WHich one will win? Crossover ?

JettaGLI
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
PDX
I have the crossover on my deck and on my amps. WHich one overrides the other?

I have my amp LPF set at 67 HZ and when I bump my HU LPF up to 125 it plays up to 125 out of my subs. But when I set the HU LPF to 50, and leave my sub amp LPF set at 67, then the subs play at 67.

SO, I just want to confirm that whichever crossover is set higher will win? Or is there some other rhyme or reason to this crossover situation?

My goal is to use the amps crossovers and not have the deck get in the way. I can turn off the HPF on the deck, but LPF can't be turned off.

Ok, but that still doesn't answer my question. Which one wins when it comes to crossover settings?

I have the avic N2

this is a complicated question..i'll make an example for subs.

lets say you have a subwoofer line out.. on your headunit you set it to low pass nothing above 120hz.. then at your amp, you set it to lowpass 100hz.. your subs will only play things under 100hz.

on the other hand.. if you set it to lowpass on your headunit to 50hz, then your amplifier to 600hz, the sub will only play things under 50hz, because the headunit is not letting the other sound get to the sub

hope this awnsers your questions.

Probably be better too set it correctly on your headunit so it doesn't try too process frequencies(sp.) that aren't even being used, possibly affecting total output. Next I would be sure to set the amp to the correct frequency.

I have the crossover on my deck and on my amps. WHich one overrides the other?
I have my amp LPF set at 67 HZ and when I bump my HU LPF up to 125 it plays up to 125 out of my subs. But when I set the HU LPF to 50, and leave my sub amp LPF set at 67, then the subs play at 67.

SO, I just want to confirm that whichever crossover is set higher will win? Or is there some other rhyme or reason to this crossover situation?

My goal is to use the amps crossovers and not have the deck get in the way. I can turn off the HPF on the deck, but LPF can't be turned off.
There is no "win". They will both be effective.

In a simple explaination; The signal will begin to be attenuated at 50hz, and then at 67hz the attentuation will get steeper (combines with the slope from the 1st crossover).

There is no "win". They will both be effective.
In a simple explaination; The signal will begin to be attenuated at 50hz, and then at 67hz the attentuation will get steeper (combines with the slope from the 1st crossover).
Thanks squeak. That seems to jive with what I have experianced. There is no win. I could have my sub amp Low passed at 67, but when I low pass the deck at 125, my subs play to 125.

I wish I could just turn the lpf off on the HU like I can the HPF. I have JL amps, and you can precisely set the crossovers with those amps.

Thanks squeak..... I could have my sub amp Low passed at 67, but when I low pass the deck at 125, my subs play to 125.
NO, The subs will still only play to 67 Hz (if you're stateing that both are still being used). In low pass, which ever freq is lowest will be the "cut off" point and vise versa w/High pass. The highest freq will be known as the "cut off" point. (that is if more than one HP/LP is being used at the same time, but on that note: Why would you want to do that other than to have a steeper slope in which both freq. would need to be the same.)

but on that note: Why would you want to do that other than to have a steeper slope in which both freq. would need to be the same.)
They would not have to be at the exact same frequency. Same principle's still apply.

They would not have to be at the exact same frequency. Same principle's still apply.
I was hoping that wouldn't be mentioned. It could open a whole new can of worms. SO N' SO doesn't know what he's talking about....That kind of stuff.

Well, you guys know more than me, but, I have the deck and amps in my car, and I can tell you first hand, that.... my amp is set at LPF 67hz, and when I turn my decks LPF to 125, the 125 is played and played fully. I have a test tone cd, and have done this.

And, to answer the questins asked, "why would you use both crossovers" The answer is becasue my avic n2 does not allow me to turn off the LPF.

It only has selections of 50, 80, 125 @ 18db slope.

RIght now I have it set to 50 and my amp at 67hz with a 12 db slope.

Well, you guys know more than me, but, I have the deck and amps in my car, and I can tell you first hand, that.... my amp is set at LPF 67hz, and when I turn my decks LPF to 125, the 125 is played and played fully. I have a test tone cd, and have done this.

And, to answer the questins asked, "why would you use both crossovers" The answer is becasue my avic n2 does not allow me to turn off the LPF.

It only has selections of 50, 80, 125 @ 18db slope.

RIght now I have it set to 50 and my amp at 67hz with a 12 db slope.

I doubt it's being played fully.

For example; If 67hz is being played at an output level of 125db (very modest output for subs now-a-days), and you have a 12db/oct crossover set at 67hz, then 125hz (slightly less than 1 octave higher) would still have an output of ~113db. Which is clearly audible, and probably more output than your mids have at that same frequency. If 67hz plays at 135db, then 125hz will still be ~123db...which is pretty damn loud.

However, when you set the deck's crossover to 50hz, the slope becomes much steeper since you are using it in conjunction with the amp's crossover, hence the output at the higher frequencies is much lower.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.