How big of an alternator do I need?

angrytrucker78
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So I'm gonna be running one Sundown 100.2 and one possibly two 1500D's.

I have an Optima Red under the hood, big 3, and 1/0 to a Kinetik near the amps. I don't wanna buy something too big that I won't be able to see the full potential, but I also don't want something to small. It's goning in a 4.3 01 Blazer if that matters.

Thanks for the help.

Sean

Check out http://www.4alterstart.com

I bought a 180A Alt for about $350. It was the best audio performance I did. I went through 2 DieHard batteries, 2 Optima (1 Red Top and 1 Yellow Top) hoping that the yellow top would help, but it lasted for just over 2 years. In fact, the batteries I bought lasted only 2 years, with the OEM alt. I spent approx. $450 on just batteries alone. You could have the best of everything, but if your power supply is not enough, be ready to spend some cash (in my case) every two years.

My audio dipped to about 10.4 volts at times with the OEM 105A alt, but now, with this 180A alt. it did not dip below 12.3 volts at idle. It was a direct bolt on, no mods needed. I wish I had bought this alt earlier, before I spent the cash on the batteries. I knew that I needed to buy one, but I did what so many people did, try to fix the problem the easest way possible. IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!! As you can tell I spent approx $800, $400 went to Battery Heaven. I say to get a H.O. alternator along with the "BIG 3" first. Even with the modest aftermarket audio system an upgrade is a must, or else Battery Heven. The OEM alt. is ONLY made for your vehical's OEM products. The reserve output of the OEM alt. is not made for today's audio system.

I hope this helps you out.

Check out http://www.4alterstart.com
I bought a 180A Alt for about $350. It was the best audio performance I did. I went through 2 DieHard batteries, 2 Optima (1 Red Top and 1 Yellow Top) hoping that the yellow top would help, but it lasted for just over 2 years. In fact, the batteries I bought lasted only 2 years, with the OEM alt. I spent approx. $450 on just batteries alone. You could have the best of everything, but if your power supply is not enough, be ready to spend some cash (in my case) every two years.

My audio dipped to about 10.4 volts at times with the OEM 105A alt, but now, with this 180A alt. it did not dip below 12.3 volts at idle. It was a direct bolt on, no mods needed. I wish I had bought this alt earlier, before I spent the cash on the batteries. I knew that I needed to buy one, but I did what so many people did, try to fix the problem the easest way possible. IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!! As you can tell I spent approx $800, $400 went to Battery Heaven. I say to get a H.O. alternator along with the "BIG 3" first. Even with the modest aftermarket audio system an upgrade is a must, or else Battery Heven. The OEM alt. is ONLY made for your vehical's OEM products. The reserve output of the OEM alt. is not made for today's audio system.

I hope this helps you out.

Ur joking right?

So I'm gonna be running one Sundown 100.2 and one possibly two 1500D's. I have an Optima Red under the hood, big 3, and 1/0 to a Kinetik near the amps. I don't wanna buy something too big that I won't be able to see the full potential, but I also don't want something to small. It's goning in a 4.3 01 Blazer if that matters.

Thanks for the help.

Sean

100.2 is going to be ~14a max draw

each 1500d will be ~140a max so you aer looking at ~70a for both on a daily setup.

You will need atleast 84a extra current bare minimum.

You car is going to need about 60% of your current alternators amperage to run so whatever that is take the A and multiply it by .60 to see what the car needs. Then find one with an amount that will not overload it. Finally...an extra set of batterys will help out with the amperage demands. I dont see you keeping a good 14v charge however.

I am a little drunk so someone please check my math.

Alterstart deals with the "Load Boss" alternators. Is this brand junk? If not, explain why is the Company Alterstart crap. Did you have a bad experence with them or just heard it from someone's post? I want to know so I can tell my friends about it. I had put it in my car about 3 weeks ago (11/8/06) and it is Awsome (in my opinion).

Alterstart deals with the "Load Boss" alternators. Is this brand junk? If not, explain why is the Company Alterstart crap. Did you have a bad experence with them or just heard it from someone's post? I want to know so I can tell my friends about it. I had put it in my car about 3 weeks ago (11/8/06) and it is Awsome (in my opinion).
the system in your sig shouldnt even need a high output alt......

My system's output is about 1000 wrms. With the OEM 105A alt, I had light dimmage, and I have an Epicenter 160 which has an built-in SPL/Voltage meter.

The lowest voltage I've seen it go down to is 10.3 volts, but it goes down once in a while. I was sending me battery to an early grave. So, as you see, I needed an H.O. alternator.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.