Wired my amp a few days ago ...now CAR WONT START

Participant count
  • Participant list
just recently installed a 300w amp in my car. The car and music system worked great for 3 days until yesterday. The car wont start and my battery seems dead. this is a month old car battery.

my ignition switch is broken and wont release the key. the key gets jammed in the acc position. could my key be the problem?

Did you wire your amp remote to a continous 12v? So its been on for 3 days and you didnt realize?

As for the igniition thing what car is it? My 1990 c1500, AND 98 civic both had the same problem and it was the ignition lock cylinder had to replace it on both cars. $20 dollar part at autozone

nice its just a $20 part? im gonna have to look into that

I drive a 2002 mazda 626

remote wire is wired correctly the amp light is off when the deck is off. The car has been working fine for 3 days. this morning she wouldnt start.

nice its just a $20 part? im gonna have to look into that
I drive a 2002 mazda 626

remote wire is wired correctly the amp light is off when the deck is off. The car has been working fine for 3 days. this morning she wouldnt start.
lol i just looked it up and your isn't $20 its a lottle bit more... but could it be that your shift lever if automatic is stuck and it won't release the key? sometimes cars have a mechanism under the lever or shifter whatever you call it and the little mechanism to release the key when the car is in park gets stuck and the ignition stitch thinks the car is still in gear

It's stuck in accessory position and you're surprised the battery is drained?
^thisss???

It could definitely be the shift lever. Theres a little more movement than what seems to be necessary when I shift from P,R,D, etc

I see now how the key could drain my battery ...

does this mean my battery could be dead already? or does this mean it just needs a simple jump or charge?

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

im pretty new to all of this ..ijs

Lol u guys will probably laugh at me.. But rookie mistake... When I reconnect the battery the nut on the positive terminal was stripped and the terminal was not on tight enough.. Bought a new nut and screw and fixed the issue... Now on to get my key out of my ignition

You know it's like 5 screws and a clip and my 3 year old could do it. Save your money do it yourself.. if you can change your battery u can change your ignition.. parts cheap too and comes with a new key. $25 dollars n 30 mins all it will take.gl

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.