wtf why so loud?

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 2K
U

Unregistered

Wont listening to bass at 140 db make you go deaf, like right away? Ear damage occurs at 100-120 db over moderate exposure, but 140 db should have an instant damaging affect on your hearing.

Eventually, the cilia in your ears will either be consumed with too much wax and it will be harder for you to hear, or they will stop working altogether.

My advice, is if its not loud enough, get your ears syringed and try it again... chances are, you won't be able to handle all the frequencies you will be hearing and it could be painful.... however, healthier for your ears if you take care of them.

Ear wax is nature's defense against going deaf, but its inevitable if you don't protect your ears. As a musician, I take very good care of my ears.

Two pennies for ya

last dude wrote this:

Ear wax is nature's defense against going deaf

heh, i did some research, i come up with:

Ear wax, sticky stuff that it is, is very good at trapping anything foreign that flies, crawls, or is blown into the ear canals. Dirt, tiny bits of plant material, small insects, bacteria and so forth are immobilized by wax. Think of wax as the sticky stuff on a No Pest Strip. The primary purpose of ear wax is to protect your ear canal (as well as your ear drum) from such foreign materials. Ear canal skin moves (very slowly) out of the ear canal, carrying with it any wax and debris that are adherent to the skin. Most of the time, the ear canals are fully capable of self-cleaning in this manner.

so unless the earwax can catch sound waves, i dun think so dude!!!

Why so LOUD? Well its like this, were im from the fastest speed limit is 70 mph. Why have a car that tops out at 160? Just so its there if you need it I guess //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

? Ear damage occurs at 100-120 db over moderate exposure, but 140 db should have an instant damaging affect on your hearing.
I believe ear damage starts to occur over long periods of time listening to 120 and above. I'm sure it varies from person to person, but that is probably the norm.

As for why have a system that hits in the 140's. Most people I know, don't ride around and boom their system at it's full potential. It's there post before said to just in case you need it, which gets me to my other point. More and more people are competing, in this case depending on the competition you can need anywhere from mid 130's and higher. Most competitions do require hearing protection. I mean it pretty much defeats the purpose of trying to achieve the best overall sound quality or highest SPL if you can't hear it for yourself. Anyhow thats just my opinion

This came from the site:

http://www.abelard.org/hear/hear.htm

HOW LOUD IS LOUD?

Common Noise Levels and Typical Reactions

Activity

Noise Level [dB(A)]

Apparent Loudness

Typical Physical Response

Rocket launching 180 Danger level

Threshold of pain

Gunshot

Jet engine taking off

140 Danger level

Military jet

Air raid siren

Shotgun

Hydraulic press (3 m away)

512 times as loud

Limited ability to hear amplified speech.

Noise may cause pain.

Can damage hearing after 3.75 minutes exposure per day

Car horn

Propeller aircraft

Air-raid siren 120 256 times as loud Can damage hearing after 7.5 minutes exposure per day

Sand-blasting

Squealing pigs

Inboard motorboat

Typical night club

Unsilenced motorcycle (7m away)

Over 128 times as loud!!

Maximum vocal effort.

Can damage hearing after 30 minutes exposure per day

Amplified Rock Music 110-130 Over 128 to 512 times as loud!! Can damage hearing after

3.75 – 30 minutes

exposure per day

Helicopter

Motorised/power mower 105 Can damage hearing after 1 hour

exposure per day

Jet takeoff @ 500m

Train horn @ 30m

Diesel truck

Pneumatic drill/jackhammer

64 times as loud

Can damage hearing after 2 hours exposure per day

Heavy truck @ 15m

Busy city street

passing motorcycle

Lawn mower

Loud shout

Sreaming child

32 times as loud

Very annoying.

Can damage hearing after

8 hours exposure per day

Average factory

Electric shaver 85

Busy traffic intersection

Motorway construction site

Outboard motor

Alarm clock (with bell)

Freight train (15m away)

16 times as loud

Annoying .

Motorway traffic @ 15m

Roadside traffic

Train horn @ 500m

Vacuum cleaner

Mixer

electric sewing machine

Noisy restaurant

Conversation in a loud voice

8 times as loud

Telephone use difficult.

Washing machine/dishwasher 65

Light car traffic @ 15m

City or commercial areas

Noisy office

Normal conversation

Clothes dryer

Background music

4 times as loud

Intrusive.

Quiet office

2 times as loud

Speech interference.

Refrigerator 45

Quiet residential area

Kitchen/bathroom

Public library

Arbitrary Base

Reference Level

Quiet .

Leaves rustling

Very soft music

Recording studio

Living/dining/bedroom

1/2 as loud

Very quiet.

Threshold of sound perception

1/8 as loud

Just audible.

Threshold of hearing

N/A

Not audible.

From Adam Chandler

My site:

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/adam2000

My email:

adamawayfrommpa2000

whoa! where did u find that site? when it says can damage hearing after x amount of time, is that in the long run? or just temporary? how does that work, cuz i drive about an hour a day to get to and from skool with my music pounding when im on the freeway, and i dont wanna go deaf and all. im sure im hitting at LEAST 110 db.

Well the only other thing I really have to add is: I've noticed when I had my system up to loud, I got out of the turned the system off, got out of the car to pump some gas, and I said to myself d**m that was too loud. Everything outside didn't sound as loud as it normally does, and my friend said those 12's really quake. So, basically that was when I decided to drop down to 1-12", and now I don't even have that anymore, I'm just running mid's and hi's. I figured at the rate I'm going (where I work plus the stereo) I would loose my hearing by the time I was 40. I have to ask people to repeat themselves as it is. Just my input> later

Originally posted by Unregistered Eventually, the cilia in your ears will either be consumed with too much wax and it will be harder for you to hear, or they will stop working altogether.

My advice, is if its not loud enough, get your ears syringed and try it again... chances are, you won't be able to handle all the frequencies you will be hearing and it could be painful.... however, healthier for your ears if you take care of them.

Ear wax is nature's defense against going deaf, but its inevitable if you don't protect your ears. As a musician, I take very good care of my ears.

Two pennies for ya
Acutally, I got most of this information from people (other musicians actually) in another forum. The topic was about getting your ears syringed... those of you who have problems hearing should maybe try this... it will definitely keep you from turning your stereo too loud... it would just be painful.

this post scared the **** out me, i dont want to go deaf, that would totally ****. anyhow, since i do listen to my music loud in my car while driving to school (35 minutes both ways), have my hearing been damaged already? i read this post earlier at school today and drove home with my music low. can someone please fill me in.. thanks

lol yeah.. kinda freaking me out too... but i think this rule applies to everything else in life... do things in moderation and ur green... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

LuRp

I've been scared for a long time, I've always known the possibility of "loud music". But what can I say I'm addicted to it. Sometimes I go through periods of time where I'm really conscious of turning it up loud due to possible hearing loss. But sometimes your in a shitty mood and turning the music up cures all your problems. (well maybe just until you get outta your car).

I like to crank it up most of the time to but you have to pay attention to how much you ears ring afterward....If they ring for a long time and hearing is more difficult then I wouldn't say turn it down I would just not lister at the volume so long...High volumes for short times won't hurt but long period of listening to music the way we do will probably hurt more than we know......I hope not.....

Adam Chandler

My site:

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/adam2000

My email:

adamawayfrommpa2000@yahoo.com

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.