What would you do?

Participant count
  • Participant list
So, mechman alternators was the only one with, I guess you could say, Lexus alternator inventory to look at. Anyway, pretty much the max I can get (at least from mechman) is 240 amp. I'm assuming that's at 1800 RPM (like the 400 I have in my Silverado. It's rated at 1800 RPM). So if I want big power, I'll need a lot of lithium power.
Lexus has a hatchback. The CT models, with an i4 engine, but I couldn't find any alternators for those engines. Only the v6's and v8's.
The dealership my friend works at has a used ES300. 84000+ miles. A 2001.

So, mechman alternators was the only one with, I guess you could say, Lexus alternator inventory to look at. Anyway, pretty much the max I can get (at least from mechman) is 240 amp. I'm assuming that's at 1800 RPM (like the 400 I have in my Silverado. It's rated at 1800 RPM). So if I want big power, I'll need a lot of lithium power.
Lexus has a hatchback. The CT models, with an i4 engine, but I couldn't find any alternators for those engines. Only the v6's and v8's.
The dealership my friend works at has a used ES300. 84000+ miles. A 2001.

I have a Mechman 320, 40 ah of Ying Long, big three (1/0), and an AGM and I still drop into the low 13's. I'm only running 3,500 (rated) watts on my bass. Please make sure that your electrical is strong.

I have a Mechman 320, 40 ah of Ying Long, big three (1/0), and an AGM and I still drop into the low 13's. I'm only running 3,500 (rated) watts on my bass. Please make sure that your electrical is strong.
Yes. That's one of the reasons why I'm asking about different vehicle opinions before I even purchase one, basically to help give me a leg up on planning out the system.
If I can't fit or power the amount of juice I would like to send through it, I need to think of anther option before I screw up and buy the wrong thing

Yes. That's one of the reasons why I'm asking about different vehicle opinions before I even purchase one, basically to help give me a leg up on planning out the system.
If I can't fit or power the amount of juice I would like to send through it, I need to think of anther option before I screw up and buy the wrong thing

I would say buy 12v rated amps. People tell me I'm crazy when I tell them my drop but I can film it any day of the week. It does bounce right back to over 14 but 13.5 with my truck idling and only 3,500 watts seems a bit low to me. Just get 12v rated amps.

I would say buy 12v rated amps. People tell me I'm crazy when I tell them my drop but I can film it any day of the week. It does bounce right back to over 14 but 13.5 with my truck idling and only 3,500 watts seems a bit low to me. Just get 12v rated amps.
I'm most likely going to run a Salt amp, Incriminator IA series, or B2. While maybe not rated at 12v, they tend to do over rated power. I guess it'll depend how I'm feeling when I'm ready to purchase

I'm most likely going to run a Salt amp, Incriminator IA series, or B2. While maybe not rated at 12v, they tend to do over rated power. I guess it'll depend how I'm feeling when I'm ready to purchase

SALT amps don't like high voltage either. I'm clamping over 2,500 watts on my Sundown 3,500 at the moment. Crescendo would be my amp of choice if space and money wasn't a factor.

Have you looked at a Scion or Kia Soul?
My buddy works at a Lexus dealership, so if he could get me a decent deal, it wouldn't be so bad. Help out the folks and get him a sale I guess.
Truth be told, I don't even want the damn car 🤣 but if my wife is insistent, I'm at least going to make it fun for me.
If I don't end up going through him, and I can't talk my wife out of it, I think I'll probably end up with a late model impala or something. Something with a big trunk.
My argument was, after finishing my truck, if I don't drive it to work, when will I drive it? 🤣 her argument is, if I drive it everyday, and something happens to it, then what?
We'll see what happens I guess. The ES300 they have now looks boring as all hell, but looks to be a pretty decent sized car. I wonder how big the trunk is

SALT amps don't like high voltage either. I'm clamping over 2,500 watts on my Sundown 3,500 at the moment. Crescendo would be my amp of choice if space and money wasn't a factor.
That's true. SALT amps don't like it. If I go LTO and externally regulated alternator to maybe bump it up to 15v (of that's even possible with whatever i get), that amp might not be too happy. I know those IA amps will take high voltage no problem.

My buddy works at a Lexus dealership, so if he could get me a decent deal, it wouldn't be so bad. Help out the folks and get him a sale I guess.
Truth be told, I don't even want the damn car 🤣 but if my wife is insistent, I'm at least going to make it fun for me.
If I don't end up going through him, and I can't talk my wife out of it, I think I'll probably end up with a late model impala or something. Something with a big trunk.
My argument was, after finishing my truck, if I don't drive it to work, when will I drive it? 🤣 her argument is, if I drive it everyday, and something happens to it, then what?
We'll see what happens I guess. The ES300 they have now looks boring as all hell, but looks to be a pretty decent sized car. I wonder how big the trunk is

My buddy was doing over a 150 in a VW CC from the trunk.

My buddy was doing over a 150 in a VW CC from the trunk.
That's not bad at all. I've heard it's hard to get really loud in a trunk build. I've never tried though. I've always owned a truck or SUV.
What was he running? And was the box firing towards the trunk? Or facing in the cab, sealed off?

That's true. SALT amps don't like it. If I go LTO and externally regulated alternator to maybe bump it up to 15v (of that's even possible with whatever i get), that amp might not be too happy. I know those IA amps will take high voltage no problem.

So, why would you feed a SALT amp and risk blowing it by over powering it?

So, why would you feed a SALT amp and risk blowing it by over powering it?
I wouldn't. I hadn't thought about it until you said something. But that's one of the 2 reasons I changed the alternator in my truck. The 2 SALT 4's wouldn't be too happy with the 15.3v cold starts and random charging from my vehicle regulated charging system, and neither would my LifePo4 lithium battery. So I bypassed the RVC and will be getting a constant 14.7v from the alternator. No weird fluctuations.
I bet those SALT amps could handle the little over 15v they'd get from my stock charging system, but it's an easy bypass. No use chanceing it

Last edited:
That's not bad at all. I've heard it's hard to get really loud in a trunk build. I've never tried though. I've always owned a truck or SUV.
What was he running? And was the box firing towards the trunk? Or facing in the cab, sealed off?

2-12's totally sealed off on a 5K. He tried his azz off. It wasn't easy but he finally broke 150. He didn't like that my 4-8's were scoring higher on the meter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Dafaseles

CarAudio.com Exclusive
Dafaseles
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date