What subs?

F'ing stroke at age 49... can't even drink anymore... so im learning new things atm... no more stressful jobs for this kid.Over 2 years and I'm still recovering... it was a bad one... lol
Ahhh, that's not good... Forget I mentioned it
Sent from my SamsungLife using Tapatalk

For under $200 a sub your best options are Dayton Reference or Alpine Type-S. Both are designed for SQ, have good displacement capabilities, and work with moderate power and small-ish enclosures. Also you may want to consider a single 15 instead of dual 12's...usually a 15 will dig deeper. Someone was selling a couple SoundSplinter RL-P 15's on here not long ago...based off the legendary TC9 platform it will easliy out perform any combo of 12's mentioned in this thread.
My advice, grab a single 15, throw 800-100rms at it. Forget Skar and Kicker...Skar is garbage and unfortunately Kicker's quality has gone down hill over the last couple decades. Look to brands like Alpine, Sundown, JL, anything TC Sounds built, Image dynamics, Dayton Reference/Ultimax. Honestly the best value in subs right now would be Alpine Type-S...underhung motor/coil design, 15mm excursion, relatively shallow mounting depth, inexpensive, Alpine quality...and available in a 15.

Buy one of these: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-classifieds/636401-fs-soundsplinter-15s.html
Kicker really has gone down hill in quality. I had two kicker subs and I managed to blow them both. One was mechanically blown and the other I killed a coil. Whether that was error on my part idk but all I can say is the 15” P3 fosgate I had in my trunk I was running double it’s rated RMS constantly and took it like a champ. Its retired to a home theater sub now. It has a hole in the cone from the fight it had with my + shaped tire iron that moved from its spot in the trunk. Whoops. I ghetto patched it with electrical and duck tape. Still works like a charm.

Kicker really has gone down hill in quality. I had two kicker subs and I managed to blow them both. One was mechanically blown and the other I killed a coil. Whether that was error on my part idk but all I can say is the 15” P3 fosgate I had in my trunk I was running double it’s rated RMS constantly and took it like a champ. Its retired to a home theater sub now. It has a hole in the cone from the fight it had with my + shaped tire iron that moved from its spot in the trunk. Whoops. I ghetto patched it with electrical and duck tape. Still works like a charm.
Kickers have next to no cooling abilities, it's like they want you to blow them so it ensures a steady demand.

Or maybe it was from playing that "bad information below 40hz" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

I still got a Kenford amp... lol... its tied to a rope as a drift anchor atm... oh... sorry... Kenwood is what you are considering?

Get an amp that puts out man... good advice above^^^

Kickers have next to no cooling abilities, it's like they want you to blow them so it ensures a steady demand.
Or maybe it was from playing that "bad information below 40hz" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
I’ll tell you something that I’ve never seen happen before. So the first kicker I had that I blew a coil on I had hooked up to a Pioneer D9605 5 channel amp since I couldn’t afford a dedicated sub amp. At the time it was decent, 600 Watts RMS on the sub side for a 300w RMS sub. Good clean power. So I was pushing it hard to Dance All Night by Baby Bash, **** thing took my sub channel out with it when it blew a coil. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif it didn’t throw the amp into protection or anything lol. I still use that amp as a 4 channel amp with a 1200w beside it but **** was I pissed.

I have a 25 + year old Alpine 60 + 60 RMS 2 channel Amplifier that I bridged for 160 watts to push a JL Microsub I used a couple years ago. I swapped it with a new Kenwood class AB 2 channel amplifier also bridged and set the gains exactly the same. That was the first time I ever noticed a difference between amplifiers. The Alpine made that JL sub sound dynamic and big, the Kenwood sounded flat and weak. I just tried this with the same Alpine Amplifier compared to a NVX amplifier that is rated for more power. Again the Alpine amplifier sounds like it has way more dynamic power and or headroom and makes that subwoofer sound amazing. The NVX amplifier in comparison sounded meh.

That Alpine Amplifier was made in Japan and I guess is what some refer to as old school power. Not like the American old school power I guess but still impresses me today. Maybe Kenwood class D amplifiers are better now but after that experience I stay away from them all now.

OK. My step brother has a mrv-m500 and that cuts out all the time when another amp didn’t. I have a old 90’s alpine mrv-t300 that worked good on the kickers. Alpine amps are just soooo expensive. I’ll look into some pioneer amps

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.