What type of subwoofer to choose

Participant count
  • Participant list

droopeks

CarAudio.com Newbie
Latvia
Never owned a car with a custom sound system. Recently bought a car which has a prewired (working) amplifier Alpine mrp-mp350 700w in a trunk. It is wired to the stock audio head unit with a seperate switch to turn on/off. And a cable hanging for a subwoofer +/-. So Instead of taking it out, decided maybe buy a subwoofer but have no knowlege how powerful sub I can connect to it. Can somebody recommend something for the first time buyer/user?

How much space are you willing to give up for the subwoofer enclosure? What is the vehicle?
Hey, I was thinking just a single, already boxed 12" sub. I don't know/understand how good and powerful my amp is. Or if it is possible, maybe 15"? Does size matter in this case? My car is a vw passat b7 sedan/saloon.

How much space are you willing to give up for the subwoofer enclosure? What is the vehicle?
I think something like this. Will my amp have enough power for this?
Screenshot_20210704-235655_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210704-235655_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210704-235655_Chrome.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 93
Your amp will power it, but not to the speaker's full potential. I personally will never used a sealed box again, because ported gives you double the output (according to my ear-meters). Again, suggestions depend on space available. A better enclosure is preferable to a better speaker.

Alpine Type S or Type R in a ported box.
They both seem to be very powerful. The main question here was, to find something reasonable for my amp to be able to play it. I cheked some forums and I don't know of I understood it right, but looking at my amps specs I have to look for subwoofer with max rms at 350w 4ohms.

Yeah an Alpine type S or R would not be a good match at all.

I personally would do a Sundown LCS 12 in a ported box.

Not sure what you have available where you are though.

They both seem to be very powerful. The main question here was, to find something reasonable for my amp to be able to play it. I cheked some forums and I don't know of I understood it right, but looking at my amps specs I have to look for subwoofer with max rms at 350w 4ohms.

Max 350 rms sub means that your amp should be around 700 rms. Just sayin.

Max 350 rms sub means that your amp should be around 700 rms. Just sayin.
Please, explain. I don't understand anything about this. My amp is MRP-MP350 700w, can someone check the specs and tell me what to look at when I look for subwoofer. Max rms, ohms, max power? No need to name manufacturer, cause lot of the previous subs not available where I live.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...