help with sub issue

Participant count
  • Participant list

shirkay

NJ
Ok, so basically I am running 2 12'' Sony Xplod subs on a 760w Sony Xplod amp. They are both about 7 or 8 years old.

For the first few months of using them they worked great. Then I blew the glass fuse that's in the wire. After that, still worked fine.

Now when I start my car one of 3 things will happen.

1. Subs will work fine (about 10% of the time)

2. Subs will work but will sound hollow and will hit very short and quickly (about 50% of the time)

3. Subs will work for about a minute or 2 and will stop working completely (the other 40% of the time)

My question is obviously what is wrong. I replaced the ground wire and fuses and that did not help.

Please help, I'm tired of my system sounding like crap....

have you checked you rcas to make sure they are not grounding out, also check all the connections for you subs.

but in all honesty, if its something wrong with the amp or subs, your best bet would be to scrap what you got and upgrade.

yeah, I'm thinking about upgrading, but I'd rather hold off on that. I'll rip the floor boards up again and check the wires again

also, how are the subs wired to the amp and what size power wire are you running.

also have you checked if your getting any voltage drop, which unless you have a very poor ground i highly doubt, but it would be a good thing to check.

No clue what size the wire is, but the amp is on top of the box and then just the positive and negative connected from amp to sub.

yeah, they were all wired when I got them from a friend. He had them for a few years and didn't want them anymore. So I really don't know sorry. I will try to find out more tomorrow when its light out again.

Your gain may also be set too high. Could be throwing the amp into protect mode due to it overheating. As for the blown fuse again, could have been the gain being too high depends on how many amps the fuse was. Or the power wire could have been nicked where it enters the body. You need a rubber grommet there to protect the wire insulation from the metal if there is not one already. The power and ground wire should be about the size of your little finger if you don't know what gauges are. I really don't know when sony took a dive, but my nephew was running some older xplod gear last year and it honestly didn't sound as bad as I thought it was going to once it was dialed in. But I did build him a good box for the subs.

The voltage was already covered, but can mean eventually blown amp as can the gain setting mentioned above, along with blown subs. So make sure you take care of it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.