Wire gauge discussion

txjeep

CarAudio.com Newbie
Texas
When It comes to speaker wire I have been under the assumption that bigger is better. I am confused by the gauge of most car audio systems and therefore I am not sure what to do.

The connector for speakers into the back of head units and into marine amps has very thin wires. It looks like 16 gauge or maybe even 18. Can I get some input on speaker wire gauge?

I had a crazy idea of using trailer wire and the quick connectors under the dash of my Jeep that helps make the dash serviceable.

Help please….

The output of a head unit is very low, so it doesn't require large speaker wire. When you are using an amp to power your speakers, you would use something a little bigger and with your sub, even bigger, depending on power.

Last edited:
The output of a head unit is very low, so it doesn't require large speaker wire. When you are using an amp to power your speakers, you would use something a little bigger and with your sub, even bigger, depending on power.
That makes sense.

Does distance matter? I have a marine amp with thin wire coming out of the connector. The distance from amp to speaker is like 18 inches of wire.

Should I keep the same gauge between the dongle and the speaker or does it matter?

I apologize if my questions are ignorant.

That makes sense.

Does distance matter? I have a marine amp with thin wire coming out of the connector. The distance from amp to speaker is like 18 inches of wire.

Should I keep the same gauge between the dongle and the speaker or does it matter?

I apologize if my questions are ignorant.
How much power does your amp put out?

I'd run 14-16g for the speakers...provided they not on like 30ft runs...then I'd go bigger

On the sub 10g or 12g is plenty big enough

Wrong again. Has nothing to do with the connection or connectors as you put it. It has to do with current or amperage. Most of the wiring from the factory is 16-18-20 gauge unless it’s higher amperage. Then they will up to 12-10-8-4 gauge. Most factory speaker wires in cars are 18-20 gauge.

I run Crutchfield 9 wire speed wire 20 gauge for my speaker wire from the amp to the factory wire. But I am only running 50 watts per speaker. I run 12 gauge on my sub.

Your length is relatively short, it won't matter. Factory wire is usually pretty thin, it always looks 20-22awg to me. That's usually a little thin to comfortably work with. If all you are doing is pulling the connector off at the door speaker, or at the head unit then you have little risk of damaging it. When you start trying to run wire from head unit to speakers, you have to feed it through areas and attach it, and you run the risk of damaging those few strands. For smaller amperage wiring, because it's oddly run in a vehicle, you have to factor in the physical limits of the wire.

18awg MIGHT work, but it's still right there at being slightly thin.
16awg would work for the smaller wattage, and about the minimal size you want to physically use.
I also say 12awg for the sub and 200w 6x9s.
No reason you can't go bigger. If you can find a 50ft roll of 12awg, do the bigger stuff first, that should be enough.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

txjeep

CarAudio.com Newbie
txjeep
Texas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views