What thickness should buss bars be?

Common sense tells us you simply need the buss bar to have the same amount of material as your wire, or more, in terms of a cross sectional measurement. If a 1/4" x 1.5" bar has the same area (1/4" * 1.5") as the cross sectional area of your wire (Pi®^2), you should be fine. This is, of course, assuming you are comparing same-type materials. If your wire is copper and your buss bars are alum, my comments here are not completely accurate.

And yes, before anyone says it, this is not 100% true, because measuring simple cross sectional areas does not take the 'skin effect' of multi-stranded wire into account. But most of us do not size our wire so closely that this difference would be noticed when going to solid bar stock.

Common sense tells us you simply need the buss bar to have the same amount of material as your wire, or more, in terms of a cross sectional measurement. If a 1/4" x 1.5" bar has the same area (1/4" * 1.5") as the cross sectional area of your wire (Pi®^2), you should be fine. This is, of course, assuming you are comparing same-type materials. If your wire is copper and your buss bars are alum, my comments here are not completely accurate.
And yes, before anyone says it, this is not 100% true, because measuring simple cross sectional areas does not take the 'skin effect' of multi-stranded wire into account. But most of us do not size our wire so closely that this difference would be noticed when going to solid bar stock.
The skin effect only comes into play when your talking about high frequency signals. With 12V DC it should be negligible.

The skin effect only comes into play when your talking about high frequency signals. With 12V DC it should be negligible.
Correct. But I knew someone would mention the surface area difference between bar stock and multi-stranded wire if I didnt say something.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.