Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Focal

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Alpine

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 33 53.2%

• Total voters
high resolution to me is the same as Hi-Fi....In other words resolution=fidelity in my book..might be wrong but I also think visual when speaking of resolution not sound...we mean the same just using differant terms.

I agree 100 fold.....Us, as car audio goobs, have the worst enviroment to try to recreate a "real" soundstage...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
The concept of SQ in car audio hinges on spacial shaping and tonality. The signal is disassembled and then reassembled by the user into his idea of goodness. OTOH, the a state of the art (home) system will strive to resolve as much information as it can by preserving the purity of the signal, hence arriving at a spacial depiction of a given recording. The environment plays a big role in achieving a specific tonal balance and a stable soundstage, but it doesn't really effect the resolution of a system.

I think that some of what can be done in a car is nothing short of a miracle. I mean, being able to hear a believable soundstage from the driver's seat is just remarkable. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

high resolution to me is the same as Hi-Fi....In other words resolution=fidelity in my book..might be wrong but I also think visual when speaking of resolution not sound...we mean the same just using differant terms.
Fair enough. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I really like Butler amps but, I also play guitar and am a sucker for anything with tubes. So, the warmth of the sound I hear from a tube amp might simply be my imagination.

My daily driver has two PPI Pro Mos 50's pushing the tunes into my ears.

Wheres Linear Power?
The ball-less wonders with the self oscillating power supplies, built in eq that colors the sound, and screeching transformers do not qualify as SQ amplifiers! I know because I owned 13 of them at one point in time! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I really like Butler amps but, I also play guitar and am a sucker for anything with tubes. So, the warmth of the sound I hear from a tube amp might simply be my imagination.
For some reason, tube amps in a vehicle traveling on Louisiana highways seems like a recipe for disaster. Also, a true 12 volt tube amp will NEVER produce enough power to drive anything except horn tweeters in my current setup. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

The best sounding system I've ever listened to was using original Orion 2150sx amps (G&S mids/highs w/ 4-10" Orion Xtr's). That was in the early 90's, and have yet to hear a more detailed, accurate, and flat out f**kin' loud and clean system. Second was a full JL audio set up. My 2cents

Funny recommendations so far...my God! and comments like "none else compares".... some of the previous posters

must have critically listened to over 5000 amps to gain such authority on the subject. To be able to even attempt to answer the

question in subject, one has to spend 25 lifetimes comparing amps to amps in the same environment with the same associated equipment.

I guess the above posters have done that... and some came to the conclusion that Boss (!), Kicker, Sony, Soundstream, Orion etc. in fact

make the best sounding amp out there.

As for me, my answer is that this question is unanswerable. Even if we do pick out the top 4-5 amps such as the ones from

Burmester, Linn, Luxman, Marantz or McIntosh, they will still vary in performance from car to car, head unit to head unit,

speaker to speaker, install to install.

However, so far, these are the 5 amps that were able to recreate a half-ass soundstage, tonal correctness, three-dimensionality,

fidelity and harmonic structure that I'm looking for. But again, only half way there.

"Half way there" is in my opinion the most we can achieve in a car, it being the worst environment for

music playback there is.

Also, this achievement meant using $50K headunits, pure silver wiring, dedicated batteries, exotic wood-boards,

soundproofing of doors, GOOD quality speakers from Wilson Audio, Dynaudio, Burmester, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

1) There is no one answer

2) There are many amps that will make nearly anyone happy

3) This thread is pointless...it's like asking who makes the loudest subs, when install is more important than the sub itself.

I agree with RAM_Designs,

and SUBS are another story altogether. Basically a subwoofer larger than 8" has no place in a car cabin

whatsoever, as it's waves are unable to open up within that distance. Meaning: it cannot produce bass

inside the car, by the time the bass-wave had opened up, it traveled outside of the car's dimensions.

meaning: there will be bass outside, but barely any inside. Most people try to fix this by adding more/large subs,

making things worse. Even an 8" will require a larger cabin space, such as of an extended SUV like a Navigator

or a Hummer. For a sedan, a good quality setup (good quality head unit, amp and door-speakers but NO SUBS)

and soundproofing is what is needed. No speakers over 6.5".

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...