What size box should I get / build: Sealed ft3: 0.70? IDQ10V3.D4

MediumTech
10+ year member

Original post noted below: Questions have been answered, Thanks: Edited 1/8/12

If these are the specs for this subwoofer (IDQ10V3.D4), and if I want to use a sealed box, do I simply get a Sealed ft3: 0.70? Which I understand would be a sealed box with .70 cubic feet of inside space?

Do I subtract the volume of the woofer while mounted in the box?

The speaker specs give: Sealed Enclosure Range: .55cu.ft. - 1.1cu.ft

Do I vary my choice of box size to "tune" resonant frequency?

I'm planning to be box shopping for this sub over the next few days.

IDQ10V3.D4 - Image Dynamics 10" IDQ Version 3 Subwoofer

Sealed Enclosure Range: .55cu.ft. - 1.1cu.ft

Fs- Resonant Frequency: 22.23 Hz

Vas- Equivalent volume: 3.10cuft (88 liters)

Xmax- One way linear: 19.0mm

Sd- Cone Area: 399.1 cm2

Splo- Sensitivity: 85dB

Power: 50-500W RMS

XMax: 17.0mm

Sealed ft3: 0.70

Ported ft3: 1.00

WoofersEtc.com - IDQ10V3.D4 - Image Dynamics 10" IDQ Version 3 Subwoofer

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go alil bigger then .7cf after sub displacement you are actually looking at under .6cf prob even more not sure of the space the woofer takes up.

Sealed gives a flatter frequency response in car. It also has much better group delay.

Ported is much louder in most cases, this is why so many people go ported.

Sealed gives a flatter frequency response in car. It also has much better group delay. Ported is much louder in most cases, this is why so many people go ported.
A properly designed ported enclosure can achieve the same response curve and in many times a better one then sealed. Especially when discussing the horrible acoustics of a car.

However, the application and product will dictate the enclosure.

and considering its an id q which is one very nice sounding sub. that sq is the end goal in mind.
Just to clarify, that does not mean a sealed enclosure is best for the application or for SQ.

Not suggesting for this case it is not a better choice, just saying that this is not a cut/dry topic.

:cool:Yep, what they said.

I'm after accuracy and a flat frequency response.

I'm figuring 600watts from the PowerBass Autosound ASA 600.1, will give me more volume than I've dreamed of.

The best subwoofer setup I've ever had is a 12year old Image Dynamics, in a slightly undersized, sealed box, with only 100watts.

Yes, it is true that a ported box can do very well I'm terms of sq. It is easier to mess up than a sealed box. I can't find much info on this sub, but if it has a qts of .37 and a fs of 22 Hz I'd think a small, very low tuned box would be very nice. Then you could plug the port to try it sealed also.

Yes, it is true that a ported box can do very well I'm terms of sq. It is easier to mess up than a sealed box. I can't find much info on this sub, but if it has a qts of .37 and a fs of 22 Hz I'd think a small, very low tuned box would be very nice. Then you could plug the port to try it sealed also.
I'll check into that, but I'm thinking that a sealed box will be a much different size vs. ported, and I don't think it would work to experiment with installing and removing the plug.

Is this enough inforrmation on the woofer?

Why sealed? Not an insult. Just curious as to why people go sealed versus ported. Is it a SQ thing?
The most common argument I have heard is flat frequency response. Vented box can be very useful to achieve a flat frequency response outside of car. Inside of car, you get more SPL because of cabin gain, and vented can result in exaggerated lows. I can see myself getting a vented box subwoofer once I have an advanced processor with equalizer bands centered at say 20, 35, 50Hz, etc or fully parametric or if someone designed a ported box for best (flat) response inside of my car.. Actually, to tell the truth, most likely I will stop screwing around with the sub stage components altogether and leave it as is, a budget 12 inch in a sealed box.. too much trouble for something that plays in a 60Hz-wide band and ultimately will not work perfectly (from SQ perspective) in a car on 100% of music content no matter how much you screw with it (due to buzzes and rattles "coloring" sound, cabin gain, rear sub location, etc). I can see myself adding something like an advanced processor and TrueRTA setup to flatten up the frequency response or perhaps the MS-8 and let it tune the system.

I'll check into that, but I'm thinking that a sealed box will be a much different size vs. ported, and I don't think it would work to experiment with installing and removing the plug.
Is this enough inforrmation on the woofer?

No really, but I made it work. I would not build a box based on that. But I did model it. Stick with a sealed box. Ported looks good for a home setup, or if you don't have any cabin gain. Depending on the cabin gain you have in your car I would consider going with a 1 cf box.

edit: I need another cup of coffee. Stick with your plan, play with polyfil to fine tune it. Enjoy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.