What subs?

I know. Why do they even have max power numbers?
Its all marketing. Anything they can do to get you to buy their product, whether its deceptive or not. When you're new to audio, you're going to gravitate towards the box with the biggest number on it, because either you don't know any better or ignorance is bliss.

You'll notice the better companies don't advertise peak ratings.

2 12” type s’a With a pioneer 2400w amp or a single 15” with a 500w rms alpine?
The advantage of going with a larger driver will be ability (in most cases) to play lower than smaller drivers. In this case the Fs, = resonance frequency of the driver of the 15 is 27hz, the 12 is 34hz. You could say the 15 is more 'comfortable' playing lower frequencies than the 12. This can be important in ported boxes where tuning below the Fs can sometimes cause issues. The (2) 12's will have a about 19% more cone area, but the 15 is a tad more sensitive...and would only require 1/2 the power.

What do you guys think 2 type s 12’s on 1200w rms or single 15” on 500w rms
Exactly what Kush said...the 12's for sure. Make sure what ever amp (or DSP) you get has a variable subsonic filter...it is a MUST for ported enclosures. The Type-S sub in 1.5cubes, tuned @32hz with 600rms will unload and hit xmax at 26hz...if you apply a subsonic filter at 20hz @24db you will control the sub below the tuning freq.

Exactly what Kush said...the 12's for sure. Make sure what ever amp (or DSP) you get has a variable subsonic filter...it is a MUST for ported enclosures. The Type-S sub in 1.5cubes, tuned @32hz with 600rms will unload and hit xmax at 26hz...if you apply a subsonic filter at 20hz @24db you will control the sub below the tuning freq.
Have you modeled the subs to know when they unload? I recently built a box for 2 older type s 12s, 3.8cf tuned to 37-38hz and they hit xmax at 27hz. Thats in a bigger box with higher tuning which should theoretically unload sooner than a lower tuned smaller box. The new type's have similar tsp properties so I doubt much has changed other than a bigger voice coil for more power handling a maybe a little more excursion.

Setting the ssf at 20hz when the sub hits xmax in the mid to high 20s won't protect much of anything, you want to set the filter to above the unload point.

Have you modeled the subs to know when they unload? I recently built a box for 2 older type s 12s, 3.8cf tuned to 37-38hz and they hit xmax at 27hz. Thats in a bigger box with higher tuning which should theoretically unload sooner than a lower tuned smaller box. The new type's have similar tsp properties so I doubt much has changed other than a bigger voice coil for more power handling a maybe a little more excursion.
Setting the ssf at 20hz when the sub hits xmax in the mid to high 20s won't protect much of anything, you want to set the filter to above the unload point.
Yup

QI1tYrM.png

I’d go with the two 10” SWS in a ported alignment. If I remember right, my type S is in a slot ported 1.1 cube net volume box tuned to 35 hz. The 10” are more suited to a ported box than the SWS 12 with better sound qaulity. The 12’s will require a much larger box. Get the SoundQubed S1-1250 or the S1-2250 and tuned it for 1000 watts so there is lots of headroom. The Infinity K1000 is a good deal and is just $219 from Crutchfield right now.

Another option is the FU Audio FU300 subwoofers. They are just $50 for the 10” and $60 for the 12”. I had one 10” and it sounded phenomenal in a 1.4 cube gross volume prefab box tuned to 35 hz. For the money these cannot be beat. Only thing with these is they are power hungry. I had mine running on 500 watts RMS. The person I sold it to was skeptical until I let him listen to it in my car in that box. 2 minutes of play time and he was sold. FU Car Audio, fu audio, fu car audio. In fact the graph you see in my avatar is the frequency response I took using REW with a mini DSP mic between my Alpine SWS 12 sealed and that 10 FU Audio in that ported box. I’ve also heard the FU 750 15” version in person in a 3+ cude ported box and man does that thing get loud.

FU 300 vs MTX sub for comparison. Both are 10” https://imgur.com/gallery/evHl0

They type R 15 has a peaky response curve unless you tune it low and put it in a big box. The type S 12s player flatter and have an advantage over the 15 beginning around 35hz and going up to the low/hi pass filter on the headunit/amp. The S 12's will be far more musical and sound less boomy compared to the R 15.

The **** you were smokin back then probably took you a 1/2 ounce to get high 

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

What are you hatin on a younge bass head for? I can drive by the way
I was 17 in 82, dude back then you get half a lid for 75 bucks, that is half a brick. With 10 bucks, you could get a six pack of beer, a sandwich with chips, and a nickel bag of dank, and still have a lil over a dollar in change.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.