What do you use to clean your car?

i'm from dallas //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
but here in indy, there is no such thing as street cleaning (i'm literally 1 mile away from rural indiana), so i keep meguiars gold class, eagle one spray and wipe and griots speed shine in my trunk for whenever i get out of the car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

i have a sickness //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Same here:crying:

meh

http://poorboysworld.com/natty-blue.htm > gold class

it is literally just as they say, apply and wipe off. same with the sealant. you CAN use a random orbital to apply the sealant, but i just put it on and let it soak in for about a good hour, and it just flakes right off. that's all that's on there in those pics up above , only the ex sealant.

Lemans, you dont like klasse? Im just getting into detailing and i just picked up a PC, a concours kit and some little ditties, and its been super shitty up here in Michigan so I havent used any of it yet. Just looking for some insight, Ive heard its great, but that the shine might not be what certain people are looking for. Also I picked up a Sonus pad kit, but am I going to want to use an orange green and black pad setup instead of the yellow, white and blue? Im kinda confused about the different ways to go. Also you can use Klasse aio on glass, would you use an orange pad for that since it isnt really abrasive?

Alex

Lemans, you dont like klasse? Im just getting into detailing and i just picked up a PC, a concours kit and some little ditties, and its been super shitty up here in Michigan so I havent used any of it yet. Just looking for some insight, Ive heard its great, but that the shine might not be what certain people are looking for. Also I picked up a Sonus pad kit, but am I going to want to use an orange green and black pad setup instead of the yellow, white and blue? Im kinda confused about the different ways to go. Also you can use Klasse aio on glass, would you use an orange pad for that since it isnt really abrasive?
Alex
oh no, i love klasse, but it's much harder to apply than i feel it's worth (results wise). i assume you are speaking of klasse wax or polish? if so, i'd use p21s and poorboys polish instead. it's easier and pretty much the same depth and wetness. i also prefer to apply wax by hand. is it necessary? no, not at all, but i always feel better doing everything but polishing by hand. i have not use aio much so i couldn't tell you one way or the other. i personally just use a claybar w/ invisible glass or 20/20. i don't polish my glass anymore because:

a. if I can see out, i think it's clean enough

b. if I cannot see defects, it's clean enough

c. if it requires re-cleaning the glass to find out whether or not i need to polish it, then i won't do it

Im talking about the klasse kit that includes red Klasse all in one and their grey sealant. As far as polish I was thinking of using Sonus because I have their pad kit and it would allow me to use a medium cut and then light polisher before the AIO paint cleaner. As far as that p21s, isnt it a carnuba? I have yet to get too picky, I still have to try out what I have but right now the 6 month layerable protection offered by the klasse sealant sounds pretty good. And if I want get more shiny, I can put a layer of wolfgang on top of the klasse. The only thing that doesnt sound so fun is the 24 hours dry time on that stuff.

Alex

o btw, i hope you bought a good cutting pad, because before you do anything you're going to want to polish then glaze.

If only lemans put as much pride into his enclosures (see below) ... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I was actually waiting for that, I wasn't sure who was going to say it though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

whats wrong with wolfgang, I havent bought any yet but Ive heard its got a nice shine. As far as pads I picked up a Sonus pad kit{yellow, white and blue}. Im not sure but Im thinking Im going to want a orange and black for sure idk.

Alex

there's nothing wrong with it as i said, it's just so hard to apply that i stay away. to be quite honest, there's a line where things go from useful and have purpose to fanfare and the usefulness of the latter is greatly less. for example, let's say i build some nice towers for 1k. those are gonna be some nice ass towers let me tell you. i only buy things i know that will be useful. a week later, i see some wilson audio sophias for 30 grand. do you think they're much better? no, i don't think so.

Being in the military, I've been stationed in a variety of climates:

Coastal North Carolina; Literaly "on the beach" in Puerto Rico; In the dryness of San Diego; Polluted South Korea; and now in rainy Southern Maryland.

Before the military, it was the Mountains of Virgina for several years.

I've tried alot of products over the 18 years I've been driving and the best, BY FAR, is McGuire's. I use the 3 step system (Cleaner Wax, Deep Crystal Polish, and Carnuba Wax) about once every 6 months. in between I just use the Carnuba about every 2-3 months. Here's a typical day of normal cleaning (not waxing):

1) Clean the tires & wheel wells first with Westley's Bleach White and a nylon brush.

2) Clean the rims with McGuire's Mag Wheel Cleaner and a wash mit & brush.

3) Apply two coats of Rain-X to all of the windows.

4) Wash the car from top down using McGuire's Car Wash Gel and a different wask mit. (Also wash the floor mats)

5) Shine the tires up with some McGuire'sTire Dressing using a tire sponge.

6) Take it for a high speed dry off spin with the tunes crankin'! (Also spins off the excess tire dressing)

7) Return home and put speeding ticket in the pile with all the others.

8) Spray Black Magic Tire Wet in the wheel wells.

9) Use a towel or Chammy to dry off the remaining water.

10) Vaccum the interior.

11) Shine up the black plastic trim with Black Magic Tire Wet on a small damp cloth. (Dampness reduces the static build-up on the plastic)

12) Do step 11 to all plastic surfaces on the interior as well.

13) Clean the exterior paint with Eagle One Wet, Wipe and Shine using a dry cotton cloth.

14) Clean the interior and exterior glass using a damp cotton cloth (water only) and dry paper towels. (one at a time, wipe up the water from the cloth with the paper towel BEFORE it completely dries).

15) Jump start my truck since I left the stereo playing the entire time...

Pretty much takes me about 5-6 hours if done properly.

the maximum time I'll spend FULLY detailing anything is a good 7 hours. I cannot see how it is productive to do most of those things as well, let alone in that order. a good wash only takes about an hour, exterior detail before application is about another hour to two hours. if you're spending that much time, you aren't being very productive, as there are several unnecessary steps that could be avoided entirely //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.