Tank enclosure for 8s

SlugButter

CarAudio.com VIP
arizona
Doing an enclosure build this week for a guys suv for 4 SSA F8L 8s. He requested that it be 1.5 inches thick all the way around and It’s getting a double baffle with an extra 3/4 inch flush mount beauty panel, so technically a triple baffle. He also wanted MDF, but I wanted to use wood with real fibers for the kerf. I have a little bracing to add in still before I close up the top. Sending update pics to the customer and thought I’d post here and give my back a few minutes rest.
3B0F9458-526A-4A65-B8EA-4AA733051F10.jpeg
363EAC40-7E72-47F6-B378-F5C28EFB9A42.jpeg

Man.. I always like watching your enclosures build outs. They are always some fantastic builds. hopefully you get to hear it in action as it usually is the last part of satisfaction to see and hear the product. Deff going to be a bullet proof enclosure!!

What is the over all cu.ft. and tuning going to be for this encolosure?
He wanted the recommendation from SSA, which is .55 cubes per sub, 2.2 cubes after displacement total, tuned to 31 HZ. The port takes up 1/3 of the enclosure. Really impressive looking specs for an 8 inch sub. Strong motor, low FS, good specs for ported boxes. It’s only 15 mm of xmax, and lots of 8s have more xmax, but xmax is one of those specs that people look at and automatically think that more means a louder or lower playing sub. In a ported setup, xmax doesn’t mean as much as it does in a sealed setup. I’ve never heard these subs, but I’m excited to hear what they do in .55 cubes. They look pretty damn good in software modeling.

Last edited:
That's a really nice looking enclosure. I've never heard of anyone breaking a box with 8s!

I will say that 8 had a kicker L5 in the kicker prefab for a while and it started coming apart at the seams and was making horrible noise. I used some 2" screws and tire bond 2 to reinforce the box. I also used a scrap of MDF I had to lengthen the port by 2x and lower the tuning frequency. I sold it a few days after for what I paid for it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...