Will it be enough to replace my stock battery with a D3400?

Emart

Hey guys! LONG time lurker (since 2005), first time poster.

My plan is to run this Fi Q 12 off this Q1-2200D amp.

I'm also using this MTX 942 to power these JL Audio ZR650csi components.

I'm all about doing things the right way, so I assumed I would have to run a HO alt, upgraded stock battery, and maybe even a 2nd remote battery. BUT, when I entered my power requirements on the XS power's website it only recommended I replace my OEM battery with their D3400.

What gives? Will simply swapping out my stock battery for the D3400 be enough to power my system?

a battery does NOT create amperage
Yeah, logically speaking I would imagine a larger battery would only provide a larger pool to draw from if the stock electrical system can't keep up. But since I'm only adding a 1500 rms sub it seems like overkill to go with a $400 HO alt like this 240 amp from mechman.

Am I right in assuming that is the most intelligent thing to do though?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I can gather, my needs are: 170w (components) + 1500w (sub) = 1670rms / 14.8V = ~113 amps on the low end, and 133 amps if the sub wants 1800 instead of 1500. But that would be the calculations for bumping test tunes at max volume, and doesn't seem like it would reflect real world music listening. I don't know what the real-world average load value would be for this setup.

If this setup would draw

Feels ridiculous doing the big 3, HO alt, big battery and/or isolated remote battery, and doors/trunk deadening all for 1500w. Might have to double up to 3,000w just on principle.

Still having a hell of a time figuring out my electrical requirements after doing the big 3 and a big battery.

-If I can run a SAZ-1500d from the stock alt, that means I can go with a Q12 or Q15 and save a ton of time and money.

-If I have to do a HO alt then I'll have the electrical foundation to go with two Q12s or an SP415, which will cost me quite a bit more cash and trunk space.

I would be much more inclined to get a HO alt as a precaution if it would cost less than $500. Best option I've seen so far is the 240 linked above from Mechman, which would cost ~$430 shipped, and I don't know if I feel comfortable swapping it out myself so I'm estimating a shop hour for the labor.

Is this the entry level of HO alts?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.