when volume plateaus and at about 80%

More powerful amp and better box. But I wouldn't go over 1200 rms

Get rid of that HO box.

My suggestion: have cscstang build ya one.

JL%20W7%20PORTED%20BOX_zpsr0wq1bi2.jpg.html

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/mrmanuel1234/media/JL%20W7%20PORTED%20BOX_zpsr0wq1bi2.jpg.html?filters[user]=143302965&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif at people telling you to get a better amp because the HU is clipping.

For the record I was telling him he needs to turn down the boost and sub setting on his hu.... Probably needs to adjust the gain on his amp if he needs to turn the hu all the way up to get loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He also should finish the big 3 upgrade as well... Alt to positive engine ground to neg post neg to body neg to frame

Headunit is clipping. A bigger/better amp or setting gains different won't change the fact that your HU clips the average signal at 28..

Seriously??

Keep your volume at 28. Bass boost on the headunit and on the amp should be set to 0. Getting a decent box should be your first step. It's better to get a box that suits a sub than to keep throwing more power at it, otherwise you're straining your electrical, your amp and your sub for minimal gains.

Headunit is clipping. A bigger/better amp or setting gains different won't change the fact that your HU clips the average signal at 28..
Seriously??
No but properly setting the gain should get him his optimal bass at vol level 28

No but properly setting the gain should get him his optimal bass at vol level 28

Yes, that's not what he was asking.

He wants to get max volume when his headunit is maxed out.

My gains were set with a scope at max volume on my headunit (35)

Daily listening, I only have it at 31 or 32 depending on the song.

Nothing wrong with that.

Yes, that's not what he was asking.
He wants to get max volume when his headunit is maxed out.

My gains were set with a scope at max volume on my headunit (35)

Daily listening, I only have it at 31 or 32 depending on the song.

Nothing wrong with that.
This sounds like what I'm trying to do . Just want to get closer to my 35 - feels like quitting at 28 is too far

This sounds like what I'm trying to do . Just want to get closer to my 35 - feels like quitting at 28 is too far
You will nto get closer to the 35 and stay clean. Why would you want to anyways? That's pointless.

Just don't turn it up past 28 and pretend that's what your max volume is, haha

Have you read all the gain-setting tutorials?

There's a reason why most say to turn your radio up 75% to set gains.

Lol, I guess I could do that . Let me be clear though , I want to get full potential from my sub. Feels like I'm getting ripped off a bit here . I just wonder if the sub can do more and if so I want it.

Lol, I guess I could do that . Let me be clear though , I want to get full potential from my sub. Feels like I'm getting ripped off a bit here . I just wonder if the sub can do more and if so I want it.
If your gains are set right and your headunit's voltage is maxed out at volume 28, you should be getting the most out of your amp while still being safe.

If you want more out of your sub, get a bigger amp.

You really feel like you're being ripped off because you can't turn your headunit all the way up and keep a clean signal?

In my truck I listen at volume 20 out of 35. In my car it is 31 or 32 out of 35.

Ok, i guess it's like a balancing act where I have to adjust one to get the other until I can get it up their in mid 30s. Another reason I posted is I was concerned that maybe it was an bad ground, needed bigger Gage or amp or box. It's always good to get your inputs fellas. Thanks again

Yeah you could have gotten a recommended 18 or 15" ssa xcon/icon and a custom ported box with that 600 dollars and your winshield would be flexing several inches by now. Along with not being able to breathe in your car while everything still sounding great with music.

You are pretty maxed out on what a 12w7 can do for output. More power is not gonna do much at all given your current constant power amp. A custom box will give you more lows but not gonna gain that much dbs either compared to that h/o box from jl. Pretty much you have hit a wall with what that sub can do. A 10 to a 12 is. Not that big of an upgrade and they are known to be SQ oriented woofers that can bump a lil harder than a w6. You can do a custom 4th order bandpass enclosure with it and gain a lot of db with a narrower bandwidth if you want to stick with that w7. Otherwise, you are stuck with it until you keep an open mind and try what the veterans on here suggest. Most have either built boxes for w7s, ran them or have friends that run them. They know louder can be had for the same amount of money. Many would still run them if there was a good deal for one for a bumping sq setup but not a LOUD setup.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.