What rms rated and peak power rated 6X9's can I use on my MTX Blue Thunder Pro 400x5

89Eldorado
10+ year member

Houston
i want to buy 2 pairs of 6x9's to push with my mtx blue thunder pro 400x5. What 6x9s can my amp push and can i also hook up a pair of polk audio db351 on this amp or should i hook em up to another amp if so how many watts on the amp, im not trying to burn none of my tweeters on my speakers as i usually do.

That's a nice old school amp. Back in the 90s when that was made 25 watts per channel was plenty. You can run whatever 6x9s you want on this amp. It's not going to be enough power to match speaker RMS power handling numbers, but you might be surprised.

Where do you plan to put 2 pairs of 6x9s and a pair of 3.5" coaxials? If you can't fit 6x9s up front I would do 1 pair of 6x9s and the 3.5" Polks on the front channels of the amp.

but will i make my speakers clipp and burn my tweeters? i dont want to damage my speakers...well im putting 1 pair of 6x9 on the doors 1 pair in the back, well thinks 2 pairs in the back and the 3.5 polk audio under my gear shift here is a pik not my car but the same interior
9h6nfm.jpg
[/img]

but will i make my speakers clipp and burn my tweeters? i dont want to damage my speakers...well im putting 1 pair of 6x9 on the doors 1 pair in the back, well thinks 2 pairs in the back and the 3.5 polk audio under my gear shift here is a pik not my car but the same interior

so if i keep my gain down i will keep my speakers from gettin damaged right? my bad for the repost...i have burned the tweeters on both of my pair of 6x9 right now i have the memphis coaxil with passive crossover and a pair of pioneer

would you recommend to overpower the speakers a bit with an amp that can push that much rms per channel? and would you recommend pioneers over kicker?

I personally put them on the same level, but maybe others have something to add on that one. I do advise you to stick to 2-ways only. Avoid 3, 4, 5, 9000-ways like the plague.

6x9s used to be incredibly popular. You could buy a pair of little sealed boxes and put an extra pair of 6x9s almost anywhere. Somehow along the way the market started seeing "supertweeters", which I believe might have been a Pioneer innovation. We ended up with monstrosities like 5-way 6x9s which have pods with a ridiculous total of 4 tweeters, each one smaller than the next. Manufacturers would put incredible power handling figures of 500+ Watts on these things.

Our hearing is most sensitive to treble, and there's no need to have more than one capable tweeter on a coaxial speaker. I used to run a 3-way or maybe 4-way 6x9 custom mounted in the rear of my first car, with 100W RMS on each one. That was a real ear-bleeding mistake.

Save your money and get one good pair of 2-way 6x9s. Stay away from WalMart's car audio department.

6x9s used to be incredibly popular. You could buy a pair of little sealed boxes and put an extra pair of 6x9s almost anywhere. Somehow along the way the market started seeing "supertweeters", which I believe might have been a Pioneer innovation. We ended up with monstrosities like 5-way 6x9s which have pods with a ridiculous total of 4 tweeters, each one smaller than the next. Manufacturers would put incredible power handling figures of 500+ Watts on these things.
Our hearing is most sensitive to treble, and there's no need to have more than one capable tweeter on a coaxial speaker. I used to run a 3-way or maybe 4-way 6x9 custom mounted in the rear of my first car, with 100W RMS on each one. That was a real ear-bleeding mistake.

Save your money and get one good pair of 2-way 6x9s. Stay away from WalMart's car audio department.
so you wouldn't recommend even 3way 6x9?...wouldn't they be heard from farther distances when im comin down the street?...i dont realy want to buy kickers tho im thinkin alpine or pioneer what do u think?

Our speaker has:

A 6x9" woofer

A 1" midrange

A 0.9" tweeter

A 0.8" super tweeter

A 0.7" super super tweeter

A 0.6" super super tweeter

WHY?

All it does is block the sound from the woofer for NO BENEFIT and tons of added complexity. You need your drivers to actually differ in size and purpose to have any benefit. Add all that crap and the crossover needed for proper sound gets SUPER complex, but the crossover provided is always a POS. You need your crossover to actually take advantage of each driver in the speaker. These do not.

They are sold by marketing departments, not engineering departments. They are marketed towards those who think more is better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.