Why go Old school?

I understand they are built better. Though i have talked to some older generation car audio guys and they say old school amps tend to be current ****** and not nearly as efficient as todays amps. Idk, i just get worried looking at older amps...like ehhhh. its hard to trust anything old.
Well look at where we are at with technology and parts of course there gonna be more efficient but look at the amps from back in the day still going i have an old school rockford punch 45 from the 90's and its still going when newer amps are blowing every day after not even a year, yes some these days are built like a brick **** house but gotta think about what they were working with in the old days... Quality parts = quality equipment

The mill spec parts that companies like us amps were using back in the 90's just aren't found that often in todays equipment. I believe the arc se line has the closest thing to them but have yet to see common amps anywhere near them. You go old school for the high end parts makeup which are now low cost due to them being 20 years old. I have run many subs on my arc 2300 and think it is one of the best substage amps ever. My old us amps 400x will walk all over it though.

That will do 1800 - 2200 rms at 11" .... it's a 1 ohm stable amp .....
but 1600 @ 8" is still ballin ...
Yeah I owned one years ago. I've been looking at some new old school mmats on eBay right now. Might grab one up.

My 1990's MMAts Pro Cast 12" sub looks the same as my 2000's Sundown SA12. or very close. My 1990's amps all still work and I love the stuff. I collect what I can because they not going to available for much longer. The new stuff is all built on the old stuff, but a cheaper way of doing it. There is much truth in the saying they don't build them as they use to. And that is everything. You get a little bit more performance, but less longevity, less quality. . You end up with more trash then items to collect.

Since you love to be a know it all smartasss why dont you show proof against his claim?
Have you heard of US Amps?

Zed built amps before zed made his own audio company?

Planet Audio Big Bang Series?

A/D/S?

Pheonix Gold?

Precision power?

Not to forget Zapco of them all??!?

Can you compare all those amps to the amps of the same level in this time??

I can bet you not as even ZED is still one of the best SQ amps, pheonix gold is still popular, US Amps are high dollar old amps.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
I don't have to. I'm not claiming old school is more reliable. Im actually on the other end of the spectrum, saying there's not enough data to make a determination. Im also not the one claiming that today's amps won't be working in 15 years.

I own a few ppi, pg, and zapco amps. Planet audio and us amps were budget amps on their best days. The fact you now find them high end shows the absolutely laughable amount you actually know about what you speak. Us amps were current hogs, but good amps. Pg is currently a completely laughable product line up minus the elite line, which is hardly a value driven consumer line.

I'm really glad you worship at the altar of zed. I'll take my d7s all day over anything he's ever built, but that doesn't mean his products aren't ok.

If you want to compare them to amps of today, sure, as long as we compare like for like. Mosconi, tru, brax, etc. are completely comparable. If you want to spend less, There are options there as well.

My 1990's MMAts Pro Cast 12" sub looks the same as my 2000's Sundown SA12. or very close. My 1990's amps all still work and I love the stuff. I collect what I can because they not going to available for much longer. The new stuff is all built on the old stuff, but a cheaper way of doing it. There is much truth in the saying they don't build them as they use to. And that is everything. You get a little bit more performance, but less longevity, less quality. . You end up with more trash then items to collect.
The pro casts were amazing subs.

Old school was not more reliable. The stuff today, good stuff is just as good if not better.

The difference is the flow of information. We didn't have to internet to look for all the post on a blown amp.

We also had a lot of crap in the 1990s, not as much as today but it was there. One more difference is the internet sellers, most work was done by much more knowledgeable installers, not a random kids back yard

I don't have to. I'm not claiming old school is more reliable. Im actually on the other end of the spectrum, saying there's not enough data to make a determination. Im also not the one claiming that today's amps won't be working in 15 years.I own a few ppi, pg, and zapco amps. Planet audio and us amps were budget amps on their best days. The fact you now find them high end shows the absolutely laughable amount you actually know about what you speak. Us amps were current hogs, but good amps. Pg is currently a completely laughable product line up minus the elite line, which is hardly a value driven consumer line.

I'm really glad you worship at the altar of zed. I'll take my d7s all day over anything he's ever built, but that doesn't mean his products aren't ok.

If you want to compare them to amps of today, sure, as long as we compare like for like. Mosconi, tru, brax, etc. are completely comparable. If you want to spend less, There are options there as well.
Us Amps? Budget?? You lost all credibility right there or you had a massive common budget. I have used three of the current lines of PG and nothing about them is laughable. They compare well with almost everything in their respective ranges. It is not hard to find original pricing on things so please don't spew garbage and expect it to stick on everything your aiming at.

Us Amps? Budget?? You lost all credibility right there or you had a massive common budget. I have used three of the current lines of PG and nothing about them is laughable. They compare well with almost everything in their respective ranges. It is not hard to find original pricing on things so please don't spew garbage and expect it to stick on everything your aiming at.
The issue I have and the main reason I didn't go PG. its heritage, I had old ZX amps.

Once a brand goes to the dumps and gets bought out they lose my trust. The stuff could be great now but I don't care. What I care about is all the garbage they made before AAMP bought them. It's a lot like Orion. Pre DEI now MD. Lost all trust in the name

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.