Who has the best amp????

500 watts really isn't much power nowadays for most people, even me having 1500 watts to my single 15 I wanted more.
You bought the wrong sub. But I bet it was the one you really wanted, it was the 'it' brand, and it had specs with all sorts of zeros on the end of their numbers yet it left you wanting more in the end.

The marketing dept won and you, ultimately, lost. 1500w is **** ridiculous for a single driver...unless your amp was junk. That's a pretty good possibility too...

You bought the wrong sub. But I bet it was the one you really wanted, it was the 'it' brand, and it had specs with all sorts of zeros on the end of their numbers yet it left you wanting more in the end.
The marketing dept won and you, ultimately, lost. 1500w is **** ridiculous for a single driver...unless your amp was junk. That's a pretty good possibility too...
Your a tool.

Haha you are such an idiot. The sub I had was had no brand or spec sheet as it was custom built by a user of the forums. I told him what I wanted out of the sub and he built it for me. The sub could handle 2500w rms and I only had 1500w going to it (my previous amp from my previous setup). My plan was to put 2500 watts onto it but it got stolen.

Trust me, there was nothing wrong with the sub or my amp, but I got used to the bass and wanted more. 1500w is nothing honestly, theres people who run 3k+ to single drivers, even up to 6k+.

I dont know if it will push 26,000 watts because I have yet to need that much. Peak power and rms power is 2 totally different things, its a 12001d not 2001d, I feel pretty **** confident that it will do rated power though. It's the same amp as a soundstream xxx15000, the user manual for both amps is the same minus the name on it, they rate it at 14 and 16v and the amp is rated at 13,000watts bridged at 1ohm and 14.4v, I have mine running at 14.5v and .5ohm load per side, so the rating is 6600watts per side, does it really make that power IDK but I can assure you that it is slamming the crap outta my 2500w rms subs enough to do a nice hair trick and hit a 153-154db at 36hz without a complete sealed off wall, it does do a 150db at 30hz aswell.

It's a solid power house and I only have to deal with 1 amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. Russ

oh okay thanks for the info! Well when I had two dual 2s wired down to .5 (supposedly ) my meter was showing .8 and jumping down to .7 then resting at .8 but one coil was at 2 ohm
and thanks pro rabbit u being a guy that's been doing this for years I trust your feedback

and oh does that lanzar 2001 really put out 26,000 wrms?

The best Amp, would actually be Sundown because their all tested at 12.8 volts, when 95% of the other amps are tested at 13.8volts.

if money is no option SUNDOWN, HANDSDOWN //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Thats really the best thing you could do. Beause it's really just a bunch of heresay unless you can get out and see a bunch of diff setups. I did alot of research on amps of the calibre that I bought and is why I bought what I have, it was the cheapest out there.

Russ

Thanks alot everyone im goning back to the drawing boards and starting from scratch....
this time imma do alot more research on wat i buy

once again thanks for all your help

I like your idea. But honestly, most people wanna upgrade shortly after they put something together simply because they get used to it and want more, now granted there is the few that build a big system first and dont upgrade for awhile or dont upgrade ever.

I have yet to see a loud system that didnt cost a handful of thousands to build. What are you concidering loud? DB wise?

Most people these days that want a hitting system are gonna play music that plays well below 40hz. Music back in the day did not have those freq that are in music today, with that being said we need woofers designed to play those freq. I'm no noobie to this, I'm 40yrs old and have had a couple systems over the years and listen to a wide variety of music.

I know alot of people from competing and with the big bass machines out there, most wanna try to build something in comparison and for that it takes some good equipment that isnt cheap.

Russ

I don't give one iota about "paper watts", "paper impedance", a-weighted THD, or any of the other stuff you read on a spec sheet. Never have...
What's important, to me at least, is if the amp 1. Sounds good, 2. is reliable, 3. isn't noisy, and 4. fits in my trunk. I've never gone out and bought subwoofers and then tried to find an amp to work with them. I've always bought an amp, or amps, and designed the system & install around those taking care to not require additional batteries, an HO alternator, or who know what else.

Amps designed to run at those low impedances usually do not sound good and none are reliable. When you ask a switching device to do twice the power you halve it's lifespan. Furthermore, many users choke the power supplies b/c they do not supply enough current to their new monstrosity. What's the point of getting a cheap $200 3kW amp if you need $500 worth of batteries, alternators, and 1/0 to not kill it? To me, that defeats the purpose of a budget system especially since you can get just as loud and sound just as good, if not better, with smaller amps & different drivers.

Honestly, I do not see why your garden variety street system would ever need more than 500w. There's plenty of good sounding speakers out there that are quite efficient...it's the subwoofers that are the problem as they've become quite fat over the years. Remember when kids used to be able to terrorize the neighborhood with a pair of W2's & a Punch60? That doesn't happen now. Remember when $300 for a 12" sub was really expensive? What the heck happened?

You do not need to spend a lot of money to sound good nor do you have to spend a lot of $$$ to get loud. You need to plan everything accordingly and in my experience, building around the amp is the smarter way to go about things.

The best Amp, would actually be Sundown because their all tested at 12.8 volts, when 95% of the other amps are tested at 13.8volts.
if money is no option SUNDOWN, HANDSDOWN //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Using your logic, DD would be better because they are rated at 11.9, and iirc they used to be rated at 10.9

In all reality, no matter how they rate an amp and at what voltage a particular amp is only gonna make so much power no matter how much voltage you give it or not give it, so unless it's a really powerful amp your only gonna see a few hundred watts diff between 12v and 16v so whats the big deal really, buy an amp that is bigger than you really need and your gonna be better off in the long run.

Some of this info is fact and some is opinion, the experienced will be able to split the 2. Russ

Using your logic, DD would be better because they are rated at 11.9, and iirc they used to be rated at 10.9

It is really hard to say 1 company has the best amps. Are you talking about quality, Output power or both anyhow?

If you are looking for a durable quality amp then do your research or see what a lot of other people are running without issues.

There are so many brand of amps that are quality products, its not even funny.

Just to name a few that are good..

Sundown Audio, Zed, American Bass, mmats, stetsom, Audioque, DD, DC Audio, Solid Audio, Crescendo, Optidrive, Old School Orion amps, Soundstream, Arc audio, RD amps, Old school USamps, IA, ETC.. My point is just do research and find out about the quality of a given amp and what people are saying about them. I obviously left out a lot of amps.

My favorites are American Bass VFL amps, Sundown Audio, MMATS, DD, AQ.

A lot of the amps made in Korea are high quality like Sundown for example. A lot of the stuff nowadays is made overseas or has parts from overseas, Everything depends on what facility it is made in and the quality control.

meh, JL slash series amps can make full power under 12v... so theyd be better than with your arguemnet. theres other amps that can do that too

I like your idea. But honestly, most people wanna upgrade shortly after they put something together simply because they get used to it and want more, now granted there is the few that build a big system first and dont upgrade for awhile or dont upgrade ever.I have yet to see a loud system that didnt cost a handful of thousands to build. What are you concidering loud? DB wise?

Most people these days that want a hitting system are gonna play music that plays well below 40hz. Music back in the day did not have those freq that are in music today, with that being said we need woofers designed to play those freq. I'm no noobie to this, I'm 40yrs old and have had a couple systems over the years and listen to a wide variety of music.

I know alot of people from competing and with the big bass machines out there, most wanna try to build something in comparison and for that it takes some good equipment that isnt cheap.

Russ
For a street system which will never see a comp; 130dB is loud...140dB is obscene. I imagine most people would be happy somewhere in the middle of those two numbers.

I hear you on the

SPL and big bass is fleeting. Like you've said, you get used to it...but there's other ways to go about 'getting more' and it doesn't always have to involve bigger subs, bigger amps, and more cost/complexity. Grant it, I'm an SQ guy and I haven't had a big boomy system since I was in college but even then I always got the most enjoyment & most fulfillment from systems that did more with less. Efficient speakers/woofers, 1-2 high quality amps, simple processing and I don't see any reason why someone can spend less than $1000, use less than 1000w, hit 140dB, and sound pretty good at the same time. (I've done exactly that in the past)

This myth that a 200w speaker will sound better/louder than a 100w is the problem. You see kids buying the biggest woofer, garbage amps, and they wonder why their lights dim and it doesn't sound so great. The myth that all amps sound the same and 'a watt is a watt' is the other myth that's a huge problem. There's a big difference between a test lab and the trunk of a car and it's why a good amp will make mediocre speakers/subs sound great while a garbage amp will make speakers/subs sound...well...like garbage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.