What gauge wire will I need for my setup?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jjburton5

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a potted subwoofer enclosure with 2 12” 4 ohm impedance subs and a 600w amplifier from a local. However, I’m having some difficulty wrapping my head around what gauge wiring I should use for the amp, or if a 600w amp wiring kit will be adequate. They are currently wired in parallel (positive to positive and negative to negative in channel 1 for sub 1, positive to positive and negative to negative in channel 2 for sub 2.)

The subwoofers and enclosure I have is:

Q-Power QBP1206SLVR

https://m.kmart.com/q-power-q-power-12-inch-1400w-bandpass/p-SPM8203589702

The 600w amplifier I have is:

Dual Electronics XPA-4100

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XPA4100-Performance-Amplifier/dp/B0009SWT20

Thank you for your input and help,

-J

First, that equipment is bottom of the barrel. You'll have people bash on you but if it's all you want, that's fine just use that. If you don't find it being enough, come back and LISTEN to peoples advice when it comes to proper equipment.

More importantly to answer your actual question: buy a 4, 6, or 8 gauge OFC wiring kit and it will be more than enough for that amp. A big tip is to buy your connectors now, I can't see what the power input to that amp is but if it's spade connectors like most of those amps are, buy the space connectors for that wire size (and a larger crimper) when you buy the amplifier wiring kit. 

Hey Wew Lad,

I appreciate your response. While I would much prefer a MTX or Pioneer setup, I got the equipment for $100 (Canadian) which was ideal for my budget as I am a college student. I figure it will likely be a good way to begin and swap out subs and amps as my budget allows. Hopefully in the future I can find some equipment that is higher tier. For now, I’m just looking for something for experimenting and learning rather than quality.

Thankfully I have plenty of connectors and a crimping tool from previous electrical work. Thanks again for your second opinion, as this is my first time wiring in a subwoofer and amp, so your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-J

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jjburton5

CarAudio.com Newbie
jjburton5
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
jjburton5