SOLD Which sub would go great with ... (stuff to trade here too)

waverida1
10+ year member

NH
My subwoofer system consists of:

Alpine SWR-1040D 10" subwoofers (x2)

JBL BP1200.1 Amplifier

Alumapro 5 Farad Capacitor

I want to get rid of the 2 10s (enclosure taking up too much space in my trunk) and go with one subwoofer. The new enclosure would be .6 cubic feet but I know fiberfill/polyfill can be added to the enclosure to 'increase' the volume of the box. Due to location, the subwoofer can be no more than 12". Any recommendations?

I'm also looking for trades, possibly for that subwoofer or other car audio/video gear.

Things that I have:

Several Alpine Type-R dual voice coil 10" subs (5, I believe)

Alpine 12 disk changer (CHA-1204)

Alpine CDA-7844 CD head unit (40 x 4)

Single 10" sub enclosure

Double 10" mirrored sub enclosure (currently in my car with 2 Alpines in it)

Triple 10" sub enclosure

Alpine CHA-1204 12 disk changer

Alpine MRV-F407

If you'd like to trade and you have pics, I have pics too.

Papa: The enclosure I'll be using is one that is built into the spare tire well of my vehicle (fiberglass) but thanks for the info. My enclosure will be around 0.6 cu.ft. but fiberfill can be added to "increase" its size.

10" SWR-1040D specs:

RMS value of 300W

Peak value of 1000W

Recommended Sealed Box Volume : 0.5 – 0.8 cu. ft.

My JBL 1200 has either a RMS value of 1200W (1 ohm stable) or that is its peak. I can easily wire one 10" Alpine in a 2 ohm configuration and it'd get plenty of power. However, I'd like to get a nice 12" with comparable (if not better) specs to my Alpine sub.

Also, I'm having a few issues with my camera so pics will be delayed.

JBL isn't 1 ohm stable, it can be run @ that..but it's really not reccomended...granted I've seen them run like that for a few months, but they tend to overheat like hell. and if you wired that alpine w/300 rms value @ 2 ohms..you'd BLOW it up..that's still 1200+ watts @ 2 ohms RMS. Wire it up to 4ohms @ 600 and keep the gains down..

JDG, there's my problem. The 10" alpine I have is a dual 4 ohm voice coil. I can wire it in 2 ohm or 8 ohm configuration. There's no way I can put more than one speaker in the enclosure so I'd need a sub that can handle the JBL AND can function properly in a small enclosure.

Also, I've been running my JBL at 1 ohm for a while but I've never pushed it or blasted my music for extended amounts of time. That's probably why I haven't had any issues with it.

So now I must find a sub that will work with my planned configuration.

JBL isn't 1 ohm stable, it can be run @ that..but it's really not reccomended...granted I've seen them run like that for a few months, but they tend to overheat like hell. and if you wired that alpine w/300 rms value @ 2 ohms..you'd BLOW it up..that's still 1200+ watts @ 2 ohms RMS. Wire it up to 4ohms @ 600 and keep the gains down..
Eh.. it IS 1 ohm stable. BTW, I ran it this way for a good year or so.. and it never got more than warm.

Well to be perfectly honest, I think it varies from amp to amp, since then I ran a different JBL 1200.1 @ 1ohm and it's been about 7 months w/no problems or overheating issues, but I built ciooling vents and added a fan for extra measure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.