What happened to the SKAR subs?

Regardless of how well something is built/tested it will never be able to do "everything" in one package. If there was, we would have no choices in product.
I know that -- I am simply asking him what drivers he thinks are better and why (objectively). I am always testing various products as well to make sure mine are competitive. I am not stating the SA is the best speaker ever as I think anything can be improved. It's a serious question at face value.

Never tried a skar, but I feel confident in saying that the SA will handle 1200 in unclipped power daily so long as you dont beat on it to far outside of tuning

For $175 you won't find a much batter sub woofer than the Skar...For $250 brand new with warranty you definitely won't find a better sounding, more reliable, more underrated sub than an SA-15.

That's not "forum boner" or "nut hugging" I respect the hell out of what Jacob does and I know he doesn't just pick some Chinese garbage out of a catalog and stick some Sundown stickers on it...Sundown is as legit as they come, and with his attention to detail, and his drive to develop new things, Sundown will one day be the Rockford Fosgate, or Pioneer, or any of the other big players we all love to hate.

In closing...The SA- series of subs is amazing in every aspect...You want to spend $500 a sub? Oh they're out there too...

Some do, but many take it very literally and think they can put that much power on a 2.5" coil.
You can...You can put huge power to the SA- subs intermittently on Music...Of course tones and burps are just DIFFERENT..No big difference there from any sub. My Massive Audio DMX15-Stage2 shows 1,500 in the owners manual on music when it can take 20 seconds of 5k CLEAN without getting warm..Ok subs can be drastically underrated...They underrate them @ 600 watts because at 600 watts you can beat on them for years and nothing will happen, at 1500 watts their life span drops exponentially, we know this and we're prepared...If you see 600 watts on a speaker and put 1500 to it you'd better know what you're doing, and for how long you plan on doing it.

What sub will do better then the skars?...I'm 2 days out of piking up a pair....
For that price; nothing dude, get a 2kw amp and go nuts on those boys..But break them in on rated for a couple weeks, of course.

/e the only sub I know of that would take the ~$175 price point better than the skar would be the Pioneer TS-W3002D Series...

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-W3002D2-Champion-Subwoofer-Watts/dp/B001P6ZHLK/ref=sr_1_11?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1300301623&sr=1-11

Sensitivity on these : 90dB Pioneer > 83dB skar only meaning the Pioneer can not only handle more power (much more) but will get much louder off of less power than the Skar.

Then there is the L5s and W3s which I think the Skar beats out personally.

You can...You can put huge power to the SA- subs intermittently on Music...Of course tones and burps are just DIFFERENT..No big difference there from any sub. My Massive Audio DMX15-Stage2 shows 1,500 in the owners manual on music when it can take 20 seconds of 5k CLEAN without getting warm..Ok subs can be drastically underrated...They underrate them @ 600 watts because at 600 watts you can beat on them for years and nothing will happen, at 1500 watts their life span drops exponentially, we know this and we're prepared...If you see 600 watts on a speaker and put 1500 to it you'd better know what you're doing, and for how long you plan on doing it.
I think I have an idea about "under ratting" sub woofer wattage. The issue is people who are inexperienced think that you can safely run WAY over the specified ratted power for the sub woofer. So what happens is they run out and get some cheap crap amp that says it will do 1500watts (because so much of car audio now has turned into a pissing contest) and then they clip the crap out of the signal. Hence the purpose to rate the sub woofer under it's actual thermal ratting in the first place. So like I said, many take it very literally and think they can put that much power on a 2.5" coil.

I think I have an idea about "under ratting" sub woofer wattage.
True. lol

This is commonly mis-understood -- depends on the frequency... typically under 50 hz a lower sensitivity driver will out-perform a higher sensitivity driver by a large margin; especially in a small box (car audio):
Sensitivity Spec in Car Audio : Hoffmans Iron Law Discussion - SSA Car Audio Forum
Well without getting too scientific it is generally accepted that; the more sensitive a speaker is the louder said speaker will get ( in dBs ) under particular measurement conditions ( 1w/1m ) at a certain frequency or frequencies..A sub with a 1w/1m volume of 103db will get louder -- powered by 1 watt, listened to from 1 meter away -- than a sub with a 1w/1m volume of 83...

It is directly linear dude, a sub with a rating of 103 vs a sub rated @ 83 ( sure on a set freq ) will get much much louder on the same power..On whatever frequency.

I'm not a genius on the subject though, and I admit when I'm wrong but, my question is...What the hell makes a sub more sensitive than another lol..That's the big confusing point for a lot of people I know..

Why is that home audio sub rated @ 103db and priced @ $5k and the Amazon.com $50 sub is rated @ 83db? What is physically different on the $5k 103db sub that makes it so "sensitive"

Hell yea if I recall that amp will put out like 750-800w to each sub ( 1500-1700 total ) @ 1ohm
Should be insane..
indeed it should be...I'm sticking with the skars....kevin s also gave me a killer deal on a sub and bo combo...

For $175 you won't find a much batter sub woofer than the Skar...For $250 brand new with warranty you definitely won't find a better sounding, more reliable, more underrated sub than an SA-15.
That's not "forum boner" or "nut hugging" I respect the hell out of what Jacob does and I know he doesn't just pick some Chinese garbage out of a catalog and stick some Sundown stickers on it...Sundown is as legit as they come, and with his attention to detail, and his drive to develop new things, Sundown will one day be the Rockford Fosgate, or Pioneer, or any of the other big players we all love to hate.

In closing...The SA- series of subs is amazing in every aspect...You want to spend $500 a sub? Oh they're out there too...
Easy now , we can start the $150 SQ subwoofer showdown right now if you would like. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Easy now , we can start the $150 SQ subwoofer showdown right now if you would like. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
We should start a thread in a different area for that one lol..But seriously..Let's do it lol. I'm interested in what subs you think sound better / louder / etc. in and around the $200 price point.

Pm me a link to the thread if you make it I'll chime in.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.