What is it with Old School Amplifiers?

Love it or hate it, old school stuff is gone. It's still out there, but it's all used, old and got leaky caps and things...
Disagree...Still run 2 RF Punch 150's (3rd gen from 89, just before HD's) & have been faithfully from then till now. Still in the same excellent condition & power output as back in the day. Granted...I have taken care of them, under the seats & car is garage kept //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I had a us amps 2000 and that thing kicked ass. It was the green board, and built here in the USA. I bet that amp is built better than most of the crap being made right now.
i did also but mine was the 2000x

DSC00120.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

Someone mentioned Exile. I predict they will catch on. I've heard their demo car. Pretty decent stuff at a decent price too.
Old School Phoenix Gold techs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

pretty much anybody that was into car audio back in the 80's and early 90's like oldschool amps...not necessarily because they think they are better,but because it brings back memories.

the reason why people say the oldschool amps are so powerful is mainly because when we FIRST experienced hearing one of them in action way back when,bass was new and becoming a fad and not everybody and thier mamma had it in their cars yet.so its mainly the memories for most of us OLD guys!

you young guys missed all the fun and will never understand...LOL!!

pretty much anybody that was into car audio back in the 80's and early 90's like oldschool amps...not necessarily because they think they are better,but because it brings back memories.the reason why people say the oldschool amps are so powerful is mainly because when we FIRST experienced hearing one of them in action way back when,bass was new and becoming a fad and not everybody and thier mamma had it in their cars yet.so its mainly the memories for most of us OLD guys!

Indeed.

pretty much anybody that was into car audio back in the 80's and early 90's like oldschool amps...not necessarily because they think they are better,but because it brings back memories.the reason why people say the oldschool amps are so powerful is mainly because when we FIRST experienced hearing one of them in action way back when,bass was new and becoming a fad and not everybody and thier mamma had it in their cars yet.so its mainly the memories for most of us OLD guys!

thats how i feel too, old memories stay with us lol

Old school lives over here.

Haven't had ANY of my US Amps fail. I have 8 now, but used to own 14. My current USA 2000's and USA 4300X's are still running hard and strong since day 1.

I love all of them.

I've been kicking old school trash out of my house like free loading relatives!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif Honestly, I did keep some old school around, the ones that actually work like my memory of them. Something like these:

OldSchoolOrion.jpg

If I ever go around preaching old school again, I want someone to drive over to my house and punch me in the face!

LOL. It's not that bad.... It's just not any better, maybe in some cases. Certain newer model amps come to mind that make me want to PUKE when I hear the way they sound or look inside of them.... But not most of the more expensive ones, they aren't bad.

LOL. It's not that bad.... It's just not any better, maybe in some cases.
I spent TWO years collecting those POS Linear Power amplifiers and was totally underwhelmed when I finally installed them.

This was my experience:

652I - wouldn't even produce rated power. It was supposed to produce 32.5 watts per channel and it struggled to make 20 watts per channel into a Dale pure resistive 4 ohm load connected to each channel with a 50 Hz test tone. I tried using it as a tweeter amp, but it had a horrific turn on/off pop that made me scared to use it.

Linear Power 1502IQ x 3 - Neat little amps, too bad they ALL had strange oscillating noises in the quiet passages and would start to cut out just prior to reaching their clipping point.

TIPS modified 1502IQ - Biggest waste of money getting this amplifier modified. The amplifier needed repair, even though I purchased it as working, so I figured I would get it modified while in for repair. What a huge disappointment once I realized psychoacoustics were kicking in to justify my wallet being $200 lighter for the repair and modification. $200 bought me a replaced gain pot and a replaced speaker relay for the repair. The "modification" was four new power rail capacitors, a rewound transformer, and new RCA input filter caps. The amplifier still exhibited noise after receipt and was one step away from meeting an AR-15 and some tannerite.

TIPS modified LP150 - powerful little bugger, when it wasn't busy going into protect. It couldn't produce a 50 Hz test tone for more than 30 seconds when I was trying to determine its maximum power output on the bench. I had to repeat the test 5x in order to get a power reading. Granted, it did do about 360 watts RMS @ 8 ohms bridged, BUT, I could drive it into shutdown by playing certain Drum and Bass tracks any time I wanted to. When the Ell Pee nuthuggers told me that DnB wasn't music, I about came unglued and turned anti-Linear Power.

Tips Modified LP1752 - powerful amp but again would go into protect at the slightest bit of stress. At least it would come back without requiring a power cycle, unlike the LP150.

Linear Power 5002 - Great amplifier, actually produced rated power, but was a current hog. I measured peak current draw in the 85 to 90 amp range while producing 500 watts with a Fluke ammeter. Can you say, horribly inefficient? At least it didn't shut down even though it did require a 55 amp power supply used in conjunction with a huge ass deep cycle marine battery to perform testing!

So I will repeat, if anyone ever sees me preaching to use the aforementioned pieces o sheet... Someone please drive over to my house and punch me in the face!

There was a silver lining in this dark cloud because I didn't lose ANY money by selling all those Linear Power amplifiers. Not bad considering that I had some of them for almost two years and was still able to get what I paid for them, if not more! Try that with most modern day electronic devices when people will only offer you 50% of what you paid for them just because they are used.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.