Wire Gauge Question

anger
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Feel like this is a noobish question and has probably been answered, but I had to rebuild my box and need some answers.

I've got a 1000w Mono Fosgate Amp pushing 4 12" Punch HE's. When I opened it up they subs were "daisy chained" together w/12 gauge wire. I need to know if 16 gauge is sufficient or if there would be a more efficient way to wire them together.

Any Help Is Appreciated or Direction to Someone Who Can help

I understand it's not the best choice, but..i guess what i'm wondering is what's the downside to the smaller gauge?

and is that the proper way to wire the 4 subs together?

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

i've got a bunch a 16g (and not much $) is why im curious

considering you said 1000 watts and 4 subs is roughly 250 watts per sub with likely a less than 4 ft run to your subs. i'd say you're okay right now but at some point you should really look into running good 12 gauge or 10 gauge.

I have used 16 gauge to run 6k before. Will it "work" yes....is it the best option nope not even close.

However the drop I had was amazingly minimal considering.

Guess I'll be picking up some decent 12 gauge. Don't wanna be unsatisfied and have to open it up again.

Subs are 8 ohms and were wired like... + & - running from box terminals to sub 1, then same from sub 1 to sub 2 and so on.. is this all good? or should it be diferent?

Wire them in parallel and it should end up at a 1 ohm load. All the plus's summed together and all the negatives summed together to the box terminal.

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

If you really do have a lot of 16 gauge wire than just run, two runs of it to each speaker...

Wire them in parallel and it should end up at a 1 ohm load. All the plus's summed together and all the negatives summed together to the box terminal. 

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

If you really do have a lot of 16 gauge wire than just run, two runs of it to each speaker...
last i checked four 8 ohm subs in parallel resulted in a 2ish final, lol. Op, first look up the minimum rated impedence load your amp is capable of handling. Then,wire them in parallel. Then, use a dmm to find the final ohm load to be safe. Make sure its at or above the lowest load your amp is stable at.

last i checked four 8 ohm subs in parallel resulted in a 2ish final, lol. Op, first look up the minimum rated impedence load your amp is capable of handling. Then,wire them in parallel. Then, use a dmm to find the final ohm load to be safe. Make sure its at or above the lowest load your amp is stable at.
Exactly what I was trying to get at !

soldering wires and need more length than was already used

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

Thanks for the input. Amp is stable at 2 ohms. 'Bout ta start

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.