What are these wires? Adapter?

Participant count
  • Participant list

kb24nitro

I have decided to get an Amp and Subs for my car which I had bought with the wiring for subs/amp already installed, as the previous owner took out his subs and amp before he sold the car. However, I am very novice in the car audio field, so I need helping distinguishing what all these wires are, as well as this adapter. I bought MTX TNE212D Dual 12 Inch Subs & Boss R1100M Mosfet Amp to hook up, I just need to know if I have the required wiring and what these wires are?

Here is a picture of the wires and the adapter:

The RCA cables are Monster. The black, red, and blue cable are also Monster cables. Then there are 4 speaker-looking wires, I'm guessing 1 from each speaker?

S9edmmb.jpg

The RCA cables and some of the other cords are plugged into this adapter, but I am not sure what it does, it looks like something else plugs into the other end?

y0RTuyc.jpg

IF DONE CORRECTLY, the red is power, black is ground, blue is remote, and the RCAs are the signal from the LOC (that adapter you saw - it lets you hook up an amp to a stock radio)

And who knows where the speaker wires go. You'll want to follow them to find out.

use the search feature
That is a common response I give others on other forums that I am apart of, unfortunately in this case, I am not sure what to search for. I am just trying to figure out if this wiring is sufficient to support the MTX subs and BOSS R1100M AMP.

IF DONE CORRECTLY, the red is power, black is ground, blue is remote, and the RCAs are the signal from the LOC (that adapter you saw - it lets you hook up an amp to a stock radio)
And who knows where the speaker wires go. You'll want to follow them to find out.
That makes sense, as I do have a stock radio. So what is going to plug into the other end of the adapter? is there some wiring that I am missing? Thanks for your information!

That makes sense, as I do have a stock radio. So what is going to plug into the other end of the adapter? is there some wiring that I am missing?
Is there nothing plugged into it right now? That may be what the speaker wires are for - a LOC connects to your speaker wires and creates a RCA signal from there.

More about the PAC (adapter). I would imagine that the speaker wires you have there are coming from the head unit and should be connected to the other end of the pac.

You can connect the speaker wires to the woofer, one at a time and see if the head unit sends a signal to it with them connected. If so, then connect them to the PAC as noted on it's side and if it's not noted, Google PAC-SNI-35 wiring and find a wiring diagram.

Then, follow the black wire and ensure that it is landed on a bolt that goes through the body of the car. The paint should be scraped down to bare metal where the ground lands. Then... check under the hood for the other end of the red wire and see if it's connected to a fuse and if the fuse is connected to the battery. If so, and there is a fuse in the fuse holder, remove it before doing anything else... in fact, do this before doing ANYTHING else to guard against shorting the wire and making a mess.

Lastly, hook things up accordingly and then get someone to help you set the gains on the amplifier. If you don't have that someone and you don't have a volt meter, set the gain on the amplifier at one quarter turn. If the sub isn't loud enough... don't raise the gain level on the amp, get someone who has the correct equipment to set it for you.

Is there nothing plugged into it right now? That may be what the speaker wires are for - a LOC connects to your speaker wires and creates a RCA signal from there.
If you look at the picture, behind the RCA cables that are plugged in, there are 2 speaker wires which are going into it. However, then what are the other speaker wires that I have which are not connected to anything?

More about the PAC (adapter). I would imagine that the speaker wires you have there are coming from the head unit and should be connected to the other end of the pac.
You can connect the speaker wires to the woofer, one at a time and see if the head unit sends a signal to it with them connected. If so, then connect them to the PAC as noted on it's side and if it's not noted, Google PAC-SNI-35 wiring and find a wiring diagram.

Then, follow the black wire and ensure that it is landed on a bolt that goes through the body of the car. The paint should be scraped down to bare metal where the ground lands. Then... check under the hood for the other end of the red wire and see if it's connected to a fuse and if the fuse is connected to the battery. If so, and there is a fuse in the fuse holder, remove it before doing anything else... in fact, do this before doing ANYTHING else to guard against shorting the wire and making a mess.

Lastly, hook things up accordingly and then get someone to help you set the gains on the amplifier. If you don't have that someone and you don't have a volt meter, set the gain on the amplifier at one quarter turn. If the sub isn't loud enough... don't raise the gain level on the amp, get someone who has the correct equipment to set it for you.
The other end of the PAC does have 2 openings, is that where the 4 other speaker wires that I have are suppose to be connected to then?

I'm sorry, I didn't see the harness coming out of the pac. The other speaker wires may have been to the door speakers and he may have reconnected them to the factory head unit. Use new wire for the sub, unless you have no sound from the door/dash speakers. If that's the case, those wires should go to them.

I'm sorry, I didn't see the harness coming out of the pac. The other speaker wires may have been to the door speakers and he may have reconnected them to the factory head unit. Use new wire for the sub, unless you have no sound from the door/dash speakers. If that's the case, those wires should go to them.
Ok so I went and tracked the wires so see where they went. I realized that the 4 speaker wires that were not plugged into anything was actually one wire(front and end), but I didn't realize it because it was a long wire coming from two sides of the trunk, so I just took that wire out. I took pictures of the harness going into the adapter, as well as the other end of the adapter. The other side of the harness seems to be going into the car, probably the head unit. So I believe I do have everything I need.

GadNBTv.jpg

tWr0NDC.jpg

mFlepvI.jpg

Yep, that solves the mystery and it looks like you have everything you need.

But just an FYI, those amp wires are 10 gauge and your Boss amplifier claims 1100 watts. The Boss won't provide 1100 watts but if it did, that wire is horribly undersized. The Boss amp may provide about 125 watts of clean power and that will be fine. But, if you decide to upgrade to a higher quality amplifier that can provide ~1000 watts of power, you will have to also upgrade your wiring.

For that much real power, you will need at least 4 and possibly 2 gauge wire, depending on how long the run is.

But for now, get it hooked up and get some beats!

Yep, that solves the mystery and it looks like you have everything you need.
But just an FYI, those amp wires are 10 gauge and your Boss amplifier claims 1100 watts. The Boss won't provide 1100 watts but if it did, that wire is horribly undersized. The Boss amp may provide about 125 watts of clean power and that will be fine. But, if you decide to upgrade to a higher quality amplifier that can provide ~1000 watts of power, you will have to also upgrade your wiring.

For that much real power, you will need at least 4 and possibly 2 gauge wire, depending on how long the run is.

But for now, get it hooked up and get some beats!
For the MTX TNE212D, would you have recommended a better amp? It didn't make sense buying an amp that would cost the same as the subs at the time, as I paid $125 for the subs from mtx directly, however, I do not know anything about car audio. The reviews on Amazon people said they love the subs with this AMP, but those people are probably the same as me, and don't know what GOOD really is

The AMP has not actually shipped yet, so if you have suggestions for a better amp in the same price range, I would consider canceling the order and ordering a different one as the subs won't get here till Wednesday/Thursday anyways. At this point, I think anything is going to be a HUGE improvement compared to component bass...

I responded to your PM but after coming back in and reading this thread, I have to also say that if you do buy either of the amps I recommended, you're going to need to up the size of your power wire. I'm a fan of overkill so I'll recommend 4 gauge but with respect to your budget, at least use 8 gauge. Hit up mylows here for a decent quality 8 gauge amp kit and you'll get what you need. And even better than an amp kit, since you don't need patch cables and such, I would recommend just buying about 20' of 4 gauge and a fuse/holder for it. I bet he can set you up with that and the necessary ring terminals to get your system playing right. I think he may even offer the wire with the ring terminals pre installed, in case you don't have the tools to do it yourself. He may even have a comparable amp to the one I recommended.

I responded to your PM but after coming back in and reading this thread, I have to also say that if you do buy either of the amps I recommended, you're going to need to up the size of your power wire. I'm a fan of overkill so I'll recommend 4 gauge but with respect to your budget, at least use 8 gauge. Hit up mylows here for a decent quality 8 gauge amp kit and you'll get what you need. And even better than an amp kit, since you don't need patch cables and such, I would recommend just buying about 20' of 4 gauge and a fuse/holder for it. I bet he can set you up with that and the necessary ring terminals to get your system playing right. I think he may even offer the wire with the ring terminals pre installed, in case you don't have the tools to do it yourself. He may even have a comparable amp to the one I recommended.
Thanks, I will contact mylow and see what he will offer me. For some reason, I did not get your PM though, not sure why? Also, won't I need a wiring that goes from the amp to the subs? Is that something I should purchase extra or could that have been that extra wire that I had found earlier?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.