What are these wires? Adapter?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I PM'ed you again and I copied it so I can paste it here.... I don't know what the hell happened to the first one but surely if I try twice one of em will get to you.

Dammit.... I wrote this long response and it disappeared. Oh well... basically, I recommended against the Boss amp. It won't do rated and neither will any other amp that claims over a thousand watts for under $100.00. Some will come close but you simply can't have that much power for that little money, from my experience.

Powerbass is a company whose amps I have used and have seen others use. In fact, I have a Powerbass ASA400.2 (200wpc) on my mids right now because my other mid amp went out on me after 14 years not too long ago. I also recently used an ASA300.2 on a 10" Fosgate woofer in a friend's Chevy Colorado. 300 watts may not sound like much after seeing that 1100 watt claim from Boss but the thing is that the Powerbass amp has a large enough power supply to actually produce all of its rated power. The Boss amp only has enough power supply to produce a portion of its rated power and because of that, the amp will never be as efficient as it could be.

The reason amp makers don't get sued for false advertising is that they do use output transistors that are capable of the power they claim, because those are cheap but, they don't build their power supplies strong enough to power the MOSFETs they use... because power supply parts are more expensive. Think of it like this... it's like having all the parts of a Corvette, from body to suspension to drive train except that your engine is a small 4 cylinder. Sure, the car has the ability to go 180MPH but the most important part of going that fast isn't big enough.

In the end, you're much better off with a $130.00 300 watt amp (Powerbass ASA300.2) than you are with an over rated amp from Boss. And I understand budget concerns too, so if your budget is absolutely $60.00, I would recommend the Legacy LA1110. It also claims 1100 and probably does a clean ~300 of it and, it can be had new for about 60 bucks. I've used that amp on a couple of budget installs and it has worked well. As for Boss, I've used them and seen them underperform, get hot and... cook voice coils. The only Boss amp I've ever used that didn't fail is one I put in a jobsite radio I built about three years ago. It's a 4 channel that does just a little bit better than head unit power and it doesn't get asked to work very hard so, it hasn't had much of a chance to burn up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.