What do you guys make of this???

JoshC
10+ year member

The Taco MASTA
Houston, tx
So my builder was running my Obsidian 12s specs threw his program to get the design and what not going. I wanted to go over port options and so i got a millon texts earlyer with my options and along with that he sent a pic of it vs some over specs he had laying around from other recent builds.

Top green/yellow line is a AW 122N @ 600watts- http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3985_Audiobahn-AW122N.html

Blue line is a dub12 @ 400watts - Audiobahn DUB200 12" DUB Series Dual 4 ohms Subwoofer w/ Grill

Red line is a kicker CVR 10 @ 600watts - http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_5821_Kicker-07CVR104-10-inch-800-Watts-CompVR-Dual-4-ohms-Car-Subwoofer.html?aff=72182

and my Obsidian 12 is the bottom green/yellow line @ 600

View attachment 26529896

So why is kickers cheap model and Audiobahn stuff doing better then the obsidian???

I honestly have no knowledge of programs or what that really means, but i can see that my obsidian dosnt have a better response then audiobahn >.>

***All subs in same size box(1.8cu net) @ 33Hz(i think, i know there all in same size box and tuning for the graph)

My builder thinks my box needs to be more like 2.5cu^ft, thoughts?

Programs are programs, they aren't always accurate. ESPECIALLY in the car audio world. The graph may be based on sensitivity, which would simply make some woofers appear to be more powerful, but sensitivity is a pretty useless t/s parameter imo. So a direct comparison via that graph is probably inaccurate. I'll make that obsidian walk all over those other 3 woofers.

Not sure what the BL is on the obsidian or any specs on it at all but one thing you have to remember is some cheaper subs will have an opportunity to get louder than a bigger sub on low power. Simply because it takes more power to get bigger subs moving and to their potential. Just my .02

depends on sensitivity, if thats graph has all the woofers off 1 watt, thats completely irrelevant...

also the FS of all the woofers will be different, along with the efficiency band width. which may lean the sub towards a large box or small box, or even sealed.

ermmmm okay... So dont get a huge port, is 2 3in aeros huge? Cuz thats what were doing lol
I posted that for the part where Nick says

"Pluck your head out of the LDC (Loudspeaker Design Cookbook) and listen to what subwoofer manufacturers tell you to use!!! The results will be worth it I promise. It's better to build it correctly once than having to keep rebuilding it over and over again. "

I would email Nick or ask on their forum what will work best for you.

I posted that for the part where Nick says "Pluck your head out of the LDC (Loudspeaker Design Cookbook) and listen to what subwoofer manufacturers tell you to use!!! The results will be worth it I promise. It's better to build it correctly once than having to keep rebuilding it over and over again. "

I would email Nick or ask on their forum what will work best for you.
Only thing is the manufacturers don't account for what vehicle it is in, so the recommended specs may not be the best option.

Yea im just going to go with 1.8cu^ft @ 32-34Hz via 2 3in precision ports

Im betting that when we drop the sub in after all is said and done, this sub will impress my builder. Hes use to mainstream stuff

Plus i have 1K on tap not 600wrms, so she should be plenty loud

I just did a box about the same size and tuning and ports for a Boston G1 12 and it also works well with a CVX 12 in it as well. Why not just talk to Obsidian about the box? They will be able to provide you with the best support because they did make it after all.

I just did a box about the same size and tuning and ports for a Boston G1 12 and it also works well with a CVX 12 in it as well. Why not just talk to Obsidian about the box? They will be able to provide you with the best support because they did make it after all.

I did, he said about 1.8 @ 33Hz as well. So im just going to stick with that. Using 2 3in aeros for ports, 12in long each thats 32-34Hz

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.