Why go Old school?

I understand they are built better. Though i have talked to some older generation car audio guys and they say old school amps tend to be current ****** and not nearly as efficient as todays amps. Idk, i just get worried looking at older amps...like ehhhh. its hard to trust anything old.

Build quality is better. There I said it.

Another thing...they were built to last a long time.

Hence why I keep saying older things are always and will be better than some of things made today.

For one..You can find a quality built less TDH rated amp with under rated/more than often unregulated supplied power and good power for a dirt cheap price compared to todays mainstream over rated amps.Built so much better with quality parts, and in most cases can be easily replaceable compared to todays micro boards.I still run several old school Zed made amps from the late 80s and 90s that still perform and sound absolutely fantastic compared to alot of newer amps Ive bought to replace, and go back to due to the SQ difference. My Autotek BTS and Mean machine series seem to always shell out excellent power and sound fantastic.My Mean Machine 99s,66s,44s,40-90 mxis,BTS 7050s,7100s,7150s,7300s,7204s,and My Hifonic Vii,Viii series Cyclops, Vulcan,Hercules,Gemini,Thor,Odin,Pluto,and some of the cleanest sounding Alpines even to date of the Duo-b 35 series pure SQ with some balls as well 3522,3523,3525,3527, 3548,ect.JBL gtq series/concord(rare),Concord/Harmon K.series,Special Editions/PPI series,SStream USA,SS Granite series,. More than I can list that were built like Tanks! that are pretty much indistructable that can be slammed on all day long and built to last for years,and components inside can be easily replaced.To meet most of these that Ive mentioned that can be had used seem to run in the market of todays amps that most do not want to spend the money for in my opinion.Alot of todays amps run in the range of TDH 0.05%and upwards and rms values are rated @14.4 v unless specified as alot of old amps range from 0.01%TDH and up to 0.05 from 11.9v on up,and some without any current limits up to 16v.I can deff hear the difference in an A/B,A amp compared to a Class D or from an old A/B to a new A/B amp.The depth as well as the clarity.Its just like anything these days..you want quality,your going to have to pay for it.I honestly think that todays amps have an Hour playing limitation such as the new TVs that we have/light bulbs ect. within the electronics world compared to the old tube TVs and old amplifiers,electronics myself? Every Old Zed Made/Steve Mantz Made amplifier Ive bought over the years has always performed,and never let me down.Built Like Tanks!

Whats so Great about old school amps and dont say build quality cuz thats just entirely vague.
Fail.

There's nothing vague about handcrafting with quality parts and testing them to harsh standards. This is why so many people get mislead about stuff in car audio. But ultimately, it's up to the owner of the car.

Back in the 90's, there was not as much China crap at all. Pretty much most all brands back then were companies based out of the US or stuff coming from Japan. Japan having strict standards and good quality control, and the US always making bulletproof stuff. When i was getting into car stereo back then, I just bought what I could afford. Little did I know that the majority of it was all very good stuff. It was alot harder to walk into a car audio shop and leave with China amps that wouldn't be worth a pot to pi.ss in. Nowadays, it's the other way around. In order to get US made stuff, you gotta spend bigger dollars. Back then everyone was only competing with other manufacturers making stuff in the good ol usa or Japanese stuff. Car audio was booming then and somewhere along the lines, the manufacturers were selling out. Most all of the big name high end companies sold their businesses to whoever and as a result they started going China made only.

Instead of just competing with the other guys who were making the same sort of great quality stuff, they were likely facing companies manufacturing them in China, making it impossible to compete in their bottom line.

It may sound really familiar and you might be saying well this happens on a day to day basis. Well it does, but this is basically what happened to old school car audio. Now, you are left with the stuff you are left with to buy. This is exactly why I prefer my ugly dinosaur looking amps over anything you can buy today.

To insist that talking about old school car audio as being over hyped or vague is just an indication of an inexperienced dude that can't face the facts of the history of the hobby.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.