What is it with Old School Amplifiers?

I own both, have worked on both. Only real differences I see in new vs old is that in the old gear, you get a sense, just looking at it, well, some of it, not all of it, that someone poured their heart and soul into building the best product possible at the time. You really don't get that impression from the new stuff, it's all manufactured, cookie cutter, and not designed or built to last forever.

That being said, I do know the new stuff is far more capable power-wise than the old, better parts (mosfets back in the 80's were 10 amps each max, today they make them in the same physical size but all the way up to 290 amps each), bigger parts, and Class D has helped make that possible. As for the sound quality of old vs new? I think it really has a lot more to do with average modern class D sound vs old Class AB sound, I can tell the difference there, but the difference between an old Class AB and a new Class AB? They sound the same to me. Though I am admittedly not one with a good ear for SQ. I believe it has far more to do with the drivers being used rather than the amplifier, when going for best possible SQ.

Love it or hate it, old school stuff is gone. It's still out there, but it's all used, and old, and got leaky caps and things.... Kinda like buying an old car. Yeah, it's fun, it looks different, it goes different (more torque than most new average run of the mill daily cars?) but in the end it has the same function, just a different "feel and look".

Old school amps didnt have all the crossovers/processing built in them that doesnt do much to improve the sound.

Better quality control from hand building them too.

The old amps were not hand built. Wave soldered just like the new ones. The Transformers and other LARGE HEAVY parts that don't wave solder well were hand-soldered. Wave soldering has improved since back then too...

I agree having all the crossovers on the amps is not necessarily the best route to go because you have to question the quality of the builtin crossovers of these newer amps compared to using say an Audiocontrol seperate crossover box with 100 knobs on it back in the day, but the good thing is, on most of the newer full range amps you can disable the builtin crossovers at the flick of a switch and still use your antique Audiocontrol crossover box with 100 freaking knobs on it! LOL. Gotta love those old crossovers, I have a few here...

Sorry, no matter what I still dont like the cheap tin Chinese crap being made now.

A 100w per channel old school amp is noticeably heavier than a 1000w per channel amp made overseas.

They feel cheap.

Someone tell me a better amp made now that would sound better then the old PPI art series amps! There are better ones out there but you will pay a mint for them

Heavy alluminum is cheaper than lighweight alluminum and does not dissipate heat as well... Just accept the fact that it comes down to personal opinion, and nothing more. Old vs new doesn't matter. Does the same thing, unless you are just a nostalgic person, then it does something extra for you that has nothing to do with it's function. Like the old-car vs new-car...

Someone tell me a better amp made now that would sound better then the old PPI art series amps! There are better ones out there but you will pay a mint for them
I had a customer who had quite the opposite experience.... paid someone a ridiculous amount of money for a bunch of old PPI amps, did a whole brand new install with it, and hated it. He sold it all and went with modern RF gear. He complained about how "weak" the bass was. LOL... An art series amp does sound great, but doesn't sound any better to me than a newer model Class AB amp of decent quality.

I had a customer who had quite the opposite experience.... paid someone a ridiculous amount of money for a bunch of old PPI amps, did a whole brand new install with it, and hated it. He sold it all and went with modern RF gear. He complained about how "weak" the bass was. LOL... An art series amp does sound great, but doesn't sound any better to me than a newer model Class AB amp of decent quality.

OH... What do you know....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I had an old school Crossfire amp (all I rememebr is it was white with yellow squares by the "crossfire" I seem to remember some purple there too) that was rated at like 200W rms and it benched just over 600W rms at an even 13V.

now todays amps... I had an MD Sound 2629M amp a few years back that was rated at like 1800 rms @ 1ohm and put out like 500~ rms at 1ohm on almost 15V. Granted those are CHEAP ass amps! it was about hte same size as my XX Zeus but honestly I think it had less internals than my Orion 3002. There are enough room inside the amp to hide atleast a couple pounds of weed...

LOL... actualy just found some gut shots I took:

md2629m.jpg

md2629m1.jpg

md2629m2.jpg

I had an old school Crossfire amp (all I rememebr is it was white with yellow squares by the "crossfire" I seem to remember some purple there too) that was rated at like 200W rms and it benched just over 600W rms at an even 13V.
now todays amps... I had an MD Sound 2629M amp a few years back that was rated at like 1800 rms @ 1ohm and put out like 500~ rms at 1ohm on almost 15V. Granted those are CHEAP ass amps! it was about hte same size as my XX Zeus but honestly I think it had less internals than my Orion 3002. There are enough room inside the amp to hide atleast a couple pounds of weed...
I benched a Sundown SAX-100.2 at 748 watts bridged.

Heavy alluminum is cheaper than lighweight alluminum and does not dissipate heat as well... Just accept the fact that it comes down to personal opinion, and nothing more. Old vs new doesn't matter. Does the same thing, unless you are just a nostalgic person, then it does something extra for you that has nothing to do with it's function. Like the old-car vs new-car...

If it "doesnt matter" the remaining highend amp companies would have gone under a long time ago.

People dont get excited over the latest Hifonics, but they lust after an Audison Thesis.

Linear Power tried to migrate to a "modern" design similar to all the rest and bought the farm.

Arc Audio still sells well, and the only difference between their current line up and Robert Zeff's older Zapco designs is the power supply, in fact he still insists on using the same old Toshiba FETS he was familiar with at Zapco.

Sorry, but the thin tin cheap crap holds no interest for me.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.