Wide enclosure vs Deep enclosure (slot ported)? 2 Separate or 1 shared?

USAFMileHigh
10+ year member

I have a 2006 Cobalt SS (sedan), BRZ 1700.1D wired @ 2ohms to a Sundown SA-12 D4 at the moment. Built a custom box for it wide 14.5 height, 17 deep, 22 wide and a 2inch port ~30in total port length (if I can remember all the measurements haha). Attached are the photos. Anyways, I am going to add another SA-12, wire them down to 1ohm and build a new box or 2.

QUESTION 1: Will building a box deeper than it is wide affect SQ or SPL? (i.e. 17 wide and 22 deep)

I was considering just building 2 symmetrical boxes in this fashion and sliding them into the car (because fitting a 4ft^3 box is kind of annoying because I would have to temporarily remove the backseat). Any downside to building 2 separate boxes if the measurements/internal volume/port size and length is the same? (in comparison to a shared or separate chamber box).

If the wording is confusing, feel free to ask for clarification. If you have any recommendations for bracing the box and such, please feel free to chime in. I will probably double baffle this one.

Thanks!

Facing forward sealed off is nearly 2x louder in this car. I currently run a brz2400 on two of these at 1ohm and i have grill flex, ebrake flex, can even make full soda cans dance. Pulling into work i make my coworkers tassel in her car dance from at least 20 feet away... Def. Would seal forward.

IMG082.jpg

Whatever you decide, id make sure you are able to get to your spare tire if needed too,is something i myself would take into consideration,rather than having to wait 3-6hrs on Emergency Road side assistance to get you hooked back up and on the road..Id prob do another enclosure, and call it a day:D

Yes, it does act similar to that of a 6th order. I can actually alter how well it hits different notes by rolling windows up and down into different positions. Also i have my spare tire just out and snug in the trunk just behind the box. As well as a cutout in the trunk floor to access my battery (shurikenbt35)

[quote name='USAFMileHigh']
QUESTION 1: Will building a box deeper than it is wide affect SQ or SPL? (i.e. 17 wide and 22 deep)
[/QUOTE]

I've always been curious about this part as well....
And I would imagine building to separate and symmetrical enclosures would be just the same as having one enclosure and separate chambers for the subs. I understand it would make things a lot easier for you installation-wise. Maybe someone like @surreal or @Buck or @pro\-rabbit or @Moble Enclosurs can weigh in on that.

One of the major changes that occur is that involving the baffle area if you are to keep a constant volume constraint. It definitely can effect the quality of the sound in that phase changes will occur that can affect the ports output in relation to the driver at certain frequencies. SO, yes it can make a difference. Just so you know, I am not going to be around until the 24th. I am leaving in about 2 hours to go out of town for a week, but if you reply or have any questions no one else answers for you, send me an email anytime. When I get back, Ill catch up on all that. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I have a question for any pro on here. Would something like this kind of act as a 6th order bandpass once its in the car?? Since the ported box is firing into the cabin, if u were to open the door wouldnt the cabin act like another ported enclosure?? Similar to a 6th order??
Yes, and no. The changes that occur in the vehicle include certain acoustical losses that are not calculated into an enclosures response. Also, the windows being manipulated will change the response information as well as any other opening or obstruction that you may not see in a solid, virtually obstruction free enclosure chamber. There also exists effect of tuning where in certain cases, where you should get a lower tuning, it increases and vice versa...under certain circumstances that I cant really go into at the moment and personally make take a while to explain lol. So the cabin actually has to be treated with different formulas than an enclosure design program to get the best accuracy out of it. And even though audible response and measurable response are two different curves, there can be cases where the changes from that measured with a box program can be quite accurate as well. But better safe than sorry.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.