What box

Participant count
  • Participant list
If I was to get a glue and screw it box and each sub calls for 2 cubic feet of air space should I get a box that has 4 cubic feet or should I go for 5?

Should I do double baffle and a flush mount?

What material is best for a box I was going to use a Russian birch wood?
Post up a link to sub manufacturer web page and what vehicle you have and where the box is going and just let me crunch it in my head.

You may want to start a thread on wood but usually birch is a great option, there's just several different kinds, idk specifically about Russian birch.

If you wanna see some of my designs:

Last edited:
Post up a link to sub manufacturer web page and what vehicle you have and where the box is going and just let me crunch it in my head.

You may want to start a thread on wood but usually birch is a great option, there's just several different kinds, idk specifically about Russian birch.

https://sundownaudio.com/collection...s-v2-12-1750w-car-audio-subwoofer-sub-u10-v-2

Going In the trunk of a 2012 nissan altima SR also what the subs facing towards the trunk and not up like they are now

https://sundownaudio.com/collection...s-v2-12-1750w-car-audio-subwoofer-sub-u10-v-2

Going In the trunk of a 2012 nissan altima SR also what the subs facing towards the trunk and not up like they are now
I would face it all rear if it fits and clears, fire ports and subs back towards the trunk lid.

I'd do their exact box recommendations but tune lower for my personal tastes, like 32 hz. I've designed for v1 U's before. Those 12's have a surprisingly high Fs for the design styles I've tended to see from sundown, but the U may be considered a more traditional woofer design vs a sub like the X. Sundown tends to make great subs. One of my personal favorites actually, great choice.

So I'd do 4 cubes and 64 inches squared of port area (16 per cube) at 32 hz or so, personally. That high Fs and the motor strength sundown tends to have and those being medium-ish box 12's means those are probably throwing a ton of air through that port, so I would try to make sure the port area is enough, but I haven't modeled it. Big slot port is what I'm saying.

Last edited:
So like with that Fs of those in low 40's, if you tune to like 35 and your vehicle peaks higher than that, you're gonna get a really hard peak on higher notes and maybe not be as well balanced on lows. That's why I would tuned lower for more musicality to avoid potential brutal peaks at higher frequencies, but if you want that do that and depends on cab resonance.

So like with that Fs of those in low 40's, if you tune to like 35 and your vehicle peaks higher than that, you're gonna get a really hard peak on higher notes and maybe not be as well balanced on lows. That's why I would tuned lower for more musicality to avoid potential brutal peaks at higher frequencies, but if you want that do that and depends on cab resonance.
Okay cool you think a box for these fit a nissan altima trunk? I've been having a problem with the width on alot of glue and screw it boxes bc the opening of trunk is 34 inches but alot of boxes width is 40 inches and then towards the back of the trunk it shrinks in a little bit more so the width at starting I'd like maybe 42 inches and goes down to lime 38 or so but the opening is only 34

However you cut it, the overall volume needs to be as stated, and the port needs to be that specific area of volume to tune at 32. You can vary the dimensions as long as the port and box volumes stay as recommended.

Last edited:
Okay cool you think a box for these fit a nissan altima trunk? I've been having a problem with the width on alot of glue and screw it boxes bc the opening of trunk is 34 inches but alot of boxes width is 40 inches and then towards the back of the trunk it shrinks in a little bit more so the width at starting I'd like maybe 42 inches and goes down to lime 38 or so but the opening is only 34
Go get some shitty wood or cardboard or something and figure out what the max is, play around with different dimensions to see what the max cubic footage is you can fit. So, like make a cardboard box that simulates the biggest sub box you can fit and make sure it's all solid angles and not like misrepresenting the space. That'll also allow you to see if there's enough room around the outside of the box to properly allow air to travel into the cabin, which can sometimes be an issue in some "maxed out" trunks. You can always upfire everything, but that complicates the box design quite a bit.

So you can do: height x width x depth / 1728 to get outer cubic feet. You're looking at a fairly big trunk box.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...