What kind of steering wheel interface to use? PAC or Metra?

Captin Jack
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
USA
so im gonna put a new cd player in my 02 crown vic and i want to be able to use my buttons on my steering wheel still. i have read up on the pac swi-jack (since im useing a kenwood) and it seems simple, but i have also read that some people have problems with them not working all the time. so i looked into a diffrent option and i cam up with the Metra Axxess ASWC. dont know too much about it but am willing to give it a shot as long as it is a quality product.

so what is better the pac swi-jack or the Metra Axxess ASWC?

and how hard is one to install over the other? (plug and play?)

That's a fairly vehicle specific type thing so you may not get a whole lot of answers on here. Your best bet would be to search around for reviews on different sites that sell them.

Thanks for your help

I can't belive no one is running either one of these and can offer some input on the subject

I'm running a PAC SWI-JACK in my car and it works. Install was pretty simple (only 4 wires). There is a little bit of lag on it but it isn't a huge deal. Basically, I just have to push on the steering wheel controls a little bit harder than I did with the stock radio. Can't speak for the metra interface though. Overall, I'm satisfied that I got to keep my steering wheel controls.

Hi everyone !

I can offer like this steering wheel interface CIR-309U/CIR-310U (HVI-Electronics company )

Functionality:

Steering wheel interface CIR-309U is the interface between the resistive matrix of car wheel buttons and commands to be performed by an external device under their control. In addition, the device has a digital input data, due to which commands can be transferred from any other compatible device, for example, the controller CAN bus.

Advantages:

• Suitable for resistive matrix of any type;

• Auto-tuning of the input circuits in accordance with type of resistive matrix;

• Two independent inputs for connecting left and right groups of buttons;

• Input of digital control makes controller usage universal;

• Memory (with remote), with subsequent presentation, up to 32 commands;

• 8 independent outputs, 2 of which provide additional functions;

• Integrated current source provides a connection of diode emitters without need of additional resistors installation;

• Possibility of programming commands of resistive control panels such as joystick for such brands as Sony and Pioneer;

• Convenient parameter setting by computer;

• Programming the carrier frequency for each of the infrared outputs. This provides maximum signal / noise ratio, that ensures maximum quality of multimedia device control;

• Ability to memorize the entire configuration and infrared codes separately, in any medium, for example, in hard disk;

• Absolute inertness to erroneous wiring of the voltage or power to any of the inputs;

• Low power consumption;

• Small size 64 x 49 x18mm. (2.48 x 1.89 x 0.69inches).

Using the CIR-309U “multihelm” can be arranged, i.e. using the buttons on the helm you are able to control radio, DVD, TV, amplifier, speaker unit, siren etc.

vitalium, just a heads up but if you are employed by HVI-Electronics the way of the future in steering wheel controls is auto-programming. Installers don't have time to sit down at a computer and manually program an interface.

I would recommend the Axxess ASWC. Check the web site for compatibility before purchasing. Axxess Interface

Hi trumpet !

thanks for replay !

Yeap, you right, in standart instalation Axxess ASWC is better invention . But if need change steering whell to other (for example multy steering wheel) , or to control not one multimedia device, or need turn on\off for example head light, or car horn and other devices like you want using wheel push buttons . For these task solutions possible use SWI CIR-310. It has programming outputs which allow make output like trigger , pulse (with delay), resistanse output. Also it has function with control voltage . This function can make a signal which say that voltage on car is low.

Hi trumpet ! thanks for replay !

Yeap, you right, in standart instalation Axxess ASWC is better invention . But if need change steering whell to other (for example multy steering wheel) , or to control not one multimedia device, or need turn on\off for example head light, or car horn and other devices like you want using wheel push buttons . For these task solutions possible use SWI CIR-310. It has programming outputs which allow make output like trigger , pulse (with delay), resistanse output. Also it has function with control voltage . This function can make a signal which say that voltage on car is low.
bro... stop trying to hawk your companys ish on here... wont go over very well.

to the OP... i've installed both metra and PAC's... currently running a PAC in the wife's car (just cuz metra didnt make one for her car at the time)... i much prefer the metra...

Ok I am sorry for trash that i wrote.

Yes i have a relationship with this company, but i am also installer. We install in Odessa (Ukraine) different multimedia equipment, generally gps navi systems, tv-tuners, dvds and so on. I like that this forum is live.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.