Would you run CAB 1600.1?

OK I'll try that. I'll also try to find where factory grounded the engine as well. I wish there was more info on this. The only concern I have is I hope I don't get engine ground noise if that's what you call it.
I think you mean alt whine? That's usually from a bad amp ground or bad RCA's.

OK I'll try that. I'll also try to find where factory grounded the engine as well. I wish there was more info on this. The only concern I have is I hope I don't get engine ground noise if that's what you call it.
There probably isn't a dedicated block to chassis ground because the alternator case is grounded to the chassis and it is bolted to the block.

There probably isn't a dedicated block to chassis ground because the alternator case is grounded to the chassis and it is bolted to the block.
That would make sense. I just didn't want yo add one without knowing if I would be mEssington something up. I will see if I can find a spot on the frame lol. That's going to be super hard...what about radiator mounts or spring towers to engine block?

That would make sense. I just didn't want yo add one without knowing if I would be mEssington something up. I will see if I can find a spot on the frame lol. That's going to be super hard...what about radiator mounts or spring towers to engine block?
I grounded to strut tower bolt.

Alternator case to battery is fine. The alternator is charging your battery. There isn't a better place to connect a ground. Your engine block isn't what's charging your battery. The alt case is the ground for your alternator. The only reason you need your block grounded is for spark in the engine. Grounding to the alternator case (which is bolted directly to the block) is plenty of ground for the engine to function.

Are you not getting this?

Without looking it up, I would guess that your car is unibody. If you really want to be thorough, run an extra dedicated ground wire to the back of your vehicle from the battery.

Alternator case to battery is fine. The alternator is charging your battery. There isn't a better place to connect a ground. Your engine block isn't what's charging your battery. The alt case is the ground for your alternator. The only reason you need your block grounded is for spark in the engine. Grounding to the alternator case (which is bolted directly to the block) is plenty of ground for the engine to function.
Are you not getting this?

Without looking it up, I would guess that your car is unibody. If you really want to be thorough, run an extra dedicated ground wire to the back of your vehicle from the battery.
No I get it now I just didn't want to miss anything. As of now I have 0 ga from alt to +, - to body (used factory ground location) and now I need to run from either alt or block to body or frame. I might consider the run to the back as well.

No I get it now I just didn't want to miss anything. As of now I have 0 ga from alt to +, - to body (used factory ground location) and now I need to run from either alt or block to body or frame. I might consider the run to the back as well.
You should run wire from the alternator to the body. That's the factory ground location and the alternator case is what is part of the charging system. From the factory, grounding the alt case is plenty for the engine to make spark. It is the BEST part to ground to the battery, because the alternator is charging the battery. Grounding the engine block to the battery will NOT be more ideal for charging. It just won't.

If you really don't "want to miss anything", then you need to run a dedicated ground. I always run dedicated ground wires.

You can take my advice or not.

You should run wire from the alternator to the body. That's the factory ground location and the alternator case is what is part of the charging system. From the factory, grounding the alt case is plenty for the engine to make spark. It is the BEST part to ground to the battery, because the alternator is charging the battery. Grounding the engine block to the battery will NOT be more ideal for charging. It just won't.
If you really don't "want to miss anything", then you need to run a dedicated ground. I always run dedicated ground wires.

You can take my advice or not.
This is how mine is done minus the dedicated amp ground to battery. I will do that in the future though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.