What is louder? More cone area, more power, or more drivers?

thats not one of the orientations that i suggested.. I never suggested that lmao thats all you. Try the ones i suggested. Should make a difference.
You said sub facing rear, port to side. Port as close to driver side as possible. That's what I did.

My bad meant passenger side. No idea why i typed driver.nothing driver will be viable lol
Oooooh ok. Why do you say nothing driver side is viable? If you mean physically possible, it is possible I just had to rotate my box so that the ports were on the other side lol. If you just mean it wouldn't be as loud as the passenger side id like to know why.

Oooooh ok. Why do you say nothing driver side is viable? If you mean physically possible, it is possible I just had to rotate my box so that the ports were on the other side lol. If you just mean it wouldn't be as loud as the passenger side id like to know why.
Sound waves need to bounce or reflect off a solid wall to start developing a proper wave. Too far away from the wall will cause the waves to cancel out. Tge further the wave develops the deeper and more full it sounds. This is why when people meter, they have the port firing on the extreme opposite of where the mic is placed. This is why people do driver side port in walls when they want to do numbers.

In your case, your head is the mic so rear or corner firing ported close to the passenger side as possible is what you aim for.

Plenty of center ports getting loud....trunks and walls. I prefer subs firing forward for trunk setups, have yet to see a LOUD rear firing set up.

subs forward/driver's side port is proven to work well in Cavaliers and similar vehicles. Not sure what OP has though....

Yeah I know it does lol. That's the reason i made this thread. I'm considering selling my SA-12 and the little prefab box the guy sold it to me in for $200, and buy a SA-18. It would be cheaper than buying another SA-12, and then buying a bigger amp to give them proper power.
put that SA12 in a good/tuned box and THEN make a decision!!! JS

a good box is key.....

Sound waves need to bounce or reflect off a solid wall to start developing a proper wave. Too far away from the wall will cause the waves to cancel out. Tge further the wave develops the deeper and more full it sounds. This is why when people meter, they have the port firing on the extreme opposite of where the mic is placed. This is why people do driver side port in walls when they want to do numbers.
In your case, your head is the mic so rear or corner firing ported close to the passenger side as possible is what you aim for.
Ahhhh ok! So does that mean that the farther away you can get the port and sub from your ear, the better it could be? I will take the into consideration for my next box build and I will research cancellation and stuff.

with the exception of walls.
Ok. I mean with more than 1 sub you kind of don't have much of a choice where you put the subs at. Only thing you can really control is the port. So I guess when I do 2 SA-12s, I should do subs back and port to passenger side.

A good quick way to estimate is as follows, higher is better. This is not 100% accurate, but is a better method than any other I've seen to date. This doesn't take into consideration anything but raw efficiency. You also have to consider power compression, linear excursion, etc.
[(BL^2/RE)/MMS]*SD*Number of Subs

To break it down:

(BL^2/RE) = motor force "factor". Motor force without resistance factored in. You can grab these specs from the TS of the sub.

MMS = moving mass. Less moving mass, given the same motor force, means a more efficient sub

SD = piston area of a sub, this is a tad more accurate than just using cone area. Multiply this by number of subs to get total piston area
you have to factor in mechanical resistance at the very least. its nearly impossible because you are missing key elements something as the Final Q of the alignment which is MUCH more important than 1w1m. For SPL you want a HUGE peak and typically you want that peak to occur around the resonance of the box and being able to use the largest port you can.

to clarify a driver with 96db@1meter may be louder than a woofer rated 94DB 1w1m at 78 hz with 15kw before they smoke while said drivers with 94DB is louder @ 71HZ but can handle 22Kw.

Im not picking i do like that info and it is accurate but they have far to many factors.

for example you run into acoustical and mechanical resistance/inductance problems when you use to large a box/port etc etc.

not knocking the try but that is ****** info.

Actual SD or effective cone area with the fat surrounds typical SD is closer to 52in^2 and the 15 " 96in^2 while the 18 is closer to 154in^2..

I don't use the 1/2 surround. that's based off of the CONES surface area

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.