Would adding steel weights to a box to deter theives effects a subwoofers performance

MAkahveli
10+ year member

I have an idea to deter theives if they get to the my subwoofers, the box atleast! Already have 2 eclipse DVC 15's, and a huge heavy box for them. I was wondering about adding weight plates on each side of the box (both chambers sealed). Maybe 2 35# weights, maybe 45#'s if I can fit them. This a good idea or no? I know the subwoofers have huge magnets and how much are they affected?

Why dont you just bolt it to the car and use hex screws to secure the subs to the box. You could also put a grill on them and use hex screws to hold them on.

I cant answer your question, but could I ask what you drive? Aren't you concerned about the gas mileage/performance from the extra extra weight? (yes yes, car audio equipment is heavy, but still)

edit: typo

no, not concerned about the weight, I don't think it'll be a big difference as it'll already be a gas guzzler, it's an explorer sport, 5-speed with a supercharged engine that has a racing cam with 4 inch lift 32" tires on 22' rims and 4.56 gear ratios 4x4.....and bolting it down? I didn't think about that, and won't that ruin the box over time?

You could also hire Pioneer to stand naked in the hatch //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Haha I see.. I guess with all that weight it wont make a big difference if you add a bit more but **** the gas mileage must be killer..
No doubt. Govt. just approved 5% more ethanol in gas. So mileage down and prices are projected at $4-5 a gallon this year. He is definitely screwed.

To my defense, I have 3 vehicles and yet no family under me, this will be one of my joy rides and not daily drivers. I'm worried about it because it will be parked at long periods of time here and there! The daily driver is a honda accord coupe and the mercedes I'm doing a conversion were a 5.0L engine from a mustang will be going in it!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.