't have a garage...

01-02-10_1338.jpg

Equip for the rex... I'm going to start with the RD D5 powering 2 Kicker 10" L7s for starters, but will have 4x 10L7s by my second show in April.

01-15-10_1844.jpg

Starting the tear down:

02-13-10_1047.jpg

It's a little harder to get a Group 31 battery under the hood than I expected. There's a great thread on Termpro that shows tons of pics of them. All I got to say is that anyone who lays a battery flat did a little cutting...

This is what it looked like when I popped the hood yesterday.

IMG_1681.jpg

I strung wires through an existing hole in the firewall that I still need to work on getting sealed up tight. I then started scrapping stock wiring and the stock headlight. I then used a hammer to make a little more room for the G31.

IMG_1683.jpg

A little sweet talking and some flexible wire got the battery in with the aftermarket headlight (which sticks back further that the stock making this project much more of a pain). The air filter fit just right with a little smashing action going on.

IMG_1685.jpg

Using a cutoff wheel to open up the seat mount brace lets the wires lay nicely through it. I'm only doing 2 positive and 2 negative for now since its what I had laying around and I'm on a really tight budget right now. The positive is Kicker Hyperflex and the negative is KnuKonceptz Kollosus Flex. Both are great wire.

IMG_1687.jpg

I put down a little Second Skin Dampener Pro that I had laying around, but I don't know if I really want to share pics of that. I haven't done anything against the rules in case you were wondering. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I've only put deadener where I know it will help for now and I have some SPL Sludge I still need to lay down. I'll test, apply, test, apply (or remove), ect as I get the stereo making noise.

Long work hours has me waaay behind schedule on getting this thing done.

I ran to Walmart this morning and dropped $160 on a Pioneer deck that would play off a USB port and iPod and has the pause feature.

IMG_1691.jpg

I never even gave this deck a fair shake. It's a JVC CD player with no pause or USB. Out with the bad...

IMG_1692.jpg

In with the good...

IMG_1693.jpg

I ran my RCAs and sensing wire the same route my 1/0 is run. There is a PAC LC-1 in line on the RCAs. I then laid the carpet back down and installed the seats.

I installed my Batcap 800 and RD D5 in the back and then made this wonderful sealed box...

IMG_1694.jpg

It's a vented subwoofer enclosure that someone left in my back yard. I slapped a board over the port and inverted an RD Alpha Max 12 (for easy wiring purposes). With everything in, I keyed up a 100hz - 20hz sweep and pulled out the TermLab... and then couldn't get the termlab working .

I got my TL working. It's a USB Termlab. My comps USB ports don't put out enough power to run a TL. I bought a powered USB hub and it started working instantly. It just ***** that I have to have 2 things plugged in like I would have with a AC powered unit... oh well.

All tests were run with flat HU settings, maxed out gains on the amp, and volume 35 oh the HU (~ half volume)

My car has two strong peaks. I tested multiple times with sweeps and then went straight to the tones in the area to pinpoint my peaks.

65hz - 131.8 db

47hz - 133.1 db

I'm going to flip the box and see if anything changes, the I'm building for 65. Something tells me with efficiency, power, and port helping, its going to to be the note for me. I'll use 47 for my streetbeating until I can find a decent 65 hz song..

I don't care much for the stock storage space behind the seats. It is flimsy, would never support the boxes I plan to be moving in and out, and doesn't fit right with the 4 runs of 1/0 on one side. With the storage space removed, there is a chance I'll damage the wiring of the fuel pump or the amplifier while moving enclosures.

Here's a pic of the stock storage unit. Right behind it is a couple of the "T"s I made for the base.

IMG_1696.jpg

I placed them side by side and measured everything twice

IMG_1697.jpg

There are braces supporting the front 45 degree board that don't show in this pic. I think it turned out pretty good for my first try... not to mention I was racing the storm clouds.

IMG_1698.jpg

With a little trimming and squeezing:

IMG_1700.jpg

Not a perfect fit, but a little duct tape and sound deadening, it'll do the job I need it to. I'll do a little more trimming before final install even though it passes the string test now...barely.

IMG_1699.jpg

I made some square holes. I've never owned speakers I didn't make the baffle with a Jasper jig...

IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

This if basically my jig now and I'll make every other baffle with a flush trim on my router. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I don't like measuring...

I made two boxes for testing. Both were made for 2x L7s. One is 1.4 cubes after sub displacement tuned to 61hz, the other is 2.2 cubes tuned to 43hz.

The simple insides of the boxes... not much room for bracing:

IMG_1706.jpg

This is what the flares look like from the inside. I had to do this so I can test the flares on multiple boxes without tearing them apart to get my flares back.:

IMG_1707.jpg

Subs mounted and wired:

IMG_1708.jpg

Flares mounted:

IMG_1709.jpg

Behind the b-pillar:

IMG_1712.jpg

Ports duct taped on:

IMG_1711.jpg

My first and best score (@ 65hz):

IMG_1714.jpg

My new biggest problem... stock alternator blues:

IMG_1715.jpg

I was in charge of watching the kids this day so my work was pretty well spaced out and I didn't get near as much done as I should have.

I dropped in my box for 2x L7s tuned to 43hz and got a best of 147.2 @ 47hz. I played a 65hz tone and did a 143.

I put my original test box from the last post and started moving things. I had a charger on the batts during all the testing so voltage wouldn't be a huge issue today. I made a couple of big changes and started with:

03-14-10_1905.jpg

A few more tweaks and turns and I made it to 152 @ 65hz:

03-14-10_1931.jpg

It was dark at that point. I think I can get a bit more out of this box and have a bunch of stuff to test on the car. I will probably take it to the show on Saturday with this setup.

Helped my friend get his truck home.:

03-17-10_1717.jpg

This bad boy set a world record for USACi stock 1801-3000 last year of 162.8. hopefully it does just as good this year in 601-1800... but does it laid out.

03-17-10_1810.jpg

I did manage to move my ports to the inside of the box and got another 10th...

IMG_1721.jpg

I'm hearing now that some loud people aren't going to be showing up at the show today. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I was going to get all four 10L7s into my box and see if I could do better, but I'm just going to do SB1 this round.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.