What is louder? More cone area, more power, or more drivers?

Sealed??
Port that sa12. Should stomp all over that Kicker sub.
Oh I forgot to say it is ported. It's 2 cubes tuned to 35hz. I have the SA-12 on a pioneer 1200 watt amp right now wired at 2 ohms (it's a D4 sub). Still ain't loud enough.

So what do y'all think would be louder 2 SA-12s or 1 SA-18? Considering they are both in max recommended boxes tuned to 35hz. Both on max rated power. Doing one SA-18 would be easier and cheaper because it needs half the power of 2 SA-12s.

So what do y'all think would be louder 2 SA-12s or 1 SA-18? Considering they are both in max recommended boxes tuned to 35hz. Both on max rated power. Doing one SA-18 would be easier and cheaper because it needs half the power of 2 SA-12s.
What vehicle and box type?

What vehicle and box type?
Just a simple aero ported box tuned to 35hz. The SA-18 needs a 4 cubic foot box and two SA-12s need a 4 cube box. But if I did two 12s I'd need a total of 1500 watts instead of just 600

bro i just saw your box design. Its FAAR from optimal side ported with what looks like two 3 inch ports. You'll want to have ports firing to the rear or at least move the box closer to the side wall so it can load properly and not have phase issues. The SA 12 is far underpowered as well. You arent gonna fit an 18 in that trunk either. Best you can do is a single 15 D2 wired down to 1 ohm on that pioneer, make sure the box is not side fire this time and dont skimp on port area of if you do, make it flare out.

Your current side port, the ports are too close to the vehicle cabin. They need to be as close to the rear trunk corner as possible or else you run into cancellation.

Yeah it is 2 3" aero ports. That's 14 sq inch of port area so that's 7 per cube. I thought that would be good enough for aero ports? I think I even PM'd you about it and you told me 2 3" ports lol (maybe).
And the reason I have the ports firing to the passenger side is because I thought if I put them facing the driver side they would be too close to the wall and be choked out. And I thought if I put the port facing back then it'd be too close to the hatch.

And yes I know it's under powered.

And my max measurements are 22" tall, 33" wide, and 14" deep. After .75 MDF that's like 4.59 cubes. I can do one sa 18 or 2 sa 12s. My current plan is to do 2 SA-12s, subs up port up. But if you think the port would be ok facing back then I could do that too.

Yeah it is 2 3" aero ports. That's 14 sq inch of port area so that's 7 per cube. I thought that would be good enough for aero ports? I think I even PM'd you about it and you told me 2 3" ports lol (maybe).
And the reason I have the ports firing to the passenger side is because I thought if I put them facing the driver side they would be too close to the wall and be choked out. And I thought if I put the port facing back then it'd be too close to the hatch.

And yes I know it's under powered.

And my max measurements are 22" tall, 33" wide, and 14" deep. After .75 MDF that's like 4.59 cubes. I can do one sa 18 or 2 sa 12s. My current plan is to do 2 SA-12s, subs up port up. But if you think the port would be ok facing back then I could do that too.
no there's no choking out when its too close to a wall, its rather more optimal since you are eliminating chances of cancellation. only when the port is completely blocked is when you choke it out. I remember specifically saying that thats okay for the CVR if you FLARE it. an SA 12 has much more displacement aka xmax and motorforce. You cant expect it to work in a box meant for a cvr with low Xmax and low motorforce.

4.59 cubes is NOT enough for an 18 after port displacement you barely have anything. two 12s or a single 15 is all you can do. I'd go with two 12s center slot since thats the only way you can have the port fire to the rear.

port placement is VERY important, it can screw up everything real fast.

no there's no choking out when its too close to a wall, its rather more optimal since you are eliminating chances of cancellation. only when the port is completely blocked is when you choke it out. I remember specifically saying that thats okay for the CVR if you FLARE it. an SA 12 has much more displacement aka xmax and motorforce. You cant expect it to work in a box meant for a cvr with low Xmax and low motorforce.
4.59 cubes is NOT enough for an 18 after port displacement you barely have anything. two 12s or a single 15 is all you can do. I'd go with two 12s center slot since thats the only way you can have the port fire to the rear.

port placement is VERY important, it can screw up everything real fast.
Oh ok. I didn't know that. I would put the ports facing the driver side then if I knew it would be ok. Is it that big of difference if you flare the port? I will do that next time if it really matters. And I didn't build this box for the SA-12, I kind of just fell into a good deal and bought the sa-12 after I built the box for the CVR and it just happened to fit.

Oh ok. I didn't know that. I would put the ports facing the driver side then if I knew it would be ok. Is it that big of difference if you flare the port? I will do that next time if it really matters. And I didn't build this box for the SA-12, I kind of just fell into a good deal and bought the sa-12 after I built the box for the CVR and it just happened to fit.
The flare is pretty much when you are under 9 port per cube. move your amp and have the box close to the passenger side, there's 3 positions i want you to try out with the box close to the passenger side as possible.

sub face rear, port to the side. port close to the driver side as possible

enclosure angled so the port is firing straight into the corner of the passenger side trunk

sub face driver side, port face the rear of the trunk.

sub face up, port to the rear.

These are all free ways you can achieve a little bit more output and low end out of your current setup.

One thing to remember is with 2 12's you have options on orientation

One 18 can only fit a couple different ways and none are optimal

Also it's not like you need 600w to each sub to get them loud

They will still be loud on 600w with a proper box and allow for upgrades in the future

The flare is pretty much when you are under 9 port per cube. move your amp and have the box close to the passenger side, there's 3 positions i want you to try out with the box close to the passenger side as possible.
sub face rear, port to the side. port close to the driver side as possible

enclosure angled so the port is firing straight into the corner of the passenger side trunk

sub face driver side, port face the rear of the trunk.

sub face up, port to the rear.

These are all free ways you can achieve a little bit more output and low end out of your current setup.
Oh thank you man I appreciate your input! I just rotated my box to where the ports were facing the driver side and it made a negligible difference. It might be louder it might be quieter lol. Can't really tell.

Oh thank you man I appreciate your input! I just rotated my box to where the ports were facing the driver side and it made a negligible difference. It might be louder it might be quieter lol. Can't really tell.
thats not one of the orientations that i suggested.. I never suggested that lmao thats all you. Try the ones i suggested. Should make a difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.