What is the problem with my system?

KMS_RB_34
10+ year member

Ive got 2 12" Solo Baric L7's running off of a 1200.1 kicker kx amp.

Ive got a ported subzone box

1.93 cubic feet per chamber.

Box tuning - 37 Hz

Ive fried a voice coil 2 different times. How can this be? Im not overpowering them at all and they have alot of air because I keep the midgate down on my Avalanche.

Anybody know the problem?

uner the tunig frequency of the box the motin\on of the cone is uncontrolled. The solos are decent subs, THe amp is spectacular. IF your boost is huge like over 12 then that could be the culprit when pushed hard in a proted box with the sub sonic filter set worng. try raising the filter setting turing down the gain , and turning down the boost. Boost is usally cranked for the effect but the effect will happen without tons of it I promise!

Its not the alternator, I have a battery just for my system.

As for the Amp, the gain is not to high, the people who installed it checked it with some kind of meter and as for the bass boost, I guess I can turn it down but why cant I leave it up? Im not overpowering my subs are anything. It seems like I could have it all the way up?

Originally posted by KMS_RB_34 Its not the alternator, I have a battery just for my system.

As for the Amp, the gain is not to high, the people who installed it checked it with some kind of meter and as for the bass boost, I guess I can turn it down but why cant I leave it up? Im not overpowering my subs are anything. It seems like I could have it all the way up?
Turning the bass boost too high could clip the signal. That could fry your sub. But also not having a sub sonic filter on there, or having it set too low could also cause a problem if the music goes below tuning.

First off.....the box is too small for those subs.

I'd bet if you put just one of those L7's in a 4 cubic foot box, it'd out SPL and out SQ your current setup.......and you wouldn't need as much power to do it.

As for your frying your VC's, that's nothing to do with the setup. it's user error. 9 times out of 10 when the VC's fry it's because you're clipping the amp....in your case it seems to be the bass boost that's sending it into clipping. trust me....unless you're experienced in sound systems, you'll probably never hear clipping, but it's there. back off the bass boost and your subs will live a lot longer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by KMS_RB_34 as for the bass boost, I guess I can turn it down but why cant I leave it up? Im not overpowering my subs are anything. It seems like I could have it all the way up?
Because the bass boost really doesn't do anything....it only makes it louder at a specific frequency, and in your case it seems to be creating clipping....turn the bass boost completely off and see what happens.

Also, what is your SSF set at?

Excactly, i made the mistake of tuning some audiobahns to 37 hz when i tested them i had to turn my sub sonic filter up to around 32hz cuz the amp was clipping when i hit 32-hz. If you have them ported then don't use any bass boost... If in a ported box ,if built right, you shouldn't have to use bass boost. Clipping is your worst enemy and is the quickest way to burn up a sub. To make sure that i don't clip i just went out and bought a Audiobahn 18001DT and it has a clipping meter on it. If i see a hint of clipping it's time to turn the amp down a bit. And as for overpowering you don't adjust your amp to the amount of power you adjust it to sound. Each of my audiobahns are 900w rms a piece but if i put 900w to each of them i would fry that voice coil before i could say anything. A good rule of thumb is to adjust your amp up until you hear ANY distortion and when you hear the distortion turn it down just a tad for safety. If you don't know what distortion sounds like go to just about any car audio specialty store and ask for a demonstation on distortion, some will let you know what to listen out for.

Originally posted by bigred78797 i just went out and bought a Audiobahn 18001DT and it has a clipping meter on it. If i see a hint of clipping it's time to turn the amp down a bit.
That's a neat feature....

But I bet it doesn't work as well as you think //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.