Who's sick of "what should I get" threads?

pyrofreak
10+ year member

.......cuz here's another one.

I'm sorry for bothering you guys. I'm a relative noob to audio, but I've learned quite a bit from both your site and bcae1.com. I know that you guys must hate seeing the same old threads over and over asking the same old S***. On other forums I belong to, I hate it when they don't bother searching before they ask the **** question, so I know how you guys feel. I've search and have read countless threads multiple times and it's starting to kill me/overload. I don't want to base solely on specs. There's good information in between the biases that everyone else has. What compounds the problem is that I don't know anyone who's running the speakers that I want to listen to.

Here's the problem(s): I've kinda narrowed down the choices to CDT hd, edi 6500, rainbow slc, and the long shot focal 165kfs, (which I heard at tweeters). My budget is up to $300 or $350, but of course, the cheaper the better. Someone on another forum is selling the used edi for less than $200. That sounds like a great deal for something that is supposed to be similar, according to the reviews, to the cdt. However, the rainbows seems to be the current hot speakers for quality and value. The focals I kinda threw in there b/c they were the only non-mainstream speaker I listened to, even though it's out of my price range.

btw, I'll be powering them later with an 2ch amp at 100wrms x2 @ 4ohm. Most likely I'll be running in a passive crossover ( i think that's the one). I probably will tune the set up once, and when it's set, I won't be messing around with it afterwards.

In review:

1) Should I pick up the edi6500 b/c it's a deal too good to pass up?

2) Should I spend a little more for the rainbows b/c it's that much better of a speaker?

3) **** it and spend the $$$ elsewhere.

Thanks and sorry for the long post. I've been writing essays 2 days straight and it's starting to get to me.

-Brian

ok, maybe I might have came of wrong in my post. Should I just get the ed b/c they're cheap or just pick up the rainbows for about $100 more?

If there's anyone who's in the San Diego area who'll let me listen to their system, I'd greatly appreciate it.

get the rainbows, and i think you are referring to going "active" not passive. active is where you get to set all your own crossover points/slopes and passive is all those points are preset by factory crossovers.

thanks springy. and yeah, Passive was what I meant. Plug and play w/ the least amount of messing w/ the settings. sorry for the mixup. It's getting late.. It just feels like $180 shipped for the ed is too good to pass up. The cheap sob in me wants to make the deal but i'll sleep on it. But thanks again for your help.

What kind of music do you like?Main artists/bands you listen to?

That's a huge factor.I have yet to hear any CDT mid that doesn't sound like you're holding a pillow over it.Overall, they sound like **** to ME.With the music I listen to, it wasn't going to fly.If you listen to anything with real instruments you'll grow sick of them quick.Lots of people have different tastes in the way their speakers sound.If you listen to rap, WTF are you spending $300 on speakers for anyway?

Another thing.How will they be installed?Kicks or doors? Have you done any deadening to your doors?

well i wouldn't suggest the CDT or EDi with that amount of power you have. 100RMS is not enough to power them. They need atleast 150rms and do best with 200rms. CDT/Edi are laid back with the recommended power but put some more power on them and they come to life.

Yes, I've personally heard the difference in eDi 6500s in the same car. Using a Nine.4 @ 80ish rms, then bridged @170ish RMS per side, and the 170 watts brought the midbass to life in a big way. I'm now waiting for the Soundstream Reference 620.2 to be released. That WILL be my next front stage amp.

I'd definitely recommend 150 per side for any of the cdt HDs or eDi 6500s. They sound OK with 100 rms, but the extra 50-75 watts makes a huge difference with the midbass response.

How are you liking ur rainbows Johnny?

btw, I just rechecked the specs on the amp, it puts out about 130wrms/ channel.

These will be going in undeadened doors for now. I mostly listen to rock with some hip hop so sq is what I want. And yes, I know you guys don't like ed after reading that 10pg thread on what people felt about the ed 6500s.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.