what does this mean

oh and another amp question, i know the signal to noise ratio is the ratio of the signal to the floor noise or induced noise, but what exactly is the floor or induced noise? all the definitions of this term never clarify what the noise is. is it the amount of noise the amplifier makes itself?

You really live in Antarctica???

Anyway that number range you posted is the frequency response range for the amp. Since it ends at such a low frequency, I'm guessing that is a Class-D mono amp?

LOL nevermind... I found this information about Antarctica just now...
"There are no permanent human residents and Antarctica has never had an indigenous population. "
says he lives in antartica. not antarctica.lol. ficticious ice.

yea its a class d amp. can anyone explain it better?
The average range of human hearing goes from 20Hz on the low end and 20,000Hz on the high end. Of course there are exceptions but that's the range which is the accepted average human's audible frequency range.

Your amp produces output from 17Hz on the low end up to 250Hz on its high end (the reason that it was assumed you were talking about a Class D sub amp).

17Hz, obviously, is a bit lower than the accepted average and that's the lowest frequency at which your amp is specified to produce output.

250Hz, which is pretty solidly in the frequencies commonly termed "midrange" is the highest frequency at which your amp is specified to output sound.

Knowing that, as well as knowing that frequency range isn't anywhere near the accepted average hearing range, is what tells us that your amp is specifically designed for powering subwoofers.

The average range of human hearing goes from 20Hz on the low end and 20,000Hz on the high end. Of course there are exceptions but that's the range which is the accepted average human's audible frequency range.
Your amp produces output from 17Hz on the low end up to 250Hz on its high end (the reason that it was assumed you were talking about a Class D sub amp).

17Hz, obviously, is a bit lower than the accepted average and that's the lowest frequency at which your amp is specified to produce output.

250Hz, which is pretty solidly in the frequencies commonly termed "midrange" is the highest frequency at which your amp is specified to output sound.

Knowing that, as well as knowing that frequency range isn't anywhere near the accepted average hearing range, is what tells us that your amp is specifically designed for powering subwoofers.
so the amp its self is not able to produce output for anything higher than 250hz? how is that? i thought maybe it was referring to the low pass crossover built in the amp. so you mean if i hooked up a set of midbass to it, the amp wouldn't be able to output at all because its above 250hz?
oh yeah i live in virginia not antartica lol.

so the amp its self is not able to produce output for anything higher than 250hz? how is that?
Because it wasn't designed to reproduce any frequencies higher than that.

i thought maybe it was referring to the low pass crossover built in the amp. so you mean if i hooked up a set of midbass to it, the amp wouldn't be able to output at all because its above 250hz?
It will be able to output up to 250Hz, according to the specs you've given us, and isn't particularly suited for anything beyond that. Technically you could connect some mids to that amp but anything higher than the 250Hz cutoff would be lost and you'd be pretty upset with the results, I'd wager, since tweeters wouldn't pick up the slack until somewhere considerably higher than 250Hz.
oh yeah i live in virginia not antartica lol.
Okay. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Because it wasn't designed to reproduce any frequencies higher than that.It will be able to output up to 250Hz, according to the specs you've given us, and isn't particularly suited for anything beyond that. Technically you could connect some mids to that amp but anything higher than the 250Hz cutoff would be lost and you'd be pretty upset with the results, I'd wager, since tweeters wouldn't pick up the slack until somewhere considerably higher than 250Hz.

Okay. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
ok well i see what you saying, but i was getting this from a best buy product slip description. i just looked it up, the same amp says 20hz-20khz, so really this amp could reproduce all of the sound spectrum that we as humans are able to hear. btw this was the same class d amp.

Okay - let's try and make this a bit easier for us to help you to understand.What amp are we talking about, specifically? (brand and model # would be a great help here)
ok well i was just using this alpine MRP-M650 as an example. the one that does 600rms at 2ohm. im sorry but im just not getting it.

Using Crutchfield as a reference I found the frequency response for that amp listed as 20Hz to 200Hz.
It's a Class D monoblock designed for subwoofer usage and nothing more.

You wouldn't want that for midrange duty, for certain...
oh ok, well bestbuy ***** at life, they listed the wrong stats. i was thinking everything was wrong because they were saying you can bridge a mono amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif. i think i understand it now, different amps reproduce different parts of the sound spectrum. one more question, if class d are the main amps for subs, how come i see some people run 2 channel a/b amps for their subs? im guessing they have a crossover for low pass as well?

oh ok, well bestbuy ***** at life, they listed the wrong stats. i was thinking everything was wrong because they were saying you can bridge a mono amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif. i think i understand it now, different amps reproduce different parts of the sound spectrum. one more question, if class d are the main amps for subs, how come i see some people run 2 channel a/b amps for their subs? im guessing they have a crossover for low pass as well?
Class D amps are preferred for driving subwoofers because they are generally more efficient than Class A/B amps but at the sacrifice of lessened SQ. For bigger wattage demands most users prefer the lower current draw of the Class D units over the larger power input demands of Class A/B amps.

This isn't to say that Class A/B amps aren''t well-suited for sub usage but, like everything else, it has its drawbacks. Yes, your average Class A/B amp will have a low-pass crossover section in it in case the end user wants to implement it in that manner. Additionally more and more aftermarket headunits at most pricepoints except the most budget of units, have their own inbuilt crossovers which make having that low-pass crossover outboard somewhere (whether it be a function of the amp, an outboard processor/crossover of some kind, etc) unnecessary.

Some people prefer the overall sound of an A/B amp over a D....some have found really great deals that they couldn't reasonably pass on, etc etc. There are many varied reasons why someone would go with an A/B amp over a D for their subs.

It all boils down to what fits your needs/budget/preferences the best. Once those parameters have been established it's time to go spend some money!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.