What is it with Old School Amplifiers?

Sorry, but the thin tin cheap crap holds no interest for me.
Then you gots da money brotha! Big dollars for those Zapco's and Zefs...

I personally don't get impressed at the inside of an Audison vs a Boss Chaos series, though they are not that similar, but not altogether completely different either, but that's just me. Hey, if it sounds good use it, if not get something else till you find something you like. It's all opinion. If I ever built amps they wouldn't be nothing like the chinese crap either... I hate that china stuff.... at least the cheap stuff anyway... wait, that's all of it as far as I know of...

md2629m.jpg

md2629m1.jpg

md2629m2.jpg

Looks like same buildhouse as ROCKWOOD. OMG. I want it!

you all need to grow up,i've been into this stuff every since i was 15-16, i'm 36 now (old man ) Old school amps blew up just like today's amps do, the difference is you're just out more money with the old school amps, those amps back in my day cost an arm and leg, punch 150 was like $550, Technology is a bitsh, look at the car shows of today , It's like underrated amps, to me that don't mean nothing, a watt is a watt no matter how much u pay for it ( 220 per watt or 60 per watt) they did that just to justify the high ass price. 15 yrs ago it took 12-24 15" woofers to do what 2 subs can to today. don't get me wrong i love the old school amps, heard alot of them, had alot of them, back then, we didn't have the choices you have now and of course class D. i have a ppi art series ap1200 and the 404, ( now you know how much that cost back then,) and i also have an soundstream picaso class a (the chrome one) punch 45 and a 100 dms all blown, so it's all n the eye of the beholder. thats why i shake my head every time is see oldschool and newschool, i love all school
the biggest differance is the woofers not the amps. woofers today are much bigger and better than 15 years ago or so. back then 800rms was a monster sub and were designed more towards sq also.

it doesn't get much better than a Rockwood on a pair of Funkypups...unless maybe a Kenford on a pair //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
No Rockwood rules all!

I have one of the old big long RED Rockwood amps around here somewhere.... LOL. A pair of funky pups and that thing were made for each other.

WOAH! if you look at that rockwood pic, taken in 2005, so been a while... LOL. Look inside... Looks like there is a little sack of weed in between where the pre-amp board and the main board has that gap and you can see the black part of the heatsink.... How funny....

Speaker technology has really advanced
In more ways than with audio amps.

There are some 50-year old speaker designs that still more than hold their own, though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I own both, have worked on both. Only real differences I see in new vs old is that in the old gear, you get a sense, just looking at it, well, some of it, not all of it, that someone poured their heart and soul into building the best product possible at the time. You really don't get that impression from the new stuff, it's all manufactured, cookie cutter, and not designed or built to last forever.

That says it all from DB-R himself, thats what I would rather use. I think that is why some of the high end gear is so sought after, it STILL works perfectly like it did from day one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.