What do you usually set your LPF to?

RSDXzec
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Australia
Just curious what others on here set their LPF to. I generally set mine to 80hz, and I recently found out my friend has his set to 180hz which sounded a little high imo. And looking on winisd most sub responses are usually decent until they even out at around 120hz.

Because I run 3 I set the lpf on the amp all the way up and then at 100 hertz on the maxxlink and 100 on the radio but those 3 equal out to about a 48 to 60 db slope depending on the amp.

Just to add to the discussion... set your LPF to 120hz and give it a listen. It won't be there long. Midbass sounds like *** from ****** subwoofers.
fixed. It's not hard to design a sub to play more than 1 octave with authority.. It just takes a well designed woofer built with SQ in mind and unfortunately that's not most car audio woofers. My last 2 subs can easily play 120hz, shoot I'll never own another sub that can't. My 15's could do it, they could do 1000hz with ease, my new 21 can do 500hz and it's got a 6 inch coil and 4kw of powerhandling.. Car audio companies really have no good excuse other than they are building budget woofers, but any 250 dollar unit should really have shorting rings in the motor if it's meant to be used for daily listening.

fixed. It's not hard to design a sub to play more than 1 octave with authority.. It just takes a well designed woofer built with SQ in mind and unfortunately that's not most car audio woofers. My last 2 subs can easily play 120hz, shoot I'll never own another sub that can't. My 15's could do it, they could do 1000hz with ease, my new 21 can do 500hz and it's got a 6 inch coil and 4kw of powerhandling.. Car audio companies really have no good excuse other than they are building budget woofers, but any 250 dollar unit should really have shorting rings in the motor if it's meant to be used for daily listening.
dafuq sub you gotz?

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Because I run 3 I set the lpf on the amp all the way up and then at 100 hertz on the maxxlink and 100 on the radio but those 3 equal out to about a 48 to 60 db slope depending on the amp.
this guy is a **** animal

I know what you're saying but I don't care if my sub can play over 60, I don't want it to. Unless the sub was right behind my head, it's so easy to tell that the midbass is coming from somewhere else that it ruins the music. Anyone even remotely into SQ knows that your sub shouldn't be playing that high as well, as it should be your door speakers that are taking care of that (most speakers are attenuated to go down to around 50hz and the sub picks it up from there).

On a seperate note I set mine to around 60hz. Because I always like to tune lower my box always starts to roll off there anyways

I know what you're saying but I don't care if my sub can play over 60, I don't want it to. Unless the sub was right behind my head, it's so easy to tell that the midbass is coming from somewhere else that it ruins the music. Anyone even remotely into SQ knows that your sub shouldn't be playing that high as well, as it should be your door speakers that are taking care of that (most speakers are attenuated to go down to around 50hz and the sub picks it up from there).
On a seperate note I set mine to around 60hz. Because I always like to tune lower my box always starts to roll off there anyways
The SQ thing really depends.. Most of the reason you can hear subs behind you is one of 2 things.. 1. if anything behind you rattles, you'll hear the rattling behind you, drawing your attention backwards.. SQ cars shouldn't rattle.. 2. sub distortion in the higher bass notes are easy to localize behind you as well, SQ subs shouldn't distort on higher bass notes.. Trust me, if the car is deadened and it's a true SQ sub back there, most smaller passenger cars dont localize until close to 200hz, even most SUV's can do 80-120hz no issues. If you play a 120hz tone in my eldorado, even with ONLY the subs playing it sounds like it's on the dash, freaked me out first time I heard it. lol. Anyways another advantage is you can let your smaller less capable front speakers use less excursion which GREATLY lowers their distortion and stops them from rattling the doors.

Really the sub can only play to 60hz thing is a myth.. I used to buy into it too until I had drivers that could do it and a car that didnt' rattle.. You get alot more ouput overall from letting your subs play higher, more midbass attack, less midrange distortion, just louder and cleaner music.

Also, here is my 21, should be a beast down to 30hz or so. http://www.bcspeakers.com/product.php?id=160

The SQ thing really depends.. Most of the reason you can hear subs behind you is one of 2 things.. 1. if anything behind you rattles, you'll hear the rattling behind you, drawing your attention backwards.. SQ cars shouldn't rattle.. 2. sub distortion in the higher bass notes are easy to localize behind you as well, SQ subs shouldn't distort on higher bass notes.. Trust me, if the car is deadened and it's a true SQ sub back there, most smaller passenger cars dont localize until close to 200hz, even most SUV's can do 80-120hz no issues. If you play a 120hz tone in my eldorado, even with ONLY the subs playing it sounds like it's on the dash, freaked me out first time I heard it. lol. Anyways another advantage is you can let your smaller less capable front speakers use less excursion which GREATLY lowers their distortion and stops them from rattling the doors.
Really the sub can only play to 60hz thing is a myth.. I used to buy into it too until I had drivers that could do it and a car that didnt' rattle.. You get alot more ouput overall from letting your subs play higher, more midbass attack, less midrange distortion, just louder and cleaner music.

Also, here is my 21, should be a beast down to 30hz or so. B&C SPEAKERS
I'm not saying it is a myth, but from my perspective a sub shouldn't be playing that high. And I can guarantee you it wasn't rattling I was hearing, it was definitely just straight up mid bass. Anything over like 60hz starts to become directional which is why your front speakers should play it imo. If a speaker is playing frequencies that are directional it should be close to you and at the front of the car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.